Builds 2007 GX470 Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A couple of updates, I wanted so bad for balance beads to work so I saw what I wanted to see in the YouTube videos and was hooked, and yeah no those don't work in my 37's, if anything they are worse than my not-so-great balanced tires. I added 16oz a wheel per bad math calculations. Application Calculator - https://www.counteractbalancing.com/application-calculator/ calls for 14 oz with 37" mt's added 2 ounces for the wheels extra chunk and landed on 16oz.

I opted for balance beads because I was in a pinch before a trip and was mounting up some new wheels, with no time to get to a good tire shock for good balancing I thought I'd try my hand and potentially only waste $45. And waste it was.

IMG_4911.jpeg
IMG_4912.jpeg

Last edited:
What are the details on the grill emblem? 175mm?
Are you asking me to measure the emblem, otherwise I don't know what size it is I ordered it with the grill as I said.

A couple of updates, I wanted so bad for balance beads to work so I saw what I wanted to see in the YouTube videos and was hooked, and yeah no those don't work in my 37's, if anything they are worse than my not-so-great balanced tires. I added 16oz a wheel per bad math calculations. Application Calculator - https://www.counteractbalancing.com/application-calculator/ calls for 14 oz with 37" mt's added 2 ounces for the wheels extra chunk and landed on 16oz.

I opted for balance beads because I was in a pinch before a trip and was mounting up some new wheels, with no time to get to a good tire shock for good balancing I thought I'd try my hand and potentially only waste $45. And waste it was.

View attachment 3585246View attachment 3585253
I want to retract my comments on balance the balance beads. After a few more camp trips I decided to remove my wheel spacers (Spydertrax 1.25”). My effects backspacing with the spacers was 3.25” (wheel BS 4.5, spacer 1.25, 4.5-1.25 = yup 3.25). It was clear a firewall chop was required with 3.25 and I’m ok with that, but also wanted to suck these wheels in a bit, so deleting g the spacers was in order. Moving along I noticed LESS a lot LESS vibration at speed,
Still a little here and there but I mean 37” MT….. so maybe they do work.

PSA, when you do a body lift there is a little slack in your electrical and hoses. Not much on the GX though. I had an intermittent issue (might still be there I'm waiting) where the truck would just die. It took me some time, but I finally saw the wiring for the fuel pump was taught...... like a tiger. So I lengthened it.

IMG_5157.jpeg

IMG_5158.jpeg

IMG_5170.jpeg

IMG_5169.jpeg

IMG_5168.jpeg

Then, it started acting funny..... so I replaced the fuel pump.

IMG_5255.jpeg

IMG_5264.jpeg

IMG_5266.jpeg

IMG_5267.jpeg

This weekend I played the Let's learn bead locks the hard way. Keep in mind the manufacturer says OFFROAD USE only and 25psi max.

I find it at the moment kind of like marine engines and equipment, a mix of black magic and luck. When I installed the BLs I lost some bolts, as in the broken at the 3/4 line, thought nothing of it because this company had some issues a few years bag with bad hardware. I likened it to the issues Trail gear had with hub studs on the 80 axle a few years ago. Anyway, I replaced the broken one with a new one from Tractor Supply and went on with my life. I Had this nagging feeling though that the breakage had something to do with the bolt heads not sitting flush, there was the slightest bit of daylight under them..... I sent photos of that and what looked to be no coning (deflection) of the BL Ring to them and we agreed that it looked ok.

A few easy camp/ wheel trips and a few more bolts here and there. Fast forward to this past weekend, I worked all day on a weld/fab project with my brother had dinner, crashed for a couple of hours, and then headed home. The failure happened at 0300 on a cold and lonely section of the turnpike, the bridge had a massive breakdown lane, and that made it better. I swapped in the spare and kept on trucking. Yesterday I did a head count of the # of failed bolts, 19 had snapped in the same way the others before had. I figured the only thing left to try was the spacers to get the mounting surface level or closer to that of a thick bead. Time will tell if the BL's were worth the extra hassle.

IMG_5328.jpeg

IMG_5330.jpeg

Last edited:
Little Beadlock update, the 1/8 or 3mm spacers came in, and I have had just enough time to install them on the offending wheel. THingd that I noticed immediately after the torque sequence.

- torque sequence took less time as the bolt bottomed out and reached torque faster (no chasing)
- bolt heads started on one edge of the hole and ended dead center, whereas before that kept going toward the center causing the coming of the ring.
- the rock ring has a more level appearance compared to what it looked like before.

IMG_5580.jpeg

IMG_5583.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom