SOLD 2006 LX470 w/ 158k miles - OKC, OK - Hail Damaged (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. LX470
Mileage
Color
Silver
The short of it:

Recently my hundo got golf ball-ified via a recent hail storm and it got my wife and I thinking about our options/potentially moving into a 200. I'm either going to keep it mostly as is and put the insurance money into fun bits, or sell it and get into a 200.

What do you guys think it's worth/any interested parties out there? Price is $16k and firm. If I don't get that, it doesn't make sense for me to move into something else, and thus doesn't make sense for me to sell it.

ROCK WARRIORS AND CARGO PLATFORM NOT INCLUDED WITH SALE - see below for more info.

The long of it:

I bought the truck last summer from a guy in FL with ~145k miles on it. The truck spent some time in the NE - there is some surface rust underneath but I haven't found any major spots. Maintenance records prior to FL guy are non-existent other than what's on CarFax/the Lexus owner's site. Here's the maintenance he did and I have his receipts for most of it: "OEM water pump and timing belt; new front axles and hub bearings; new spark plugs and coils; AHC fluid from Toyota; front differential bushings 5 of them; engine, transmission and differential oil changed; new throttle body and I'm sure a few other things I can't remember." I believe he also did the heater tees as I've checked them and they don't appear aged (I see no evidence of leaking, discoloration or cracking). However, I don't see anything in his original ad and there's no receipt for them.

Since ownership I've replaced the rear hatch struts, changed the oil, replaced 4 out of the 6 window trims (all except the rear windows), greased the driveshaft, and removed the annoying lock on the spare tire lift. I replaced the rusted muffler with a Magnaflow unit. It's louder than stock, but not "loud". If you punch it, you can hear it but otherwise it easily falls into the background. Added WeatherTech floor mats and cargo mat. FL guy also had new-in-the-bag Lexus mats that I'll include with sale.

I also added the Rock Warriors w/ 1" Bora spacers and the ADGU platform (neither included with sale - the Bora's could be included if the buyer wants them). Other than that it's just been gas and go.

Here's the truck as best as I can represent it:

1621720548702.png

The Good:
-Everything works. If there's a button that should do something, it does it.
-Motor runs strong and transmission shifts smooth. Not really a surprise at 158k, but figured it was worth mentioning
-Leather seats are in great condition. One small cut/tear on the front passenger seat, and usual wear on the driver's seat.
-Interior is a 8/10 as far as I can tell. If it weren't for the broken button on the radio and the lack of 3rd row seats, it'd be a 9/10 in my book.
-Well functioning AHC
-No weird smells and doesn't appear that it has been smoked in or used to transport large amounts of cats
-Air blows cold

The 'Meh':
-Exterior WAS in great condition other than a couple door dings, aged headlights, and a bit of damage on the hood/wiper where I assume someone opened the hood with the wiper up (pictured). It's still in pretty great condition and if I do keep it I'll fix some of the more egregious dents on the passenger side, throw a rack on the roof, and send it. It'll still be a looker.
-Missing the third row. Never wanted it or needed it so it's one less thing to take up space in my garage. I also partially removed the 3rd row seat belts and hid them behind the trim. Still have all hardware if a buyer wants to undo it and find some seats.

The Bad:
-Hail damage... Duh.
-There is a periodic clunk under acceleration. It's not the diff. bushings or driveshaft. I believe it's the rear control arms. Realistically all of the suspension bushings need to be replaced. It's next on my list if I do keep it.
-Tires on the stock wheels have some life left in them, but they'll need to be replaced in the next 10k miles or so.
-Surface rust on the undercarriage
-Maintenance records are pretty weak. I've had the truck looked over and have put 13k miles on it with no issues, but it's not a "binder full of receipts" situation.
-Accident on the CarFax to the passenger side front door. You can see the paint matching isn't perfect in the right light.

There's probably some other pros and cons but that's all that comes to mind. I think it'd be an awesome deal for someone that plans on wheeling the truck and doesn't mind some body damage, but if I can't find that person... I guess I'll just have to be that person. :steer:

Link to pre-hail damage pics:
Link to hail damage pics:

Last edited:
By any means I wasn't trying to be a dick, but people also need to realize that hail isn't cheap. I have people all the time tell me that it's insane how much it is but when they go to two or three other places, and the price is about the same the realize. Your buyers need to be aware as well. Yes if they own a body shop or do pdr it could be a decent buy. But the labor in that is intense. Cutting roofs off. Tearing headliners out. Replacing panels, blending panels. It's a mess. Good luck with it man
Again, a moot point.

A: If they have no intention of fixing the roof (I likely won't if I keep it) then "cutting roofs off" and the headliner isn't an issue. A new fender and a couple PDR pulls and this truck is mostly back to 'good from far' quality.

B: The classified listing literally has the following language: "I think it'd be an awesome deal for someone that plans on wheeling the truck and doesn't mind some body damage."

If you want to educate people on hail damage, by all means make a thread and do so. If someone came here looking to fix it, feel fry to chime in on what you think the damage costs. No one has done that, you described the truck as "smoked" and shared plenty of horror stories that no one has requested. I'm trying to be nice about this, but the truck clearly isn't for you or anyone that plans on making it a trailer queen, so I'm not sure why you're still here/chiming in with how difficult and expensive the repairs would be.

Again, a moot point.

A: If they have no intention of fixing the roof (I likely won't if I keep it) then "cutting roofs off" and the headliner isn't an issue. A new fender and a couple PDR pulls and this truck is mostly back to 'good from far' quality.

B: The classified listing literally has the following language: "I think it'd be an awesome deal for someone that plans on wheeling the truck and doesn't mind some body damage."

If you want to educate people on hail damage, by all means make a thread and do so. If someone came here looking to fix it, feel fry to chime in on what you think the damage costs. No one has done that, you described the truck as "smoked" and shared plenty of horror stories that no one has requested. I'm trying to be nice about this, but the truck clearly isn't for you or anyone that plans on making it a trailer queen, so I'm not sure why you're still here/chiming in with how difficult and expensive the repairs would be.
Cool. Well again. Good luck with the sell.

I run a body shop, and just looking at pictures, that thing is smoked, to get 16K would be a miracle, I do hail all the time here, usually golf ball size hail brings a estimate to 8k-20k Highest I had was a 2020 Ram and it was a 26k. Usually the roofs get it so bad the metal stretches and a roof replacement is the only thing that will fix it, not saying that's the case. But the bill for this is over 8k for sure. I would say your best bet, take it to a body shop, have them write an estimate "they are free" See what the damage is, judge accordingly, thats assuming you haven't already done that, and decided to keep the check which alot of people do. Good luck man
Does your body shop do paint less dent repair in house?

Fix it and run it. My 100 got rolled and seriously messed up but I still think I’ll fix it (and take a $$ beating doing it) A good hundred is worth a lot. All that criticism in the years past is gone. They are amazing trucks.

Fix it and run it. My 100 got rolled and seriously messed up but I still think I’ll fix it (and take a $$ beating doing it) A good hundred is worth a lot. All that criticism in the years past is gone. They are amazing trucks.
There’s a decent chance I will. Current plan is to have insurance fix everything except the roof (because who gives a s*** about the roof), pocket the rest of the money, and either sell it or run it. At the end of the day a 200 probably fits our life better, but every time I drive that silver golf ball I fall back in love with it. I’m sure I’ll love the 200 if it goes that way, but it will be tough to let her go.

You won't even notice the roof when its covered in a sweet Bowfin Cruiser Rack!

Ok, update here: The plan is to drop the truck off with the body shop and see how much they can write it up with the insurance (without it getting totaled), fix everything they can for that amount, and then I'll still sell the truck for $16k to any MUD members. Will likely list it for $17,500 on TLC Marketplace on Facebook (don't know if I'll get it, but worth a try). I feel like it's no skin off my ass to make the insurance payout as much as possible before passing it on to the next owner.

Planning on fixing everything except the roof if possible. Will have to make some hard decisions on what to fix if I can't get it all, but the shop I've been working with has been great so I think I can get it close. If anyone has any input on what to fix/not fix, or wants to hop in line, feel free to post here or DM me. Otherwise, I'll update the listing with new photos in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom