2006 LX470 tow settings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi-

I've got a 2006 LX470. According to Lexus and the manual this particular vehicle can tow 6,500#. I'm planning on towing a trailer that has a dry weight of 3,700# across the southeast over the next few months. Assuming additional stuff in the trailer/LX plus the weight of passengers in the LX that's another 1,000#-1,300# approximately so a total 4,700# - 5,000# trailer and stuff on top of the curb weight of the LX.

I'm trying to understand and seek out recommendations for the best drive settings when hauling this trailer thru the hillsides of the southeast. Is overdrive automatically on? Is it best to turn it off? How do you turn it off? The manual says when towing or hill climbing, 4th gear should be used. I took it out for a test drive with the trailer for a few hours on the highway yesterday. I was cruising at 60-70 mph in 4th gear. The RPM was generally between 3K and 4K depending on the grade. I don't know if this is fine or if it's bad. It seemed to be driving fine and the engine temperature gauge seemed to maintain as constant as if it were not towing anything. Any recommendations or concerns on towing with the above details are appreciated.

Thanks,

Follow what your user manual suggests. They provide the information for you to use, not just ponder.

For that tow weight, you may want to consider (and I recommend) a weight distribution/anti-sway hitch setup, and a trailer brake controller (if your trailer has electric brakes). Another option is to get rear airbags (Airlift) for use with the rear springs, but these becomes redundant when you use a proper WD/AS hitch setup. You'll want the additional support for the rear AHC system, which is the primary reason for the airbags or WD/AS hitch.

Is overdrive automatically on? Is it best to turn it off? How do you turn it off?

Overdrive is "D" or "5th" on an A750F.

Probably.

Place the shifter in 4th gear.

Thanks for the feedback- I do have a brake controller installed along with a weight distribution hitch and sway bar. And good to confirm the 4th gear. I appreciate the quick responses

I would argue that this all depends on how 'attentive' of a driver you are and where you're going to be towing. I tow with both my LX and 2.7L ecoboost F150. I've towed up to about 5500 lbs behinds the LX (in the form of an open car trailer hauling a race car) and up to 8400 lbs behind the f150 (in the form of an enclosed 24 foot v-nose race trailer).

I think tire size matters here, as I have 33's, which gears down the LX a bit. I found that towing that heavy of a load on flat ground in the LX was uncomfortable in that it definitely struggled to maintain 70 mph in fifth gear (drive). I'm okay with that, however, as I am a little OCD on avoiding gear hunting - I wouldn't allow it to downshift on it's own, I would force it into fourth whenever I had a heavy headwind, but then let it lope along in fifth whenever it wasn't struggling so hard. This is way more intrusive than simply putting it in fourth and letting cruise control sort it out for you.

Since you're hauling a travel trailer, it's probably even worse for the LX given that my racecar and trailer are relatively aerodynamic compared to what you'll be towing. Stock tire size will help you a bit, though.

Regular fifth gear is fine to use provided you're not allowing the transmission to constantly swap back and forth between fourth and fifth. If it's flat and nice weather, drive/fifth is fine. If it's hilly, windy, or the truck is just struggling to maintain speed at 2500 rpm, probably just stay in fourth to avoid gear hunting. Drop speed accordingly as well, 4k rpm all day isn't great for your driveline (in my opinion).

What kills automatic transmissions is heat. Our trans is pretty happy to lock up in gear, which takes the torque converter out of the equation and saves a ton of heat. It doesn't really matter what gear you are in as long as the transmission isn't continually changing gears; that's where all the extra heat from towing comes from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom