2005 LX470 - What do i need to get started? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No way you'll get $25k for that piece of junk. Just let me send you a check for $2k for your trouble and I'll take it to a junk yard. You can just leave the keys in it, that way you won't even have to take any time out of your day.

Seriously, I like @4Beast advice. I put a couple thousand miles on mine a year, so I went w/ full mud tires. They don't ride that much worse than the older street tires I had one it before. Also, don't know from experience, but I hear you probably want to remove the rear mudflaps so you don't rip them off. Landcruiserphil has the mudflap delete for just a few bucks. 10 minutes could save you from ripping off your bumper.

There is no air up system faster then CO2 until you are out then you are SOL. If you are a traveler I would shy away from CO2 if you like airing down.

I've been wondering about the CO2 systems as well, but knowing myself, I'd use it then I'd forget it was empty until i needed it.

If it's only going to be an occasional wheeling rig, then (and I'm probably in the minority here) I'd go with the biggest most aggressive tires that fit (MTs or something) since you won't care about road manners. As others have said, get rid of the "damage multiplier" bullbar, running boards etc. You can do a winch without a bumper, if you want to maintain more of a stock look. Also look into the sensor lift options, if you want.

TBO, if you're going to have two trucks, I'd still sell that one, as it's really nice, and then buy an LX450 or something, modify it and wheel the ever-loving crap out of it however you want with no worries.

Taking those two items off won't be an issue, so definitely will do that before the first adventure. Where can I get a winch that fits the stock bumper? I definitely want to keep the stock look. I did some searching but found nothing I could buy. There was a DIY project but nothing off-the-shelf.

Is my 2005 so nice that it is now not good for off-roading? I get that it is really nice, but if I can't even sell it for $23k (my line in the sand) my choices are give it away or off-road a really nice specimen. Hey, I really don't want to sell it, but I can't keep two trucks with the same role. If I do that my new LX won't get driven! I guess another question is....how bad is it going to get beat up doing some easy off-roading?

Maybe think about getting some rock sliders and skid plates if you are going to be doing some light off roading and not putting on a lift.... Then if you find yourself in a bad position at least you won't be damaging the underside of your rig, which I'm sure is in great shape. That's my 2 cents!

No way you'll get $25k for that piece of junk. Just let me send you a check for $2k for your trouble and I'll take it to a junk yard. You can just leave the keys in it, that way you won't even have to take any time out of your day.

Seriously, I like @4Beast advice. I put a couple thousand miles on mine a year, so I went w/ full mud tires. They don't ride that much worse than the older street tires I had one it before. Also, don't know from experience, but I hear you probably want to remove the rear mudflaps so you don't rip them off. Landcruiserphil has the mudflap delete for just a few bucks. 10 minutes could save you from ripping off your bumper.

I appreciate your generosity, but I will take one for the team and keep this POS. Thanks for the tips on removing the rear mudflaps. Will do that! As far as tires go, I was looking at the BFG KO2s. We may end up driving a couple hours to a good trail, so didn't want to lose all road manners.

Taking those two items off won't be an issue, so definitely will do that before the first adventure. Where can I get a winch that fits the stock bumper? I definitely want to keep the stock look. I did some searching but found nothing I could buy. There was a DIY project but nothing off-the-shelf.

Is my 2005 so nice that it is now not good for off-roading? I get that it is really nice, but if I can't even sell it for $23k (my line in the sand) my choices are give it away or off-road a really nice specimen. Hey, I really don't want to sell it, but I can't keep two trucks with the same role. If I do that my new LX won't get driven! I guess another question is....how bad is it going to get beat up doing some easy off-roading?
This is one of the Mud supporting vendors, but there are others too.

It's your truck, so you have to do whatever you see fit. I also have an 05 and it gets more than "light" offroading" at times, but I definitely worry about body damage etc. so I'm considering keeping it as an "overlanding" rig and getting more of a dedicated trail rig. Honestly, your 100 or stock 200 can do light offroading without even slowing down. It's my experience (and likely others on here) that once you get the bug, you'll want to do more than "light" offroading. Also, it's nice to be able to expand the choice of adventures and people you go with, and not have that feeling that your truck can't "keep up." And there is probably no better feeling than rescuing a stuck Jeep or Land Rover in your soccermom mobile.

I appreciate your generosity, but I will take one for the team and keep this POS. Thanks for the tips on removing the rear mudflaps. Will do that! As far as tires go, I was looking at the BFG KO2s. We may end up driving a couple hours to a good trail, so didn't want to lose all road manners.

Ya good idea Mud Flap Eliminators 🆒

That winch setup looks good. Thanks for that. I like it! As far as my 05, i guess i figure if i can’t get $23k out of it i might as well repurpose it for its intended purpose. Tough call, but it would be a fun second chapter for it. Better than giving it away.

Maybe think about getting some rock sliders and skid plates if you are going to be doing some light off roading and not putting on a lift.... Then if you find yourself in a bad position at least you won't be damaging the underside of your rig, which I'm sure is in great shape. That's my 2 cents!

Definitely will look into that!

I recently bought a 98 LX470 and started building it. I got White Knuckle rock sliders for it. now I'm looking for a front bumper

DSC_0114.JPG

Thanks! Researching...

Get em for that 200 as well! Keep that carpet pristine! Husky, Weathertech, Rugged Ridge, ect... anything with deep sides.

Head over to Golden and visit Slee- heading out of G on your way to Boulder. I’m sure they can set you up.

There is no air up system faster then CO2 until you are out then you are SOL. If you are a traveler I would shy away from CO2 if you like airing down.

I was under the impression he was bombing around in Colorado. That's why I suggested the Co2 setup over air. I like my Puma compressor, but it always struggles at the high altitude when filling the 315's. At lower elevations it makes for a nice setup and for doing chores around camp like dusting the inside of the vehicle.

I was under the impression he was bombing around in Colorado. That's why I suggested the Co2 setup over air. I like my Puma compressor, but it always struggles at the high altitude when filling the 315's. At lower elevations it makes for a nice setup and for doing chores around camp like dusting the inside of the vehicle.

I am in Colorado. To clarify, how long would it take to refill 275/70/18 tires with a compressor vs co2?

Get em for that 200 as well! Keep that carpet pristine! Husky, Weathertech, Rugged Ridge, ect... anything with deep sides.

Thanks. Good idea!

Head over to Golden and visit Slee- heading out of G on your way to Boulder. I’m sure they can set you up.

Yep, went last Saturday but they were closed. Will go over there this week.

I am in Colorado. To clarify, how long would it take to refill 275/70/18 tires with a compressor vs co2?

275/70-18 14 - 35psi
Estimate at sea level
MF-1050 - 3 minute per tire
Puma Less than 2min per tire
Co2 - 1min 15 sec

Are you bumping your RPM's during air up? I find running at ~1500 rpm (13.5volts) I cut 15sec off each tire fill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom