2004 LX470 185,000 service/ maintenance questions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellas, hope is all is well and everyone had a good holidays. I haven't been on here very much b/c I've been out enjoying the heck out of my "LuxCruiser." since I got it back in October. I have not had any issues however, I am approaching my 185,000 mark on the odo. Which means it's time for the timing belt/ water pump replacement. I've also decided to do my heater T's and hoses as well. Toyota & Lexus both quoted me around $1,700 for the job, but I found a reputable mechanic near me who has serviced plenty a L.C's and LX470's who said if I purchased everything needed he would do the job for less than what stealership's are looking to charge me.
The timing belt kit I'm looking to purchase is going to run me around $380 off eBay and come with the following:
  • TOYOTA GENUINE COOLANT
  • AISIN WATER PUMP w/GASKET WPT800
  • KP WATER OUTLET GASKET 16341-50020 (For water by pass joint, Not for water pump)
  • AISIN/TOYOTA SILICONE GLUE SEALANT
  • MITSUBOSHI TIMIING BELT TB298
  • KOYO TENSIONER 13505-50030
  • KOYO IDLER TENSIONER 13503-50011
  • NTN HYDRAULIC TENSIONER 13540-50030
  • THO 2 CAMSHAFT SEALS 90311-38065
  • THO CRANKSHAFT SEAL 90311 - 43006 / 90311-A0001
  • BANDO/MITSUBOSHI SERPENTINE/DRIVE BELT 6PK2240
  • GATES RADIATOR UPPER & LOWER HOSES 21660 Upper + 22491 Lower
  • TAMA NTCL THERMOSTAT 90916-03100 / WV64TA-82A
  • THO THERMOSTAT GASKET 16346-50010

Does this kit have everything I need for the job to be completed? If not, what else am I going to need? I'm also wondering what other services I should have performed at this mile mark since it's going to be in the shop?

Fan clutch, serp belt tensioner / bearing, alternator, new radiator cap... those were my ‘while you are in there’ extra replacements. I also used that eBay kit with an Indy mechanic. So far so good, I’ve put about 1k miles since the service.

What is THO?

USE OEM oil seals and never aftermarket. OEM oil seals are made by "NOK"

Also get OEM hoses, clamps, thermostat and gasket. IF you havent change heater "T" do those too.

How about new brush kit for the alternator?

180 k service includes 30k service interval items. Plenty of forums on service intervals here, but it includes driveline fluids and bearing service. Search for 30k service.

Full high mileage motor tune up if it hasn't been done.

Don't forget to grease spindle bearings.

Fan clutch, serp belt tensioner / bearing, alternator, new radiator cap... those were my ‘while you are in there’ extra replacements. I also used that eBay kit with an Indy mechanic. So far so good, I’ve put about 1k miles since the service.
Thanks for mentioning those extras to get taken care of while they are in there. Since you used the kit I am looking at, do you by any chance know if all items in that kit are OEM?

What is THO?

USE OEM oil seals and never aftermarket. OEM oil seals are made by "NOK"

Also get OEM hoses, clamps, thermostat and gasket. IF you havent change heater "T" do those too.

How about new brush kit for the alternator?
I think THO is the company. I'm going to email the person selling the water pump kits and make sure all parts included are OEM.

As for the heater T's I will be replacing those as well as the hoses.

180 k service includes 30k service interval items. Plenty of forums on service intervals here, but it includes driveline fluids and bearing service. Search for 30k service.

Full high mileage motor tune up if it hasn't been done.

Don't forget to grease spindle bearings.
What does the Full high mileage tune up include and usually cost?

You could add spark plugs, PCV, and PCV grommet, valve cover gaskets... always more to do if you’re so inclined.

Consider adding the fan bracket as well. It has to come off anyway. If it's like mine, it'll s*** the bed right after doing the timing job.

Amazon product ASIN B0031GCUEY is what I used. Mine is an '03, double-check that it fits your MY.

It might end up being slightly more costly, but I think it makes sense to get the timing kit from Cruiser Outfitters, and the rest of the parts from the local dealer (or if you have a little time, order for less online at somewhere like Camelback or McGeorge). Thermostat, radiator hoses, coolant, etc...no reason not to get Toyota quality stuff, because the price difference just isn't that big.

Edit: I'd agree it's a pretty good time to refresh the alternator ( brushes), but I'm not totally sure that makes sense if you're not doing the work yourself.

Consider adding the fan bracket as well. It has to come off anyway. If it's like mine, it'll s*** the bed right after doing the timing job.

Amazon product ASIN B0031GCUEY is what I used. Mine is an '03, double-check that it fits your MY.

It might end up being slightly more costly, but I think it makes sense to get the timing kit from Cruiser Outfitters, and the rest of the parts from the local dealer (or if you have a little time, order for less online at somewhere like Camelback or McGeorge). Thermostat, radiator hoses, coolant, etc...no reason not to get Toyota quality stuff, because the price difference just isn't that big.

Edit: I'd agree it's a pretty good time to refresh the alternator ( brushes), but I'm not totally sure that makes sense if you're not doing the work yourself.

Yeah great advice, buy the kit from cruiser outfitter and then the recommendations you get buy at toyotapartsdeal or lexuspartsnow to make sure getting high quality OEM parts and not trust these sneaky ebay/amazon sellers.

I'd agree it's a pretty good time to refresh the alternator ( brushes), but I'm not totally sure that makes sense if you're not doing the work yourself.
[/QUOTE]

What is refreshing the alternator (brushes)?

I'd agree it's a pretty good time to refresh the alternator ( brushes), but I'm not totally sure that makes sense if you're not doing the work yourself.

[/QUOTE]

It's just replacing the brushes, because by 185K they're going to be worn down some. Often suggested because the alternator is kind of a bear to get to, and it's much more accessible with everything torn down for the timing job.

It's just replacing the brushes, because by 185K they're going to be worn down some. Often suggested because the alternator is kind of a bear to get to, and it's much more accessible with everything torn down for the timing job.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for explaining that. So should I have the alternator freshed, or should I just replace it?

Alright, was finally able to get quotes from the Lexus & Toyota dealerships about getting my timing belt / water pump and all other parts recommended, serviced. Lexus is a big no go! They quoted me $3,500 for all the parts and an additional $9,980 for the labor. When I went to Toyota for a quote. The master mechanic inspected my LX for free and quoted me, parts & labor wise:
- $1,328.00 to replace the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, & the tensioner assembly. He advised me not to replace anything else until he inspected it.
- $138.00 for a valve cover reseal/degrease
- $532.00 to adjust & repack both front wheel bearings
- $133.00 for a powering steering flush and fill & to repair the leak in the hoses
- $476.00 to replace all the Heater T's & coolant hoses.

As far as a quote from my Indy mechanic, I am still waiting to hear back. He is willing to do the job, but he has kind of expressed that he is concerned about me buying and bringing him the parts. Only for the mere fact, that if they send the wrong parts, then my LX is going to have to sit until the right parts arrive and he will charge me.

......he has kind of expressed that he is concerned about me buying and bringing him the parts. Only for the mere fact, that if they send the wrong parts, then my LX is going to have to sit until the right parts arrive and he will charge me.

Im surprised he is even half-willing to let you bring parts. Most dont like to do that for the reason stated. I'd want to put that liability on him, not you.

Hey fellas, hope is all is well and everyone had a good holidays. I haven't been on here very much b/c I've been out enjoying the heck out of my "LuxCruiser." since I got it back in October. I have not had any issues however, I am approaching my 185,000 mark on the odo. Which means it's time for the timing belt/ water pump replacement. I've also decided to do my heater T's and hoses as well. Toyota & Lexus both quoted me around $1,700 for the job, but I found a reputable mechanic near me who has serviced plenty a L.C's and LX470's who said if I purchased everything needed he would do the job for less than what stealership's are looking to charge me.
The timing belt kit I'm looking to purchase is going to run me around $380 off eBay and come with the following:
  • TOYOTA GENUINE COOLANT
  • AISIN WATER PUMP w/GASKET WPT800
  • KP WATER OUTLET GASKET 16341-50020 (For water by pass joint, Not for water pump)
  • AISIN/TOYOTA SILICONE GLUE SEALANT
  • MITSUBOSHI TIMIING BELT TB298
  • KOYO TENSIONER 13505-50030
  • KOYO IDLER TENSIONER 13503-50011
  • NTN HYDRAULIC TENSIONER 13540-50030
  • THO 2 CAMSHAFT SEALS 90311-38065
  • THO CRANKSHAFT SEAL 90311 - 43006 / 90311-A0001
  • BANDO/MITSUBOSHI SERPENTINE/DRIVE BELT 6PK2240
  • GATES RADIATOR UPPER & LOWER HOSES 21660 Upper + 22491 Lower
  • TAMA NTCL THERMOSTAT 90916-03100 / WV64TA-82A
  • THO THERMOSTAT GASKET 16346-50010

Does this kit have everything I need for the job to be completed? If not, what else am I going to need? I'm also wondering what other services I should have performed at this mile mark since it's going to be in the shop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom