2002 Tacoma TRD value (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2002 Tacoma TRD with a rotted out frame, pretty bad. Other than the frame rot the tuck runs and looks great. What would it be worth, if anything, and where to sell? Should I claim it on my auto insurance if it breaks completely in half?

Would auto insurance pay a claim for rust? I doubt it. Your engine fails insurance doesn't pay unless you has a extended warranty. But doubt would pay for rust those usually cover mechanical failures. Rust would it was a lack of maintenance in their opinion for not keeping salt washed off. Now if they sell insurance for rust that is something I would know nothing about being in AZ.

I see plenty of car hauling semi trailers leaving AZ with rust free vehicles for the rust belt. Either to sell out right or to gut the UV damaged interior and replace with a parts from a vehicle like yours that usual have far better interiors.

Have you called your Toyota dealer to see if there are any open recalls on your frame? There was a massive one on Tacomas in the late 90's early 2000's that hadcustomer's entire frames replaced (for free) due to the fact that Toyota didn't put a good rust preventative on them.

Have you called your Toyota dealer to see if there are any open recalls on your frame? There was a massive one on Tacomas in the late 90's early 2000's that hadcustomer's entire frames replaced (for free) due to the fact that Toyota didn't put a good rust preventative on them.
Yes, I contacted my dealer and was told since the PO didn't bring it in for a spray on frame coating stuff when he got a service bulletin from Toyota in 2007 that it made my truck not eligible for a free frame replacement. The dealership had three Tacomas in the shop getting new frames when I inquired about my frame. They said that the rule sucks but it is what it is. I bought the truck in 2010 from this dealership that I'm mentioning.

If the truck is good otherwise you could have the frame replaced yourself. A Toyota salesman told me about 40 hours labor. Plus frame, shocks, lines, etc.

Pricy, but I just had 6K worth of work done to my 4Runner because it was worth it to me. Cheaper than buying a used truck you don’t know.

If the truck is good otherwise you could have the frame replaced yourself. A Toyota salesman told me about 40 hours labor. Plus frame, shocks, lines, etc.

Pricy, but I just had 6K worth of work done to my 4Runner because it was worth it to me. Cheaper than buying a used truck you don’t know.
Yes that's an idea. But I think I read somewhere that it would cost in the neighborhood of $12,000 for the frame replacement. The truck runs and looks great but that is a lot of money for a truck with 280,000 miles.

I watch a lot of 1st gens go across the auction block from anywhere between $1500-$3000 as a "salvage" price. I would definiltey look into replacing the frame if you can. I'm trying to find a low mileage rollover and a rusted frame truck like your's that's in otherwise great shape.

I watch a lot of 1st gens go across the auction block from anywhere between $1500-$3000 as a "salvage" price. I would definiltey look into replacing the frame if you can. I'm trying to find a low mileage rollover and a rusted frame truck like your's that's in otherwise great shape.
Thank you for the info, it gives me some hope.

So the original owner didn’t get the frame sprayed in 2007? Then he traded it in to a Toyota dealership in 2010 and that dealership is where you bought the truck in 2010?

Why didn’t the dealership handle the service bulletin issue in 2010 before they resold the vehicle? And if they say the frame condition was past the point of being able to spray, then my next question would be if you were made aware of the frame condition before you purchased this vehicle in 2010. In my opinion the dealership shares some responsibility with this situation.

So the original owner didn’t get the frame sprayed in 2007? Then he traded it in to a Toyota dealership in 2010 and that dealership is where you bought the truck in 2010?

Why didn’t the dealership handle the service bulletin issue in 2010 before they resold the vehicle? And if they say the frame condition was past the point of being able to spray, then my next question would be if you were made aware of the frame condition before you purchased this vehicle in 2010. In my opinion the dealership shares some responsibility with this situation.
I was not made aware of the frame condition when I purchased the vehicle from the dealership. The way I found out about the frame rot was when I got into a minor accident, I got hit in the rear quarter panel, and I took it in to be repaired. This was about three years ago. I picked it up from the place that repaired it, which was a different Toyota dealership than I bought it, they did a great job with the repair and after driving it for a day I noticed the alignment was off a bit so I took it back to be realigned. They called me back later that day and told me my frame was not safe to drive because of the rust. This is what started the whole ball rolling. I contacted the dealership that I bought it from and they said I was eligible for a frame replacement, in fact they had three Tacomas getting frame replacements at that time. Then they looked up my vin to schedule a frame replacement and saw that the frame didn't get the frame spray service in 2007 so my truck was not eligible for a frame replacement. I asked why I wasn't told about this issue when I purchased it from them. They told me they weren't aware of it and it is not their problem, etc. I also went round and round with Toyota Headquarters in California and they basically told me I was S#@T out of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom