2002 Tacoma TRD value

I have a 2002 Tacoma TRD with a rotted out frame, pretty bad. Other than the frame rot the tuck runs and looks great. What would it be worth, if anything, and where to sell? Should I claim it on my auto insurance if it breaks completely in half?

Living in the Past

SILVER Star

Would auto insurance pay a claim for rust? I doubt it. Your engine fails insurance doesn't pay unless you has a extended warranty. But doubt would pay for rust those usually cover mechanical failures. Rust would it was a lack of maintenance in their opinion for not keeping salt washed off. Now if they sell insurance for rust that is something I would know nothing about being in AZ.

I see plenty of car hauling semi trailers leaving AZ with rust free vehicles for the rust belt. Either to sell out right or to gut the UV damaged interior and replace with a parts from a vehicle like yours that usual have far better interiors.

yotadude520

Mini-Truck Enthusiast
SILVER Star
Have you called your Toyota dealer to see if there are any open recalls on your frame? There was a massive one on Tacomas in the late 90's early 2000's that hadcustomer's entire frames replaced (for free) due to the fact that Toyota didn't put a good rust preventative on them.

Have you called your Toyota dealer to see if there are any open recalls on your frame? There was a massive one on Tacomas in the late 90's early 2000's that hadcustomer's entire frames replaced (for free) due to the fact that Toyota didn't put a good rust preventative on them.
Yes, I contacted my dealer and was told since the PO didn't bring it in for a spray on frame coating stuff when he got a service bulletin from Toyota in 2007 that it made my truck not eligible for a free frame replacement. The dealership had three Tacomas in the shop getting new frames when I inquired about my frame. They said that the rule sucks but it is what it is. I bought the truck in 2010 from this dealership that I'm mentioning.

Weedhopper

Rust Patrol
SILVER Star

If the truck is good otherwise you could have the frame replaced yourself. A Toyota salesman told me about 40 hours labor. Plus frame, shocks, lines, etc.

Pricy, but I just had 6K worth of work done to my 4Runner because it was worth it to me. Cheaper than buying a used truck you don’t know.

If the truck is good otherwise you could have the frame replaced yourself. A Toyota salesman told me about 40 hours labor. Plus frame, shocks, lines, etc.

Pricy, but I just had 6K worth of work done to my 4Runner because it was worth it to me. Cheaper than buying a used truck you don’t know.
Yes that's an idea. But I think I read somewhere that it would cost in the neighborhood of $12,000 for the frame replacement. The truck runs and looks great but that is a lot of money for a truck with 280,000 miles.

Top Bottom