2002 4RUNNER SR5 - Guidance Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Friends,

I have an 85 FJ60 that I've been daily driving and need to get something a little more friendly to the daily grind.

My good friend has a 2002 4Runner SR5 with 142,000 miles that needs some TLC but he is the original owner. It has been in two collisions (nothing major some minor paint work) and it is lifted with some after-market parts. It needs some interior reconditioning (new mats, detail, shampoo seats, + new center console) and needs an alignment + timing belt.

What do you think is a fair price for the car? How much should I expect to pay for the timing belt etc.? Any suggestions on good online places to buy 4Runner parts for the cheap?

I'm located in Portland, OR would also love some shop recommendations.

Thanks all!

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 11.29.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 11.29.30 AM.png

I think you are planning to pay someone else to do the mechanical work since you asked about shops. Timing belt will require tensioners replacement and water pump, front crank seal and the belt. Typically change one or both of the radiator hoses with that. paying someone else, expect 800-1200 if i recall. If you do it yourself, about 300-400 dollars going all oem parts. Is pretty easy with toyota belts as they are marked for the timing. you can go cheaper with aftermarket parts. remember you need to get toyota coolant as you will end up draining all of the current coolant.

https://www.rockauto.com/
www.partsouq.com
https://www.amayama.com/en
www.partsgeek.com

If you have a collision with that push bar, expect it to mash everything up front and total the vehicle (a.k.a. damage multiplier) so that should not be considered a value added part.

if you post pictures of the interior and engine bay people might be able to give you some more information on how valuable the vehicle is.

Nice truck to begin with. Probably got hit in the rear because the rear bumper looks really good. The bumpers rust big time.

Timing belt and water pump service is about $1300. Next time it’s more because you need to replace the cam seals and idlers. That adds about $400. Dealer.

Ten years ago I bought an 01, black, identical minus the brush guard. Mine has a factory sunroof that adds (or did) $750. It had 125k miles.

All the records from day one, I paid $7500.

I have a Lexus and a newish Tundra, and the 4runner gets the garage. Shows you where my priorities are. 💪

How much is he asking? Did you look what is the low end price on KBB? Last year of the 3rd Gen. body and it's a Sport edition, i say buy it as long no rust hiding underneath.

Yeah. CLK made me remember... really cheap insurance when you do the belt is to replace the radiator. Old radiators corrode internally and mixing coolant and transmission fluid, which both use the radiator causes the dreaded mix of coolant and antifreeze, called the milkshake.

Last fall I had a transmission fluid leak which turned out to be old corroded oil lines so we replaced the lines, new radiator and a separate transmission oil cooler, in addition to new hoses and thermostat.

Having done all that which was not really expensive I sleep a lot better now.

Just remembered since @Weedhopper mentioned radiator, if you end up buying replace all the ball joints regardless of the physical condition. LBJ on 3rd.Gen are notorious for just popping out you can Google it if you like.

At 142k none of this stuff is an emergency so don’t let that scare you off.

Get your 10mm socket and pull the timing belt inspection cover. I bet the belt still looks new, they last. Radiator took me a total of 45 minutes in my garage and I am a knucklehead mechanic. Hydraulic hoses and the trans cooling unit were done later at a shop since I know my limits.

If you like the truck just buy it and fix the little stuff. There aren't many nice examples left for sale every day.

Thank you everyone for all the info - I will attach some photos of the interior and under the body as well tomorrow.

I can pick up the truck for around $5K - does that seem like a good deal?

^^^ Buy it now if you don't I will.
;)

If you buy it we can talk you through the items you need to complete.

$5k is a steal....
Crawl underneath and see how dry it is (oil leaks, etc). Also look at the rubber, upper/lower control arm bushings, boots; upper and lower ball joints, cv joints, rack and pinion. Even checking the bushings on the sway bar links can give you an idea if it's been well maintained..
I paid $5500 for our's only because I was the first caller after 6 months of being #2. If it is as good as advertised, don't let it get away.

well those wheels are terrible. Why spend money on crappy wheels to lower the value of the vehicle you own?

$5k is max I'd pay. Does it have a rear locker? Being a 2002, probably not. Yes, check for rust INSIDE the frame and around the frame where the muffler is/where the lower control arm mounts.

go read everything at T4R.org

If you are not quite ready for a radiator swap, you can also add a transmission cooler in front of the condenser, and therefore ensure that the radiator only handles coolant and that no transmission fluid passes through it. Cheap insurance and improved cooling for both engine and trans!

X2. A friend got the ‘milkshake’ and I swapped my radiator. Took 45 minutes.

When we replaced the transmission lines last fall I had a cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I sleep so much better now ....

Did you buy it?

How much did he sold it for? Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom