2001 LX470 - Transmission Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A known issue, but I wanted to post my experience in case someone is in a similar situation.

My truck is 2001 LX470, currently at 120k miles. I bought it used at 112k miles; all previous service was completed by the previous owner at the local Lexus dealer. It is in great condition, and besides for the ignition tumbler snapping earlier this year, it has been great.

Prior to the transmission failing, I experienced zero signs of potential failure. No slipping, odd friction noises, grinding, hard shifting...nothing. Last week as I drove home on the freeway, I exited the off ramp nearest my home. As I came to a stop, I noticed the truck start to shake and vibrate violently. I initially thought it was a braking issue, because once I applied gas, the truck operated and sounded normal. I then approached a second set of stop signs, same thing happened with shaking, except now I felt like the truck wanted to stall. I gunned it through the stop sign and made it home without stopping again. I stopped (in drive) in front of my house, it stalled, at that was all she wrote. The trucked started normally, but once I put it in drive or reverse...it stalled immediately.

I called around town and found a local independent shop who was confident they could help. I basically brought it in asking for a quote for a transmission replacement. They charged me $500 to confirm my transmission was ruined, then wanted an additional $8100 to install a Toyota factory remanned transmission. That figure sounded high, so I call the local Lexus dealer and they quoted me $6000 for the same transmission install. Done deal, called AAA and my LX is currently getting the remanned transmission installed.

Pretty frustrating to have the transmission grenade at only 120k. My neighbor at work has a '99 LC, with 385k miles on the clock...original trans. However, it is obvious from reading all of the threads on MUD that the 2000 and 2001 LX and LC's have a troubled transmission.

Once I get the report back from Lexus, I'll post the actual cause of the transmission failure. The first shop I took it to didn't provide any specific details besides "large metal chunks and shavings in the pan"

However, it is obvious from reading all of the threads on MUD that the 2000 and 2001 LX and LC's have a troubled transmission

I am not convinced that is an accurate statement at all. I have had over 400K miles on a 2000 and 2001 combined with zero issues and never change good tranny fluid. And many others have zero issues with those years. I may be wrong but that's what I think and have experienced.

I am not convinced that is an accurate statement at all. I have had over 400K miles on a 2000 and 2001 combined with zero issues and never change good tranny fluid. And many others have zero issues with those years. I may be wrong but that's what I think and have experienced.

Ya, until your transmission blows, you probably haven't researched the issue as well as I have in the past week or so. Transmission failures of the 2000 and 2001 LC's and LX's happens. It's not "common" as you are a perfect example at 400k, but threads on MUD indicate blown transmissions of those two year vehicles as early as 60k miles. Even talking to the head of the Lexus service department the other day...it is a known issue with those two years of manufacturing. You clearly have a good transmission...I didn't. The original owner of my vehicle was a lawyer's wife in the Bay area. It's life consisted of sitting in traffic on the 101 and doing Whole Foods runs.

That sucks. 2000 is far more common than '01 but they do happen now and then.

Any chance it was something other than the transmission failing or is that a classic example of failure? It would seem a lot more likely that the flex plate died or something along those lines, though that usually doesn't cause the engine to stall from what I've read. There are a lot of parts in a transmission that are replaceable - seems odd to call it junk and buy a reman right away. What fails in the trans to cause it to stall the engine?

Wow. That is terrible. I find it so hard to believe the tranny gave up so early. I have a 2000 w/ 175k, so far so good...*finger cross*

I would consider RPM Garage in Monrovia for the repair, ask for Steve, he is cruiser head. He owns a 62,80, 100 series. 100% his labor will be cheaper than your Lexus dealer. If anything, I feel his techs and his personal knowledge is on par if not exceed your Lexus dealer.

I know it is pretty far from you, but who knows if the labor rate will offset the cost of towing there.

Thanks for the responses. Once I get the full report for Lexus, I'll update the thread with the actual cause of failure.

RPM Garage is great. I plan on taking my truck down there for some suspension work down the road...just need to get it back on the road.

Exactly as thing happened to me two days ago, 01 lx470 189xxx miles, I was on the highway traveling 65-70. No warning, no prior issue. Tranny pan is filled with metal shaving.
received_2529425567114169.jpeg

I had the Lexus dealer do the transmission replacement. They never gave me a reason for the failure.

Those with 2001 MY 100's that suffered transmission failure, what was the build date on your 100?

00 LX 170k no issues yet.

Those with 2001 MY 100's that suffered transmission failure, what was the build date on your 100?

Original order date was 9/2000, original "issue" date was 11/2000. Can't seem to find build date on Drivers.Lexus.

The truck drives/sounds/performs just the same as it did before for failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom