2000UZJ's big HID thread - what, where and how (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How do I get those for my lx high beams? Can you provide a plug and play solution ?

That is the low beam, and it's a 10+ hour job for both sides. There is no plug and play for this type of thing. You are essentially redesigning the headlights internally, and by hand at that.

That is the low beam, and it's a 10+ hour job for both sides. There is no plug and play for this type of thing. You are essentially redesigning the headlights internally, and by hand at that.

Thanks for the clarification. Wishful thinking on my part I guess...

I'm coming to ATL the beginning of June. Would you mod my lights. How much?

BBQ BOY said:
I'm coming to ATL the beginning of June. Would you mod my lights. How much?

PM me. Give me a day at the office and you will be set

So I have just spent hours reading this thread and am as confused as ever.... LOL. Is there a place where I can send my headlights that will modify them with the projectors etc so that it is basically plug and play? My headlights suck so bad. Even my 91 has MUCH better headlights.

I spend lots of time on dark highways in the west. The kind with no reflectors along the sides.

So I have just spent hours reading this thread and am as confused as ever.... LOL. Is there a place where I can send my headlights that will modify them with the projectors etc so that it is basically plug and play? My headlights suck so bad. Even my 91 has MUCH better headlights.

I spend lots of time on dark highways in the west. The kind with no reflectors along the sides.

haha yes you can, PM 2000UZJ (nick). He works for a company that specializes in this.

I know this is the 100 forum but I just placed an order for a Depo projector retrofit for my 80. Nick sure knows his lights and he's personable to boot.

Looking forward to getting my giant Depo box.

I've had the Morimotos in my '99 for a couple of months now, and I'm still kicking my own arse for not doing this years ago. They are superb! Mud rocks!

Bringing this one waaaay back rather than contributing to the dozen's of other HID/xenon upgrade threads.

I have a 2007 LX470, and am looking to convert my H1 projector low beams to an HID setup. I do not want to do a projector swap at this time and I'm not looking to tackle my high beams or fog lights. Maybe later.

I'm considering three options:

XenonDepot H1 Xtreme Digital HID w/ phillips 4300k bulbs
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/H1-Xtreme-Digital-HID-Conversion-Kits-p/xt-h1.htm

TRS AMP: OEM HID System w/ XB35 4300k bulbs
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/denso-morimoto-amp-elite-hid-system.html#.UyM1GFFdWGl

TRS Morimoto Elite HID System w/ XB35 4300k bulbs
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-h1.html#.UyM4qVFdWGk

The XenonDepot kit stands out slightly because it's a Canadian-based company. Advantages there for shipping and any future return/exchange/support.

The two TRS systems appear to differ only by the ballasts they provide. The Morimoto system uses... Morimoto ballasts and the OEM system uses Denso ballasts.

Can anyone speak to advantages/disadvantages from any of these three systems?

My opinion is they all have the most important issue.
Headlight design is not for HID, so you'll throw a lot of lumens but not really in a efficient way.
the pattern may not be long enough to managed all these lumens you'll have high contrast between lighted area and less lighted area.
This high contrast make the less lighted area looking dark and it will be harder to drive fast at night.
My 2 cents
I'd love to be wrong, let me know if I am

I have the KBcarstuff Hid kit in my LX. The more expensive kit came with relays etc. but weren't needed as it's a low draw kit. Very easy install. Love the light output and they have great service, I recommend them highly.

image-458305623.jpg

My opinion is they all have the most important issue.
Headlight design is not for HID, so you'll throw a lot of lumens but not really in a efficient way.
the pattern may not be long enough to managed all these lumens you'll have high contrast between lighted area and less lighted area.
This high contrast make the less lighted area looking dark and it will be harder to drive fast at night.
My 2 cents
I'd love to be wrong, let me know if I am
From what I've read and seen in this thread and others, the LX projectors do a much better job of controlling HID light than the LC reflectors.

Bringing this one waaaay back rather than contributing to the dozen's of other HID/xenon upgrade threads.

I have a 2007 LX470, and am looking to convert my H1 projector low beams to an HID setup. I do not want to do a projector swap at this time and I'm not looking to tackle my high beams or fog lights. Maybe later.

I'm considering three options:

XenonDepot H1 Xtreme Digital HID w/ phillips 4300k bulbs
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/H1-Xtreme-Digital-HID-Conversion-Kits-p/xt-h1.htm

TRS AMP: OEM HID System w/ XB35 4300k bulbs
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/denso-morimoto-amp-elite-hid-system.html#.UyM1GFFdWGl

TRS Morimoto Elite HID System w/ XB35 4300k bulbs
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-h1.html#.UyM4qVFdWGk

The XenonDepot kit stands out slightly because it's a Canadian-based company. Advantages there for shipping and any future return/exchange/support.

The two TRS systems appear to differ only by the ballasts they provide. The Morimoto system uses... Morimoto ballasts and the OEM system uses Denso ballasts.

Can anyone speak to advantages/disadvantages from any of these three systems?
I did some more reading. The TRS Denso-based systems turn on much faster (and are probably of higher quality) but are not waterproof. TRS obviously pushes their ballasts int he Morimoto elite system as the best thing ever.

From what I've read and seen in this thread and others, the LX projectors do a much better job of controlling HID light than the LC reflectors.

Correct. Only way I would do HID on the LC is with a complete projector retrofit. The LX projectors are very good and I was super disappointed when I added the LC to the stable beside it. Having Nick do a retrofit on my LC was some of the best $ I've spent.

Sent from my iPad

I had the xenon depot kit on my gx. Just make sure you get oem Philips 4300k bulbs and not the aftermarket ones. I had a ballast fail and xenon depot guy stepped up with a replacement no issues.

If I had stock projectors I'd just call it good with a ballast and bulb.

Last edited:
Has anyone found the Denso lights again for a '99 Land Cruiser? I really like the look of the all-in-one light w/o having to modify the front-end.

Has anyone completed any other types of mods w/ HID projectors?

I'm itching to complete this mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom