2000 with a starting problem (I promise I've searched a bunch) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

5 days before headed to Moab with the 100 series pulling a popup and my family of 6.... and I'm trying to chase down an intermittent start issue. I've searched the forum quite a bit and have trouble shot several items with no sustained success. Truck has 208K on the clock and I replaced the starter contacts about 75K miles ago.

Symptoms started when it got cold a couple months ago. From a cold start, at times, I would need to hold the keep to crank for several seconds before the engine would fire. This didn't happen all the time but it slowly because more frequent. About 2 weeks ago it was at the pretty regular stage so I have done the following:

1. Replaced fuel filter (during 1 of the extended cranks I hit the accelerator and it fired right up so my mind went to fuel) (1 week ago)
  2. Warrantied 24D battery from Costco (also have fully charged) (yesterday)
  3. Replaced both positive and negative battery terminals with marine style (today)
  4. Replaced starter contacts and plunger (2 days ago)
  5. Cleaned ground connections in engine bay
  6. Replaced EFI fuse, cleaned contacts for EFI fuse and EFI relay
I assume since it kicks over after several seconds of holding the key to crank that it's not the EFI or starter relay but maybe that is an improper assumption. Potentially failing fuel pump?

Any additional thoughts you may have in troubleshooting may help keep my family spring break plans on the table :)

Cheers

Hi all

5 days before headed to Moab with the 100 series pulling a popup and my family of 6.... and I'm trying to chase down an intermittent start issue. I've searched the forum quite a bit and have trouble shot several items with no sustained success. Truck has 208K on the clock and I replaced the starter contacts about 75K miles ago.

Symptoms started when it got cold a couple months ago. From a cold start, at times, I would need to hold the keep to crank for several seconds before the engine would fire. This didn't happen all the time but it slowly because more frequent. About 2 weeks ago it was at the pretty regular stage so I have done the following:

1. Replaced fuel filter (during 1 of the extended cranks I hit the accelerator and it fired right up so my mind went to fuel) (1 week ago)
  2. Warrantied 24D battery from Costco (also have fully charged) (yesterday)
  3. Replaced both positive and negative battery terminals with marine style (today)
  4. Replaced starter contacts and plunger (2 days ago)
  5. Cleaned ground connections in engine bay
  6. Replaced EFI fuse, cleaned contacts for EFI fuse and EFI relay
I assume since it kicks over after several seconds of holding the key to crank that it's not the EFI or starter relay but maybe that is an improper assumption. Potentially failing fuel pump?

Any additional thoughts you may have in troubleshooting may help keep my family spring break plans on the table :)

Cheers
Just to clarify, while holding the key to start, the engine is not attempting to turnover. Nothing abnormal with lights on the dash but after a few seconds of holding the key to start it suddenly turns over and cranks on immediately. Strange stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom