2000 LX470 Alternator R&R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ktmracer01

SILVER Star
Threads
Just to provide some insight to other guys who may end up needing to do an Alternator R&R, here's the way I did mine. There are a few discussions about the best way to do it, I pulled mine from the 'TOP' instead of out the bottom like other guys have done.

This was done on a 2000 LX 470 with a 100amp alternator. Replaced the Toyota alternator with a Denso 210-0565

Tools used:

10mm socket
12mm socket
14mm socket
10mm wrench
pliers for hose clamps
panel popping tool (for splash guard in wheel well)
22mm socket (for wheel)

Pretty straight forward...

1. Disconnect battery
2. Remove engine cover ( 4 - 10mm nuts & bolts)
3. Remove air intake ( 2- 10 mm bolts, 2 - 10mm hose clamps, 4 - vacuum lines, MAF sensor)
3. Drain radiator (plastic pug on bottom of radiator)
4. Remove lower radiator hose (2 - clamps)
5. Remove coolant reservoir (2- 12mm bolds)
6. Remove plastic radiator hose clamp (on the radiator shroud)
7. Remove serpentine belt ( 1 - 14mm socket on tensioner to remove) note: belt routing diagram on upper passenger corner of hood -or- draw it out before removing it
8. Jack up front of of truck and put on jack stands to remove passenger tire/wheel
9. Remove front splash guard on passenger side to get access to alternator and Power steering pump
10. Remove front skid plate (8 - 12mm bolts)...I think?
11. Remove wire loom bracket from alternator ( 1- 12mm bolt)
12. Remove battery cable from alternator (1 - 10 mm nut) note: to remove the plastic cover, start from the cable side of the cover and spread the plastic cap apart to remove it

I did not try and disconnect the plug from the alternator until I got it unbolted because my big hands couldn't get in or around to the back of the alternator to disconnect it easily while it was installed

13. Remove alternator mounting bolt and nut ( 2- 14mm)
14. Remove power steering pump mounting bolts ( 3-14mm) note: you will not have clearance between the power steering pump and alternator housing if you don't move it out of the way
15. Pulled alternator forward, and disconnected plug...pulled the alternator out the top of the engine bay.

The alternator I pulled and the alternator I purchased, both had a stud (torx) on them that are not used, so I removed it from the one I bought. I think it made it a little easier to install.

15. Follow the steps in reverse order to install and re-assemble.

IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_3996.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

Here are a few more photos

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

I've pulled my from both directions (top and bottom) and found it to be equally difficult, just for different reasons.

The only advice I'd offer is this:

Be gentle with the electrical connector on the back of the Alt (they become brittle over time)

DO NOT, repeat....DO NOT.....break the bottom bolt securing the Alt. Take your time if it seems frozen in place.

Last edited:
I've pulled my from both directions (top and bottom) and found it to equally difficult, just for different reasons.

The only advice I'd offer is this:

Be gentle with the electrical connector on the back of the Alt (they become brittle over time)

DO NOT, repeat....DO NOT.....break the bottom bolt securing the Alt. Take your time if it seems frozen in place.
Very good point! I should have noted, I only elected to pull the alternator while it was still connected after I removed the weather boot on it and realized how good of condition it was in.

I expect that the Land Cruiser guys might have easier access to the back of the alternator from the rear splash guard since they don't have any of the the AHC brackets preventing access from the back of the shock tower.

I pulled mine without pulling any coolant hoses, but it would have made it easier, just for someone else's future reference. It is possible.

I actually couldn't get mine out of the bottom (1999 LX) but I was able to get it out of the top.

Great writeup!.....all these posts make me realize I REALLY need to clean my engine bay

I pulled mine without pulling any coolant hoses, but it would have made it easier, just for someone else's future reference. It is possible.

I actually couldn't get mine out of the bottom (1999 LX) but I was able to get it out of the top.

Great writeup!.....all these posts make me realize I REALLY need to clean my engine bay
Thanks! Just trying to help others through my experience.

I just pulled the radiator hose to avoid any frustration later on...things tend to break and/or bloody knuckles tend to happen when I get frustrated. When things get difficult, they always seem to compound.

Thanks! Just trying to help others through my experience.

I just pulled the radiator hose to avoid any frustration later on...things tend to break and/or bloody knuckles tend to happen when I get frustrated. When things get difficult, they always seem to compound.

Oh I get it for sure, I'm just lazy.

Bumping an old thread- how has this alternator worked for you?
Sorry for a reply over a year later. It has been working great. No issues at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom