2000 100 series price check and what to look for (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ginericLC

Wagon Wheeler!
Threads
I'm not a 100 series guy but a teacher I work with is looking at a 2000 100 series. It has a hitch and the DVD. Pretty much loaded. They want $23,500 for it and it has 72k on it. It seems reasonable for our area. Any concerns he should be looking at? I know 80 series pretty well. He drives a 96 Suburban and all he keeps talking about is how great the 100 is. I was like Duhhh! He's going to try to do the deal by noon so the quicker the response the better. Thanks much! I won't ever be trading my 80 keys for a 100, but I definitely see a 100 as future addition to our family.

You'll get the same response that question usually gets - it really depends upon your market and where you live.

For here that's not a horrible price, but it would have to be in really great shape - 9/10 exterior and interior, have been well maintained and all service records showing so...

2000 would not have had a OEM DVD or Nav. Price seems a bit high IMOP, that about(25K for mine) what I paid 2 years ago for my 2000 with the same miles

It is a one owner lady driven Cruiser. It is flawless, I bet it has never been down a gravel road. Good to know about the DVD not being available in 00 from the factory. That is the sort of thing I didn't know. Idaho has typically outrageous Cruiser prices at least that has been my experience with 40s, 60s, and 80s.

We picked up our 100 series from a Toyota dealer with 66k miles on it $19.9k It had a few scratches and probably will need tires before it hits 80k....

Although you always whine how LC prices are higher in Idaho :grinpimp:

If he could knock another 1.5-2k off the price, he'd probably be looking at a decent deal - is he trading the 'burb in? If so, there might be a hit on that

bk

That's a decent price. Depends on condition, where it spent its life. I would get a carfax on it first. I bought a 99 with 58K miles, spent its life in Arizonia so it was rust free. I bought it for $22K, then I had the timing belt water pump, and all other belts and hoses, etc, etc, and all fluids changed along with a new set of AT's. So after that I have a "new" LC. If its a good one tell him to go for it. I've seen 2 year old used LC's from Michigan that where rusting and in bad shape, so where the LC comes from is very important and can make several thousand difference in value.

Be sure to check for exhaust manifold leaks upon cold start-up. They groan and then usually get quiet after a minute or so. Spendy repair. Check CV joint/boots as well.

Figure in a big charge at the 90k mark. Keep that in mind on these pre 90k vehicles.

It is an Idaho rig. He knows the previous owners but they traded it in. He is trading the Suburban in so that saves him some on sales tax. We only pay tax on the difference. Alabama and 25k sounds reasonable but when you add in getting it here, the difference in sales tax, and the hassle all of a sudden it doesn't make sense. I had already thought of the CVs. Good to know about the exhaust leak problem. What happens at 90K? Is that timing belts or something? Thanks for all the help, this helps a lot.

90K is major service that has a pretty substantial price tag if done at the dealer.

Timing belt and water pump are two of the bigger items that are typically done at that time.

Anyone have the work done at a dealer and have an estimate? This is not a DIYer guy. I don't want to do it for him. I'm chicken to work on other folks engines. I don't want to be responsible if something were to go wrong.

I have a feeling this 90k service is going to scare him off. What can I say? Some people don't understand the long term value of Cruiser.

Wow! He actually called the Toyota dealer. They quoted him $478 to do the timing belt. I told him that you suggested doing a water pump at the same time. He's really excited. He's trying to use this service to get the seller down another $1000-1500. I really appreciate all of your help. I printed Slee's guide for him and showed him the other posts in the FAQ.

I looked at the local 100 series cruisers here in SLC and the price seems reasonable to me. Mileage puts a big discount on any vehicle, but low 70s isn't too bad. It's a cruiser, after all.

VIN number tags on each body panel to mark sure there is no body work. About 10 tags total. If they are peeled off, supposedly the vin is etched in the metal underneath. If there is body work, work them some more on the price.

uzj100

uzj100 said:
VIN number tags on each body panel to mark sure there is no body work. About 10 tags total. If they are peeled off, supposedly the vin is etched in the metal underneath. If there is body work, work them some more on the price.

uzj100

I don't think they're etched into the metal.

He has Slee's buying guide. I have a feeling he is going to be driving this rig permanently by the weekend. He told me to tell you all thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom