200 Series Remote Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So those of you with a 2021, how does the remote start work. I’ve asked dealers and I seem to know more about the cruiser than they do so no help.

Is it like my old tundra where you press a button three times and it starts, but when you enter the vehicle it shuts off? My tundra didn’t have push button start or the fancy door locks so I wasn’t sure if the cruiser would be different.

not a standard feature, must be added. Once added, it is a 3 push LOCK button, with a long push on the third press until car beeps again. Then it will behave as you describe - door opens, shuts off.

Key tag from my '16 with factory remote start.
EA1BB664-D29D-49B5-AC19-04AA38ED4F0B.jpeg
EF14620C-945B-4AFF-8811-CE484E31D16E.jpeg

Crazy it’s not a factory installed option on all of them. Last year I bought my first non Toyota vehicle (Ford Raptor). It starts and stays running when you open the door, just won’t drive unless it senses the key and you push the start button. Also auto turns on the heater and heated seats if it’s cold. I’ve liked it a lot compared to the way My tundra worked. But having said that, I’m looking at trading it in on a cruiser. So...

Crazy it’s not a factory installed option on all of them. Last year I bought my first non Toyota vehicle (Ford Raptor). It starts and stays running when you open the door, just won’t drive unless it senses the key and you push the start button. Also auto turns on the heater and heated seats if it’s cold. I’ve liked it a lot compared to the way My tundra worked. But having said that, I’m looking at trading it in on a cruiser. So...
No surprise Toyota tech leaves a lot to be desired.

Loved my Viper remote start on my 4Runner, much better than stock range. Looking at Viper for my 2021, looks like I can get a fob with remote start and keyless entry. Not sure if I'll need to also carry the stock keyfob? The stock keyfob is huge enough, I'd rather not add to that. Maybe I'll just keep life simple, but give up getting into a warm vehicle on sub-zero days for the next decade+.

Idling in cold temperatures isn’t good for your engine/exhaust long term anyway.

Seat heaters, steering wheel heater, and ceramic heating element are sufficient to get in cold trucks.

I went with a compustar option that uses the factory remote with 3x lock to start. It has an add on LTE module that lets me control the vehicle via cell phone. It also gives realtime information regarding the car, such as battery voltage, temperature, and status of the vehicle. I like this option the best because it uses a T harness so there is minimal factory wire splicing. It was $610 installed at a local shop.

Idling in cold temperatures isn’t good for your engine/exhaust long term anyway.

Seat heaters, steering wheel heater, and ceramic heating element are sufficient to get in cold trucks.
My '03 4Runner has remote start, and I use it almost every time I drive it, even in the summer. 250,000 miles, and the original exhaust is still in excellent shape.
My '03 LC doesn't have remote start, we start it and take off. 250,000 miles, and the entire exhaust has rotted out and been replaced, even the manifolds.
I hate driving and not getting the engine and exhaust up to temp, because that does more damage than cold idling ever could.
Perhaps as an old automotive engineer and enthusiast, my environmental priorities are not the same as those of journalists who insist idling is bad for your vehicle.

@BrainDoc so you traded a white for Gray a year later? Cool. I'm looking at a magnetic gray HE too.

So i read somewhere that you can remote start with a Toyota App even if you don't have the factory remote start? My wife's volvo is that way, but the app works maybe 50% of the time. I live in WY, use the remote start almost every time I drive it during the winter.

My '03 4Runner has remote start, and I use it almost every time I drive it, even in the summer. 250,000 miles, and the original exhaust is still in excellent shape.
My '03 LC doesn't have remote start, we start it and take off. 250,000 miles, and the entire exhaust has rotted out and been replaced, even the manifolds.
I hate driving and not getting the engine and exhaust up to temp, because that does more damage than cold idling ever could.
Perhaps as an old automotive engineer and enthusiast, my environmental priorities are not the same as those of journalists who insist idling is bad for your vehicle.
Fair point(s).

Out of sincere curiosity, what does the old AE in you think from a technical standpoint?

Fair point(s).

Out of sincere curiosity, what does the old AE in you think from a technical standpoint?
Any time an engine is running, it is wearing. Idling with no load causes the least wear, but still wear, so idling without driving causes more wear and fuel use than jumping in and driving. That is the logic of journalists, ignoring the increased wear caused by putting a load on an engine that is not at stable temperature throughout.

A cold engine is still expanding, warping, straightening. Tolerances and clearances are not as designed, sliding/rotating parts are not yet in optimum shape and position relative to mating parts. Remaining at idle and unloaded when cold greatly reduces wear.

@BrainDoc so you traded a white for Gray a year later? Cool. I'm looking at a magnetic gray HE too.

So i read somewhere that you can remote start with a Toyota App even if you don't have the factory remote start? My wife's volvo is that way, but the app works maybe 50% of the time. I live in WY, use the remote start almost every time I drive it during the winter.
The white one was totaled in a crash on the 2nd. Have a gray one on order arriving in a couple weeks.

I went with a compustar option that uses the factory remote with 3x lock to start. It has an add on LTE module that lets me control the vehicle via cell phone. It also gives realtime information regarding the car, such as battery voltage, temperature, and status of the vehicle. I like this option the best because it uses a T harness so there is minimal factory wire splicing. It was $610 installed at a local shop.
Thanks for sharing. Does this option also shut off when you open the door?

Thanks for sharing. Does this option also shut off when you open the door?
Yes it still shuts off. Interesting you can still open the rear hatch to load things, and it continues to run. I got used to it pretty quick and it does not bother me.

Interesting, good to know that you can open the rear hatch to load luggage/cargo without it shutting off.

Apparently my 2013 has remote start and I had no idea. Just tested for fun and it started haha.

Interesting update. I had drone mobile installed on my 2021 HE and was told they were going to have to research how to tie into the trunk release because it is different than the 2020 HE I had before. They will figure it out and then wire it up soon. They also did not need to add a Mercury hood switch like last time. It turns out that there is an integrated one from the factory in the actual hood latch now. I started looking into it more and the ODB port is in a different location on the 2021 compared to 2020. It’s tucked up on the far left hand side of drivers area. Where on a 2020 it was towards the right. Other differences it almost feels like the stock head unit runs a bit faster, but it is purely subjective and I cannot compare it with my totaled 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom