200 Series Lift using Tundra front IFS and Icon shocks (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm hoping with all the trucks going to Breckenridge this year, we can find a nice little area to set up an impromptu track of sorts so anyone willing can take turns trading vehicles, and we can get a feel for handling with different brakes/suspension/tires...etc.

We used to have a rule with dirtbikes, never let someone ride that doesn't have a bike of their own. At least that way you know the other person will respect your machine, and hopefully not loop out or fry the clutch. Since everyone there will be in a 200, mutual respect and courtesy should be prevalent.

I'm hoping with all the trucks going to Breckenridge this year, we can find a nice little area to set up an impromptu track of sorts so anyone willing can take turns trading vehicles, and we can get a feel for handling with different brakes/suspension/tires...etc.

We used to have a rule with dirtbikes, never let someone ride that doesn't have a bike of their own. At least that way you know the other person will respect your machine, and hopefully not loop out or fry the clutch. Since everyone there will be in a 200, mutual respect and courtesy should be prevalent.

That would actually be really interesting... especially with some of the more heavily modded suspension setups, etc. Not sure everyone would feel comfortable with that, but surely some would.

Haha love it. Wish I could make Breck his year, but I won't be able to, family trip planned east to the Berkshires. Next year for sure I'll join and bring the fam. I'm doing Cruise Moab this year and can't swing both.

But I'm in SD, so anyone local wanting to drive my rig is more than welcome (I'm also looking at you 80s and 100s guys purusing this forum curious about how the other half lives! :p

Hoping to get together soon with a couple local 200 owners and we can do this and report back.

Zac, you will be in my neighborhood.
Yeah!?! Cool, my folks have a house in Pittsfield, MA. I'll hit you up prior to the trip, unfortunately I won't have the truck with me, would still love to put a face to name of the guy responsible for me going the Tundra route!

What other A/Ts, M/Ts
or other tires have you tried with the 200 for comparison? The RGs seem to be very well liked by everyone.

I can't say enough about how quiet the ridge grapplers are. I never heard the wind going through the towing mirrors until now. They are smooth as glass too.
I can tell the wheels/ tires are heavier.
Glad i have great brakes to keep these things from rolling away.

In theory the stock upper arms will work, it all depends on wheel choice and tire size.
when I had my tundra I ran 305/65 falken tires on stock wheels with no rub on stock upper control arms.
I had to add spacers to clear the SPC arms. 50mm offset wheels probably would have cleared, or a 10mm spacer. The 35mm was more than I enjoyed running.
check the Tundra forums to see what hits and what clears.

couple things to remember about the cruisers:
any more than 40mm neg offset on the wheels and you will be looking at tire rub on inner fenders, KDSS, and body mount. (smaller the number=more tires stick out)
stock wheels are 60mm, rock warriors are 50mm, Icon made some that are 25mm that seem to work well.

with the extra width of the suspension, you need to keep the wheel/tire combo thin or it will stick out of the fender well.

TezAZ,

Are you using a Tundra shock or a LC shock?

Icon tundra front shocks, and land cruiser rear.

Thanks

Been playing around with different set ups lately. I had to send the Icons back to get leaks at the reservoir hose fitting fixed.
while they were off, I ran the stock shocks/springs with Tundra 2.5" spacers. it was a hoot. in a don't turn the wheel too fast kinda' way.
it drove fine, just felt like a marshmallow riding on top of a canoe. The ride was super plush on the road.
when the Icons came back, I installed them with a 25mm spacer. The springs were dialed way back (little lift, collar high on shock body).
So, with the 25mm spacer and less spring compression I was at 3 7/8" lift in the front.
I had some issues with my CV joints due to pushing the wheels too far forward, so I dialed that back and haven't had any problems since.
Public service note! SPC recommends not to exceed 3/4" forward adjustment when using their upper arms to relocate the wheel for clearance.

to match the almost 4" up front, I added 30mm spacers on top of the 2721 springs in the back. They are sitting at 3 3/4" lift.

the truck is the smoothest it has ever been. wallows a little too much and I can't get any rake into it with the current selection of spacers.
I'm working on getting 20mm spacers for the front and using a little more spring compression to reduce the wallow, and hopefully get a little rake.

so close to the "perfect" set up, for me, for now.....until the teenage driver fairy runs into the back of the truck and I can get the RLC welding rear bumper! then to start again with 2723s or 24s.

the sway bar links wind up at odd angles. they work fine, but will probably tear up the bushings faster than stock Tundra or cruiser.
I swapped out the passenger side link with a Tundra link, due to the bend that the Tundra part comes with.

Okay so I am trying to piece together this lift and I am still looking for parts as this has to be completed on a lower budget due to monies going to other unexpected surprises... In theory I can use the Tundra upper control arms correct? I am using Tundra rims as well. I found a few things on eBay but what I think is going to hit the wallet harder is the front coil overs. I can't seem to find any used tundra icon coil overs either. If I am not able to find all the parts...I may just go with the ARB lift with upper control arms for simplicity.

What parts have you accumulated so far?
check out Race-desert.com classifieds. look for people installing long travel suspensions on Tundras. they may be dumping the OEM equipment or mid level shocks for cheap.

I have 4 tundra rims and looking for a spare wheel. I have a buddy that works at a dealership and he will be supplying me with the lower control arms for cheap. I found cv axles on eBay. I also was looking at A1 auto parts as well as other aftermarket parts. How will those hold up compared to the Toyota stuff? I am pretty sure the Toyota stuff is superior.

I have 4 tundra rims and looking for a spare wheel. I have a buddy that works at a dealership and he will be supplying me with the lower control arms for cheap. I found cv axles on eBay. I also was looking at A1 auto parts as well as other aftermarket parts. How will those hold up compared to the Toyota stuff? I am pretty sure the Toyota stuff is superior.

I'm also accumulating parts for a Tundra swap. I still need shafts/CVs, and maybe a cleaner set of lower arms. But, as far as aftermarket parts are concerned, I'd stick with OEM unless you're upgrading i.e. Total Chaos, ICON, SPC, etc. control arms, or RCV shafts or something like that. I'd steer clear of "OEM replacement" style aftermarket parts. Just my $0.02.

Did your eBay CVs come from a dismantler/wrecking yard?

Has rcv released ifs shafts for our trucks now?
I'm also accumulating parts for a Tundra swap. I still need shafts/CVs, and maybe a cleaner set of lower arms. But, as far as aftermarket parts are concerned, I'd stick with OEM unless you're upgrading i.e. Total Chaos, ICON, SPC, etc. control arms, or RCV shafts or something like that. I'd steer clear of "OEM replacement" style aftermarket parts. Just my $0.02.

Did your eBay CVs come from a dismantler/wrecking yard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom