For Sale 200 Series in Denver - Warning! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This weekend I went down to check out this 2009 200 Series at a local dealership with 110k for $37.5k. I was curious to see it because in the picture they have posted it looks pretty dirty. I called the sales guy who told me that it was a fresh trade from Tuesday, so they haven't had a chance to clean it up. That may have been the understatement of the century!

The exterior of the truck was dirty and generally rough with a decent size dent in the tailgate and mud/dust covering the whole thing. The underbody has scratches as well, and definitely just generally appears to have to been treated VERY poorly. The shock however came when I opened the passenger door. It was immediately apparent the prior owners smoked in the truck A LOT, and there were several empty cartons of cigarettes that literally fell out of the truck when I opened the door. It looked like a coke or something similar had spilled all over the passenger side of the interior and there was tons of trash everywhere. Spilled drinks on the console, sticky stuff everywhere, almost every knob was missing, holes in various places, the shifter knob had the wood finish scratched off, the subwoofer sounded blown, etc etc.

I was honestly shocked that anyone would show anything in that kind of condition, but I was glad to see what it was REALLY like. I still drove it because the sales guy was busy and said I could take it alone - which I truly think was because he didn't want to sit in it at all. After about 5 minutes of driving I was started to feel nauseous from how bad it smelled and had to drive with the windows down. Generally speaking, it felt like it was seriously beat on. The idle was a little rough and it made a slight ticking, and I couldn't get 4 Low to engage no matter what I did.

My suggestion if you're interested in this 200 is to run far, far away from this one. I walked in there hoping I would fall in love with it and drive it home, but I couldn't get back to my 100 fast enough! I'm sure this one wasn't indicative of most out there, but at this point I am so turned off to the experience I'm going to detail my 100 and enjoy knowing that it's well taken care of and solid.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...mt=[TOYOTA[LC[]][]]&listingId=385713360&Log=0

IMG_3097.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3100.JPG

IMG_3101.JPG

IMG_3102.JPG

IMG_3103.JPG

IMG_3104.JPG

IMG_3105.JPG

IMG_3106.JPG

IMG_3107.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

IMG_3110.JPG

IMG_3112.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

IMG_3114.JPG

Seriously good to know! I saw this 200 on CL as well and was going to take a look.

I think we are both looking for a 200 in Littleton/Denver. I may be inclined to a Sequoia because they are a little cheaper. We will see.

Seriously good to know! I saw this 200 on CL as well and was going to take a look.

I think we are both looking for a 200 in Littleton/Denver. I may be inclined to a Sequoia because they are a little cheaper. We will see.

So you're my competition huh? :D jk I know a few people locally looking for a nice 200, so I wanted to get the word out in case they were looking at this one. I honestly can't imagine they'll be able to clean it up to the point it would hide all of it's flaws, most noticeably the smoke smell, but in case they can I want people to know how it was treated. After driving it, I think I'm putting my 200 hopes on the back burner for a little while and enjoy what I have since I've put about $3k in preventative maintenance and upkeep in it since February!

I'm really enjoying my 100 and I'm a relatively new owner, but I too could see myself upgrading to a 200 down the road. It's still hard to swallow spending $37K on a used truck with over 100K miles on it, but I'll just have to get over that when the time comes. It's hard to believe how poorly some people care for their $75K trucks. And even more unbelievable is that the salesman let you see the truck in that deplorable condition - how does one even go about scratching off the wood finish on the shifter?!!

I may go over there tomorrow and offer them 20k.

You mentioned scratched on the underside. Did it drive ok?

It definitely had a ticking noise at idle which I was surprised by considering my 98 is almost dead silent at idle. It was my first time driving a 200 so it was really hard to gauge if it was "normal" or not. I've driven a lot of 100s and can spot issues in a matter of seconds, but my thought on this 200 was that if how this one drove was normal I'll keep my 100! The gas pedal felt extremely stiff almost like there was a floor mat behind it, and the transmission was pretty slow to downshift to pass. The interior was really quiet which was nice, but I would say only a miniscule amount quieter than the 100. If you do go down and take a look, please share your opinion as well. I can't imagine it will still be filthy, but as of their CL posting yesterday it looks like they haven't touched it.

Wow that's really bad and sad. I paid less than that and my is immaculate comparatively, in every single way!

There is no way anyone would buy it for that amount in that condition...crazy.

I feel bad for that rig.

So I went and test drove it on Friday. Still filthy and had trash in it. The sales guy was nice. I took it for a drive and at highway speeds it handled nice. Getting off the freeway and driving at about 45 there is a wobble somewhere. It felt different than an unbalanced tire. Maybe driveshaft? The POs definitely beat this truck. The underside of the front passanger side bumper was broken and the plastic cowling was bent up to hold it in place.

Here's the kicker...

While driving, I stopped to test the 4-Lo. Wouldn't engage at all. What's worse is that it once I did that we were stuck. It wouldn't go in to any gear even when trying to put it back to normal. I tried slamming it in gear and nothing. When going in to park there was A LOT of grinding. Every time. For about 10 minutes were we out of luck on the side of a service road. Finally for no reason at all, it went back in to gear. I drove it back but it was slightly binding like it was stuck in 4-high.

To be honest I wouldn't even spend $20k on this. If I was a mechanic, maybe.

So I went and test drove it on Friday. Still filthy and had trash in it. The sales guy was nice. I took it for a drive and at highway speeds it handled nice. Getting off the freeway and driving at about 45 there is a wobble somewhere. It felt different than an unbalanced tire. Maybe driveshaft? The POs definitely beat this truck. The underside of the front passanger side bumper was broken and the plastic cowling was bent up to hold it in place.

Here's the kicker...

While driving, I stopped to test the 4-Lo. Wouldn't engage at all. What's worse is that it once I did that we were stuck. It wouldn't go in to any gear even when trying to put it back to normal. I tried slamming it in gear and nothing. When going in to park there was A LOT of grinding. Every time. For about 10 minutes were we out of luck on the side of a service road. Finally for no reason at all, it went back in to gear. I drove it back but it was slightly binding like it was stuck in 4-high.

To be honest I wouldn't even spend $20k on this. If I was a mechanic, maybe.

Yep same experience as me: "The idle was a little rough and it made a slight ticking, and I couldn't get 4 Low to engage no matter what I did."

I'm shocked they haven't made an attempt to clean it up! When I came to the lot, they had it for 6 days which meant it was a "fresh trade", and that's why it wasn't cleaned up. That was 3 weeks ago! I'll bet they're going to send it to auction, wholesale it, or hope someone from out of state or country buys it sight unseen. My truck blue books for a lot less than this one, and I literally would not trade straight across for it. I imagine there's some very expensive repairs lurking under all the garbage and cigarette cartons...

If someone GAVE me that 200, I am not even sure I would drive it. Aesthetics aside, engine and tranny problems in a $75k car would NOT be cheap to fix.

I came across a similar Amazon Green one in Boulder. Looked nice from afar, but was completely trashed on the inside. I passed on it to say the least.

I love the warning light, and the low pressure light in one of the pictures. Sheesh.

They really did clean it up well though. I wonder what it smells like?

Some unfortunate guy is going to buy this... I wonder what their service report shows.

And then there will be a guy posting in this forum, with 2015 next to his name. He will quickly become a regular, I'm sure. :doh:

Some unfortunate guy is going to buy this... I wonder what their service report shows.

I dare someone to call up the dealer and say they are very interested, but they want to see a detailed Carfax report before they can commit. Please post a screen shot of the report once you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom