200 Rear Seat Shaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for posting the thread. My '17 seat 60 side is very loose and I would have spent a bunch of time chasing the rattle. Post back the trouble shoot results with Toyota.

FWIW, my 2011 LX has the same movement. When I look at my 2nd row seat from behind (from the rear hatch), it looks as though plastic from the bottom of the seat "rests" on the floor of the vehicle, so that when there is weight in the seat, that limits its movement. The latch is connected, but with no weight in the seat, it can move up/down and rattle. I wish there was a way to take out the slack so that it didn't rattle at all when un-weighted and driving on rough surfaces.

Hello. I have a 2018 and have the same problem. The 60 side has quite a bit of movement and if I hit a decent sized bump, I can hear a rattle. Otherwise, the seat just jiggles and does not emit noise. Was there ever a resolution to this problem with Toyota? Should I even bother taking it to Toyota? I am rather frustrated because I just purchased in February. Thanks for any guidance that anyone can provide.

Yes, sorry this is overdue for an update, after taking it to two different dealers and then talking to a regional Toyota rep, they said that the seat is latching correctly and while this is annoying there is no fix or enough complaints out there for Toyota to make a change. This is what came back from corporate. Feel free to give them a call. If they get enough calls, maybe they'll do something about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2010 has some play and it was causing a rattle. What I did was place a piece of foam underneath the seat before putting it down, so that the foam is compressed when the seat is locked down and it keeps some tension on the mechanism. Not pretty but it works to keep things quiet.

My 2015 does the same, i it a piece of foam between the two seat to stop that.
I Also asked the Toyota dealer about it, they did not find a solution, they actually went to check a brand new one and it did the same.

My 2010 has some play and it was causing a rattle. What I did was place a piece of foam underneath the seat before putting it down, so that the foam is compressed when the seat is locked down and it keeps some tension on the mechanism. Not pretty but it works to keep things quiet.

That's a pretty nice hack. Did you put the foam in the anchor mechanism? Pic?

I did something similar....folded up hand towel under the “center” section of the 60% seat. Seems like it’s not supported well...stops the shaking.

My 13 shakes a bit on the 60 side. Now, however, its wedged up against the slanted Front Runner tank that lives between the drawers and the seat so all is solid. ;)

That's a pretty nice hack. Did you put the foam in the anchor mechanism? Pic?

The foam goes between the latches so it presses against the bottom of the seat. This is on the 40 side:

IMG_4873.JPG

I have the same problem with 15 LX. I used towels instead of the foam pads -- thanks for the idea -- it stabilized the seat quite a bit. Now, go to the center latch (attached to the 60 seat section). If you wiggle it around it will sound like the rattle we're experiencing. It is held down by one Phillips head screw -- remove it. Insert as much as much velcro into the cracks of the latch cover and replace the screw. You will notice this tightens things up considerably. Good luck!

Last edited:
As often, interesting thread.

Do not have this issue on my 21 so far, currently at 6.6k miles.

Like the foam pad solution, although on a more recent model year or low mileage vehicle a bit of a disappointment as well.

As part of trouble shooting any rattles or shakes I would look at having the wheels balanced. Something persistent could be a rim too much out of roundness, bend from abuse or bad luck otherwise. With your symptoms probably one of the rear wheels. Overseas on a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander, be it with much lower tire sidewall, I once had the alloy rim hammered back in shape and turned down just one or two mm to get them back within reason. The vehicle drove as new after that. Loved that vehicle by the way, the V6 with selectable AWD and build in Japan. Regardless, balancing and potentially checking the roundness of the rim and as required replacing for a new one are considerations I would say.

Last edited:
It’s clearly a bad design. Like the OP I have had all the other models and the 200 60% side is loose. Mine shakes when i hit bumps. No squeaks thank goodness. I was mainly wondering if I was along here and again. Mud pays.

I had the same issue ND was thinking it was items rolling around. Got some felt 3M tape and wrapped the bars on the floor where the clip lands. This solved the problem without the need for foam pads or any additional parts. The clip seems to be of incorrect size and needing a little more tension to lock in stable.

I have same issue on my 2014 60% seat.

I had used black electrical tape on the contact points to eliminate the “play”, but ended up putting on too much apparently because then the seats would not release from the latch.

Finally was able to break them loose and immediately removed tape, so back to square one.

There was a thread where someone I believe had similar issue and had to disassemble the bottom of the seat and discovered there is an adjustment that can be made to tighten the seat latching mechanism, which I think would eliminate issue.

I have same issue on my 2014 60% seat.

I had used black electrical tape on the contact points to eliminate the “play”, but ended up putting on too much apparently because then the seats would not release from the latch.

Finally was able to break them loose and immediately removed tape, so back to square one.

There was a thread where someone I believe had similar issue and had to disassemble the bottom of the seat and discovered there is an adjustment that can be made to tighten the seat latching mechanism, which I think would eliminate issue.
Any luck on finding that? Mine is squeaking like crazy. I greased a few places but it's still brutal.

Any luck on finding that? Mine is squeaking like crazy. I greased a few places but it's still brutal.

Took another swing at search to find it but could not. I feel like it was a thread related to someone’s second row seat latch mechanism being stuck and they had to disassemble the seat to dial down the tension on the seat latch so it would release.

Im not even gonna check for play.
My mind cant handle anymore defects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom