2” lift advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About to pull the trigger on a 2” lift. Asheville vehicle outfitters told me I do not need a diff drop nor UCA’s but others have told me different (they also prefer the OME kit via the dobinsons).
-OME coil spring front (heavy)
-OME nitro charger sport F/R
-OME coil spring rear

I’m between the OME nitro or Dobinsons nitro. 95% of the vehicles life will be on the road/gravel.

Also, what size tires are you guys running with the 2”? I have new BFG ko2 in 285/60r18 currently and was going to run these till I needed new tires then go bigger on stocks unless I come across rock warriors or something else that tickled my fancy.

Would not waste your money on a diff drop for this platform

What about UCA’s? Thinking also on the Dobinsons IMS. I just don’t want to sacrifice ride quality either. Really not sure which kit to go with.

What about UCA’s? Thinking also on the Dobinsons IMS. I just don’t want to sacrifice ride quality either. Really not sure which kit to go with.

Would recommend something with an OEM style ball joint then. The dobinsons are great, not adjustable but simple bolt on and gives you a bit more caster.

Would recommend something with an OEM style ball joint then. The dobinsons are great, not adjustable but simple bolt on and gives you a bit more caster.
Plan is to go with the Dobbins IMS kit. Was just unsure about having to utilize the upper control arm or not. If I do, I might go with SPC.

@motodoc I ordered a Dobinson IMS kit last night from @crikeymike at Exit Offroad, based on his reputation here and his prompt responses to a couple of questions re: springs for my needs.

I ended up with a set of UCA's from Nitro Gear that also seemed pretty well reviewed around here and were a great price.

Best of luck with your build!

I'd personally go with UCAs now as OME's real-world results often end up being taller than published, especially with heavies. 2" is pushing stock UCAs as it is, and this way you can get everything installed and aligned and be done.. if you do the lift then it turns out your stock UCAs can't get the job done you have a s***ty alignment until you can receive them, install, and align again.

UCAs should also put your alignment in range near the center of adjustment. If the stock parts can even get into range, their adjusting range will most likely be maxed out, removing any room for adjustments later if something takes a hard hit and needs massaging.

I have the OME UCAs and am very happy with them. If I'm honest I was skeptical of their bushings being as silent as they claim, but 30k miles on them so far and not a peep.

I also have the OME UCA, also happy. This is with a minimal front leveling lift.

My OME UCA's squeak (BP-51 setup).

I think Im just going to go with the Dobinson's IMS kit with the 50mm F/R 0-110lbs constant load, with no diff drop and no UCA's (per their recommendation).

If anyone has any pics of their 200 with this kit, please feel free to post photos and review(s).

There may be some advantages to no UCA, *if* you can get it in alignment with the factory geometry. That'll depend on the overall lift and if it's less than 2".

It's incremental, but the advantages are that it keeps the tires further forward improving approach angle. It'll keep more clearance against the body mount for larger tires, if you're heading in that direction. And IMO, the stock arms are long term the most durable and reliable. I've heard of aftermarket failures much more than any stock arms. Not just the ball joints, bushings, but outright failures of welds of arms. That might be over-generalizing but for every great arm there is, there's some very mediocre ones.

@motodoc I ordered a Dobinson IMS kit last night from @crikeymike at Exit Offroad, based on his reputation here and his prompt responses to a couple of questions re: springs for my needs.

I ended up with a set of UCA's from Nitro Gear that also seemed pretty well reviewed around here and were a great price.

Best of luck with your build!
Any particular reason you went with UCA's vs not outside of alignment? Im on the fence between staying with the 285/60r18 bfg's then going to a 285/65r18 on the stock wheel or a 275/70r17 with aftermarket wheels.

@motodoc yeah, two main reasons. One is that I've just about 130K miles on all original suspension, so if I'm replacing shocks/coils and am in there working already, might as well deal with the UCAs and get fresh bushings everywhere. LCA's later I suppose. Two is that in my past experience with lifts, everyone seems to get a little different height out of springs that are labeled as being the same. If I end up with more than 2" of lift, I want to make sure everything can get within spec from an alignment standpoint, and the stock ones might not get me there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom