2 Diesels, 4 Continents (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Greetings guys,

After reading around on MUD for a bit I learned what many of you clearly already know. As the seal between the T-case and the Tranny begins to fail (or some say output-spline becomes warn out) it allows the T-case to paddle gear oil up and into the Tranny. I think I've caught this problem early on and after driving a 1000kms since leveling off the Tranny and T-case there was little change. Regardless I decided to take out the fill plugs and string up a return line.

Visited my Hydraulics shop in Ushuaia (they support a lot of the antartic operations and despite being at the end of the world are well stocked and friendly)

For a little less than $40 I got two 18mm by 1.5 Banjo bolts, some Al washers and a bit of hose and it looks great. Popped the thing together on the street right in front of their shop and drove 700kms on it today and its looking good.

What I like about it more than the Man-a-Fre setup is it is quick and clean to take apart to check your levels. This evening after its first day on the road I opened it up to see how we were doing and both Tranny and T-case where right where they needed to be. So far so good!

Some more pics from todays adventure in Tierra Del Fuego And no photoshop nothing, just a bit of color accent on my cannon point and shoot and this is what came out.
IMG_2483 (Large).jpg
IMG_2665 (Large).JPG
IMG_2677 (Large).jpg

Glad you were able to get the TC tranny patched up. Great photos! Looking forward to more updates.

Found your thread :) now I can follow along.

As mentioned elsewhere, my mother is from Bahia Blanca and my father from Colombia. They met in Medical School in Buenos Aires in the 60's.

Beautiful Country! and now I can see it through your lens !!!

:beer:

Hey Guys,

So we have been capturing some video along the trip as well. Here is us doing some dynamic stability testing on the truck.

» Physics Problem (don’t worry, it’s fun!) » 4by4

If you scroll to the bottom you will find a video of a fully loaded BJ-40 in a Velodrome.

If you don't know what a velodrome is, or how far you can tip your cruiser over at 60 kph then you might find this interesting.

Saddly the true steepness isn't ever captured on video :(
DSC02232 (Large).jpg

That is sooo a vector mechanics solution, haha. learned it ages ago.

Going in a circle, there are two force vector components, the tangential and radial. The radial is also known as the centrifugal force. The embankment creates what is called a normal force vector shooting straight up underneath the cruiser, which is in the opposite direction of the force or weight created by the cruiser. This normal force has a horizontal vector towards the center of the circle of travel, since the embankment is angled towards the center. The sum of all force vectors converse and greater than the centrifugal force, or towards the center, will prevent the cruiser from flying off. Other forces that can contribute to this force vector are the friction and drag. :D:flipoff2:

Anyway, who calculates like a nerd when we got our butts to analyse all those vectors subjected to the seat. :D

Freakin boooored.........

Its worth noting that while driving I was never worried about dropping into the inside, I was much more concerned with coming out of the top, could have used steeper sides!

Ok guys, I have been keeping this post up to date better than most but I have still been very negligent. To be honest I would never have guessed how busy I would have been during this trip.

Because so much has happened, I have decided to make a movie to try and get you guys up to speed. Here is the first instillation getting us through the customs process in Buenos Aires and to the Mountain city of Bariloche!

I hope you enjoy it!

» Stage-A, The MOVIE! » 4by4

I hope to update this again in less than 4 months :)
regards,
-zach

Wow, looks mint. I might want to borrow your passenger side door as mine is quickly rusting away :)

Video Clip

Loved the video clip, well done with the music and all! Keep it up we always love to travel on someone elses' dime!

Guys, quick note here. We are currently in Coihaique Chile which is in the middle of civil unrest. As such fuel has been hard to come by. We've been buying 5 gal here and there from farms and other places. As you might guess the diesel isn't the best. Couple that with having to run the tank right down.

I am pretty sure my RACOR R45T saved the truck. I drained 100ml of water out of it this morning when the engine was running rough (starved). I then re-primed the system (using the priming pump on that filter) and the truck is running like new now.

Since this is an expedition thread I feel its important to share that the fuel/water seperator and additional filter (currently using 10 micron RACOR + the usual fuel filter (FRAM))

Anyway guys, just wanted to share that, Better to have a clogged filter than...

Will keep you posted once I find some more diesel :)

-z$

Go man. Live the dream

GLAD TO SEE YOU OUT THERE DOING IT ALL. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR TRAVELS. NICE TO SEE AND HEAR ABOUT THE BJ40. GO DUDE and good luck finding diesel and parts. FJFJFJ owner bj41 1980

Greetings guys. I found diesel (happened across a fuel station just as the tanker pulled in) and I bypassed the RACOR (Clogged) and everything is running great.

Here is another video you guys might like. Better than the first. This is stage B:

Stage B – The Movies Continue! 4by4

Great vid! What are you going to do with an Easy Tomato?

Adventurous greetings,
Coen

p.s. have to ask: the sheep. Is that timelapse? or video?

Greetings Coen.

Easy Tomato is a product of the non-profit we are raising money for during this trip. Its a router that acts as a firewall to prevent people from disrupting slow networks by spending all of their time on Facebook or YouTube. In disaster areas this is a huge problem, (Imagine all the volunteers coming down to Haiti vs. the condition of their internet connection)

The Sheep was a go-pro video that we sped up to 10x. It was incredibly good fortune that the Go-pro was mounted and running at the time. (It fell off and was never recovered 3 days later but has since been replaced)

Here are a few pics from the past couple of days:

The Perito Moreno Glacier in Argentina
The dirt track to the Chilean Border
Us camping in the partially destroyed (Volcano) town of Chaiten at the end of the Carratera Austral
IMG_2986 (Large).jpg
IMG_3037 (Large).jpg
IMG_3186 (Large).jpg

Greetings Coen.

Easy Tomato is a product of the non-profit we are raising money for during this trip. Its a router that acts as a firewall to prevent people from disrupting slow networks by spending all of their time on Facebook or YouTube. In disaster areas this is a huge problem, (Imagine all the volunteers coming down to Haiti vs. the condition of their internet connection)l

I know what Easy Tomato does, I read about it after I read the blog post with the video. They said they would ship you a router. So I was just wondering what you would be doing with a router on the road?

The Sheep was a go-pro video that we sped up to 10x. It was incredibly good fortune that the Go-pro was mounted and running at the time. (It fell off and was never recovered 3 days later but has since been replaced)

That is good to know. I like the quality of the speeding, normally that doesn't look good at all.

Keep 'm rolling.

Updateq

Greetings Guys,

We just survived the Highway of Death in Bolivia.

Truck is running fine, think its time for a tune up:
So far: New fuel filters, new Air Filter
To do: Check the valve clearances (How hard is this to do, anybody know a good shop in La Paz for this?)
Oil Change, Its only been 5,000kms but oil just dosen't last as long at 14,000'

Here is the latest update and some more pictures: Babe Rescues Mika From Acute Mountain Sickness via Bolivia’s Infamous Highway of Death. You Can’t Make This Stuff Up! 4by4
HOD.JPG
IMG_3798 (Large).jpg
IMG_3838 (Large).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom