2.2 Liter L, injector nozzle opening pressures? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I have a 1983 Toyota pickup with the 2.2 liter L engine. I am curious about opening pressures for the injectors. I have sent the injectors off to be tested and rebuilt if necessary. The shops is saying that the tested pressures seem high. The Toyota manual for the L says the pressures should be 115 - 125 kg/cm2(1636 - 1778 psi), but my injectors are currently running at 135 kg/cm2 (~1920psi). Anybody have experience with this? Truck is mostly running fine, I am just doing some maintenance to keep it in tip top shape mechanically. Pump is also with them as it was leaking. Should I leave the injector pressures where they are? Or bring them down within spec according to the shop manual?

Thanks.

What does the ve part number on side of injection pump say? The proper pressure is part of the number.

Image attached...

IMG_1347.jpeg

2200. So your injectors are perfect.
Thanks for replying, but I am hoping you could maybe elaborate? My injectors are currently setup at around 135 kg/cm2 (~1920psi). You are saying this is the correct setup? 2200 is the max that this pump can put out? Any idea about benefits of higher or lower opening pressures?

Thanks for replying, but I am hoping you could maybe elaborate? My injectors are currently setup at around 135 kg/cm2 (~1920psi). You are saying this is the correct setup? 2200 is the max that this pump can put out? Any idea about benefits of higher or lower opening pressures?

Pump and injectors should match. If injectors open at higher pressure, they'll open late, if they are lower pressure, they open early.

It's possible someone swapped to a newer pump at some point, and had the injectors adjusted to match. I think it was around 1989 they went to the higher pressure version.

Interesting. The thing is that the part number(22100 - 54300) matches what is specified for 1983. For laters years the second number goes up considerably.

FYI 2200 on the pump name plate does not mean 2200psi. VE pumps never state the pump pressures on the name plate. For your VE4/9F2200RND089 it actually means;

VE - distributor type injection pump
4 - 4 cylinder
9 - 9mm plunger diameter
F - mechanical governor
2200 - pump governor RPM, keep in mind this is pump RPM not engine RPM. So actual engine speed is twice the pump speed so 4400RPM
R - clockwise pump rotation
The remaining ND089, is just the production/serial numbers used by manufacturers.

Last edited:
Oops, thanks for schooling me. My bad. Not sure how I mixed that up. :oops: Best to go by the fsm then.

Maybe your injectors were rebuilt to wrong spec at some point?

FYI 2200 on the pump name plate does not mean 2200psi. VE pumps never state the pump pressures on the name plate. For your VE4/9F2200RND089 it actually means;

VE - distributor type injection pump
4 - 4 cylinder
9 - 9mm plunger diameter
F - mechanical governor
2200 - pump governor RPM, keep in mind this is pump RPM not engine RPM. So actual engine speed is twice the pump speed so 4400RPM
R - clockwise pump rotation
The remaining ND089, is just the production/serial numbers used by manufacturers.
Thanks. I had found a weird page that mentioned something along these lines, but was uncertain of how accurate it was. I am thinking I will have them reset the injectors down to the top of the FSM specs and see how that goes.

You'll likely gain some power as injectors will open longer.

Here to report that everything has gone back together and is running very well. Rebuilt pump and new Denso nozzles on the injectors. We went with the upper end of factory spec on the opening pressures(right around 125 kg/cm2). Engine is smoother than ever and driveability seems to be improved. Not a scientific test, but low end does seem a bit better. Could be the rebuilt and freshly timed pump as well.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Looking for a lifeline here regarding correct injectors for a 1990 LJ73 (May 1989 build) w/ 2.4L 2LT Model MNXW that was Spain import and now in Colorado USA. I had the injection pump rebuilt and the nozzles were to be refurbished by a diesel machine shop and the nozzles were lost. So now they get to buy me new injector nozzles - if they/ I can find the correct parts for them to purchase.

Was able to locate a set of 4 P/N 23600-59035 (DN4SDND133) or so they said…I couldn’t confirm they were Denso. Anyway the line threaded on fine but the nozzle holder housing on the injector was too small diameter at the cylinder head - best caliper reading at head was 20.33mm and nozzle housing thread was 19.88mm. Based on the attached chart there‘s 9 various injector P/N’s for a 2LT so one down…8 to go.

Any assist would be greatly appreciated and if the P/N is determined any help in locating the correct injectors w/ housing assemblies would be very helpful. My understanding is that this engine is a first generation 2LT and the injector pump is definitely manual so no 2LTE and I don’t believe it’s a 2LT-II. Thanks Much

Attachments

• Various Toyota 2LT Diesel Nozzles.pdf
    203 KB · Views: 59
Here to report that everything has gone back together and is running very well. Rebuilt pump and new Denso nozzles on the injectors. We went with the upper end of factory spec on the opening pressures(right around 125 kg/cm2). Engine is smoother than ever and driveability seems to be improved. Not a scientific test, but low end does seem a bit better. Could be the rebuilt and freshly timed pump as well.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
I’m in need of an injection pump and injector service as well! I’m up in Massachusetts with an 83 long bed SR5 and no one seems to have an idea on where to get parts. Who did you use and does anyone have any suggestions for up in the northeast?

My injector pump was rebuilt by Gillett Diesel in Bluffdale UT. I can provide contact info if you can’t find a shop closer. They come highly recommended but I have yet to get my 2LT running due to the injector nozzles being lost / tossed before they could rebuild or refurbish. Anyway, I’ve done an extensive search and research to try and replace these nozzles.

My goal is to stay OEM but that‘s been a challenge so far. Dave Stedman @ Japan4x4 has been super helpful and continues to try and track down the correct replacement injector nozzles from Toyota that are compatible with the NLA injector nozzles PN 23600-59035. Dave’s contact is stedman@japan4x4.com. Looks like it may be a special piecemeal nozzle to have the correct thread OD nut size at the head (20mm OD Does Not Fit) and spring replacement in the nozzle to assure the correct lower pressure…approx. 120 - 125 kg/cm2.

With you being in MA another source that claims to be able to get replacement injector nozzles (not sure about a replacement injector pump) is Land Crusier Parts in Sullivan NH. I was in Ireland for vacation and just returned. I may have also found a parts source in Ireland/Britain/Europe if the above sources can’t deliver. Will give an update as this all plays out.

I’m in need of an injection pump and injector service as well! I’m up in Massachusetts with an 83 long bed SR5 and no one seems to have an idea on where to get parts. Who did you use and does anyone have any suggestions for up in the northeast?
I used DFIS in Portland Oregon. Oddly enough their website doesn't seem to be up at the moment. They are a highly recommended diesel shop. I had used them before for injector rebuilding for my VW TDI. The mechanic named Kyle worked on the pump and injectors this time around. Very knowledgable. I am sure there are decent shops in New England, but since I already had experience with them it was a no brainer. Their communication is excellent and turn around time was about 2 weeks if I am remembering correctly.

New OEM Denso injectors were installed at the factory spec opening pressures. They have a lot of experience with diesel Toyotas and there was no talk at all about availability on the Denso injectors. He mentioned that he really likes the Denso because they always fall within spec and they haven't jacked the prices up over the years.

Complete pump rebuild, cleaning injector bodies, and installing and pressure testing of new nozzles came out to around $1300 w/ shipping back and forth. The pump literally looks brand new.

I highly recommend contacting them. Phone number is 503-235-1947 and the only email I have is for their front office person, Christy at christy@dfispdx.com

IMG_1599.jpeg

Good to hear, can never have too many sources for excellent repair services and parts availability for these old, hard to replace/ refurb diesels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom