1st time working on the 80 rear axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in replacing bearings and seals in my 80-series for the first time. My wife is helping so we can get it done faster. The truck is up and we got to the point of removing the hubs. On one side the old seal has the rubber flange to the inside of the hub; one side has the rubber flange to the outside of the hub (pictured below).

Which is the correct orientation? I can't tell from the FSM.

63AC9E94-2DB9-4315-9DEC-D3EC9717C181.jpeg

Also not clear in the FSM....during reassembly, do the retainer screws need to line up and go into the holes on the lock nut plate? Seems to make sense, but the FSM I have didn't mention making sure it happened.

Last edited:
@Onur thanks for the assist. My gut feeling is to not trust any old person that throws a video up on youtube...glad I listened. Looks like there's a couple videos out there showing installation with the wrong orientation.

@Onur thanks for the assist. My gut feeling is to not trust any old person that throws a video up on youtube...glad I listened. Looks like there's a couple videos out there showing installation with the wrong orientation.
I fumbled with the same thing when I did mine. As always, the advice from Mud members helped me navigate areas where the FSM fell short. I have a maintenance thread that has pictures of how I put mine back together. Search for threads under my tag, there's only a few so you can't miss it.

Hey old people have a lot of good information. We been around the block a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom