1st gear almost unresponsive...help!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

My FJ60 is starting to develop a serious problem...I have to rev the engine to nearly 3K to get it rolling out of 1st gear. The other gears seem progressively less effected by this problem, once I'm in 4th the truck performs fine. Is this a clutch problem? Transmission? Is it really serious?

The engine seems to be running fine except for a faint flapping/knocking sound that I can't pinpoint. Engine idles perfectly. No fluids appear to be leaking.

Help!

Thanks,

Johnny

(also thanks to all the guys who put in their two cents about air pumps last time I posted).

So it is acting like an automatic? Or you have to rev the tar out of the motor while engaging the clutch so it won't die?

x2

when in gear is that when it is reving up?

Sounds like time to replace clutch/pressure plate/TO Bearing...

Feels like I'm using the wrong gear....

Thanks for your help, guys...

It idles fine and is never in danger of dying. I have to use unusually high rpm (3000) to get it moving from a dead stop. It feels exactly like I'm using 2nd or 3rd gear when I should be using 1st.

Truck shifts fine. Never grinds or misses a gear but this must be a clutch issue, right?

Johnny

Thanks for your help, guys...

It idles fine and is never in danger of dying. I have to use unusually high rpm (3000) to get it moving from a dead stop. It feels exactly like I'm using 2nd or 3rd gear when I should be using 1st.

Truck shifts fine. Never grinds or misses a gear but this must be a clutch issue, right?

Johnny

if it feels like you are taking off in 2nd or third as in the truck feels as if it has no power i would not suspect a clutch issue...

i would suspect the clutch when your foot is all the way off of it and in gear and you still arnt moving (cause its slipping) tho that doesnt sound like the case for you.

in first, clutch out.

Mash the gas pedal, do the RPM's climb or does it accelerate?

Signature says 95K...
Do you drive like a Grama?
I just tore the bellhousing of an FJ60 2F with 262K with original clutch that probably still had 20-30K in it.
Driving style determines it all I guess...

dangit... I missed it... I've been watching MACE to get to 10,000 posts. I missed it by 1

A person with mad clutch skills can kill a clutch in less than 5K...

;)

after you get it rolling and shift into 2'nd gear ...does the motor rev higher than normal... being in the bottom end of 2'nd gear....and acelerateing.....does it feel like it's slipping??? ..... now the "flapping/knocking" sound could be the heat riser flap inside your exhaust mainfold......now that i went there... could it be ?......flapper stuck ..to much back pressure ....need to make more power so more throttle is applied...just to get it rolling..............???????????????? just a thought ????? blocked cat maybe ....restricked exhaust ect.ect.ect

mace,

To your question:

1st gear, clutch out. I mash the gas and the rpms climb to 2000 and it begins crawling. Needs almost 3000 to accelerate enough to shift to 2nd.

Candograge,

The motor revs a little higher in 2nd also. 3rd and 4th, too although definetly worst in 1st. Truck now has 96,500 and I'm very gentle with the clutch. It could be time to go, though.

The flapping sound I mentioned is very quiet. Might be nothing at all. Seems in time with rpms and engine seems to working OK, just can't seem to transfer the power for some reason.

mace,

To your question:

1st gear, clutch out. I mash the gas and the rpms climb to 2000 and it begins crawling. Needs almost 3000 to accelerate enough to shift to 2nd.

You need a new clutch

What is happening is that you generally get more clamping pressure with higher RPM's So as you accelerate from a low RPM it is easier to make the clutch slip..

You need a new clutch

What is happening is that you generally get more clamping pressure with higher RPM's So as you accelerate from a low RPM it is easier to make the clutch slip..

yup clutch is toast.

1. Move your truck to safe place.
2. Place the tranny position in neutral.
3. Press the brake and clutch pedal and hold then start the motor.
4. Move tranny position to 3rd gear. (still hold the brake and clutch pedal)
5. Release the clutch pedal slowly. (still hold the brake pedal)
6. If your engine still live with brake pedal pressed and tranny is in 3rd gear, it is the time you must repair your clutch parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom