1hz fuel issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, my 1hz (hzj75) has all the sudden become pretty much undriveable, went from starting fine to being very hard to start and now undriveable.

Ive had nothing but fuel issues since i bought my cruiser (built up algae and rust in tank, going through filters etc) but felt like all my problems were solved after cleaning my fuel tank but now all the sudden it gets bugger all fuel. I replaced fuel filter and bled injectors but i cant even give it a half decent rev without it stalling.

Ive checked fuel lines and havent come across and damaged hoses or anything and manual primer goes soft almost immediately so i ordered a new one hoping thats it.

Something worth noting is that this engine has pretty low compression and my injectors are on the way out but i dont believe that these would cause it to start and drive fine one day, then go s*** the next day to this extent.

Hey all, my 1hz (hzj75) has all the sudden become pretty much undriveable, went from starting fine to being very hard to start and now undriveable.

Ive had nothing but fuel issues since i bought my cruiser (built up algae and rust in tank, going through filters etc) but felt like all my problems were solved after cleaning my fuel tank but now all the sudden it gets bugger all fuel. I replaced fuel filter and bled injectors but i cant even give it a half decent rev without it stalling.

Ive checked fuel lines and havent come across and damaged hoses or anything and manual primer goes soft almost immediately so i ordered a new one hoping thats it.

Something worth noting is that this engine has pretty low compression and my injectors are on the way out but i dont believe that these would cause it to start and drive fine one day, then go s*** the next day to this extent.

What about that wee little screened pickup in the tank?

Did you replace that yet?

Immediately suspect is that the primer goes soft so quickly. That tells me there is a leak somewhere. Visual inspection of fuel lines is often not enough, and you need to vacuum test each component, as you will not see a "leak" as there is no fuel coming OUT since it is on a vacuum (there may be some sweat residue in the area). However, air can get IN and that is what you are searching for. The engine only needs air and fuel, and if it is not running, then there is no fuel.

If all the lines check out then it may be that the problem lies with the fuel pump.

A couple of us have noticed air getting in right where the pickup lines curve down into the tank, seems like a weak spot. I would verify all the fuel lines again with a vacuum pump before suspecting the pump. Hopefully the new primer is all it is. Cheers, and good luck!

Had the same problem when I first got mine. New primer pump fixed it. Good luck!

Clear fuel line will tell you if air is getting in or not. Temporarily replace the length right before the fuel pump and look for the telltale signs. If there is air then start working backwards. If not then your problem lies elsewhere... As @Rigster said the fuel pickup line where it curves out of the tank is a potential vulnerability

Clear fuel line will tell you if air is getting in or not. Temporarily replace the length right before the fuel pump and look for the telltale signs. If there is air then start working backwards. If not then your problem lies elsewhere... As @Rigster said the fuel pickup line where it curves out of the tank is a potential vulnerability
Just an update, replaced the lines to and from the filter with clear hoses and have this result (constant fuel TO the filter, bugger all FROM the filter), brand new filter housing/primer pump, filter is on tight, could this be the result of the fitting on the bottom of the filter potentially?

Try the clear hose from the IP to filter. If you do not get clear fuel then suspect the primer. Work your way to the tank until your clear line is basically full of clear fuel vs lots of air bubbles.

With clear line on either side of the primer, that is odd that very little is getting FROM the primer to the pump when the primer is getting good fuel/no air.

Can you walk us through what your experience was when you changed the primer and filter? Did the primer get firm? When it got firm, how much fuel was coming out towards the pump?

If it got firm but very little fuel LEFT the filter to the pump, then I would suspect you have something blocking the flow to the pump. It also sounds like there was a heap of ugliness in your fuel system, so it is VERY likely you will need to clean out the lines to the pump. Easiest way to test this, is check the line that crosses the firewall, and the rubber hose after that to the pump. Or, if you are lazy(mean nothing by this BTW), or lack a vacuum or pressure tester, bypass those and connect clear line to the pump and test priming again.

If all those lines check out, then under the banjo bolt feeding the fuel into the pump there is a screen to catch any crap that somehow makes it past the fuel filter. That may need cleaning as well.

Finally - have you checked the return lines FROM the pump to the tank? The fuel takes a circular route back to the tank through the pump, and if that is blocked, then it will also cause issues with nowhere for the air to go as you prime. So the primer getting firm just means you are compressing the air trapped with nowhere to go, and stopping the fuel flow.

Once you finally sort what is stopping the flow, I would run a couple of cans of seafoam to clean the system. Best of luck! :cheers:

Here's where the screen is… right under f/c solenoid.

PXL_20230205_142559232.jpg

Here's the new screen (and f/c solenoid) part numbers.

PXL_20230205_142537663.jpg

I like Liqui Moly Diesel Purge. You can run the truck straight off the bottle so very concentrated.

Here's where the screen is… right under f/c solenoid.

View attachment 3338604

Here's the new screen (and f/c solenoid) part numbers.

View attachment 3338605

I like Liqui Moly Diesel Purge. You can run the truck straight off the bottle so very concentrated.
That is yet another screen. But I was referring to a longer, narrower one under the banjo bolt where the fuel first enters the pump.

Might as well go through the system in order. The screen under the banjo bolt is quite difficult to remove, so I would inspect, if there is a bunch of crud in there, try to vacuum it out. I ended MacGyvering a hose about the same size as the hole on my shopvac, then holding it against the hole. Worked quite effectively!

With clear line on either side of the primer, that is odd that very little is getting FROM the primer to the pump when the primer is getting good fuel/no air.

Can you walk us through what your experience was when you changed the primer and filter? Did the primer get firm? When it got firm, how much fuel was coming out towards the pump?

If it got firm but very little fuel LEFT the filter to the pump, then I would suspect you have something blocking the flow to the pump. It also sounds like there was a heap of ugliness in your fuel system, so it is VERY likely you will need to clean out the lines to the pump. Easiest way to test this, is check the line that crosses the firewall, and the rubber hose after that to the pump. Or, if you are lazy(mean nothing by this BTW), or lack a vacuum or pressure tester, bypass those and connect clear line to the pump and test priming again.

If all those lines check out, then under the banjo bolt feeding the fuel into the pump there is a screen to catch any crap that somehow makes it past the fuel filter. That may need cleaning as well.

Finally - have you checked the return lines FROM the pump to the tank? The fuel takes a circular route back to the tank through the pump, and if that is blocked, then it will also cause issues with nowhere for the air to go as you prime. So the primer getting firm just means you are compressing the air trapped with nowhere to go, and stopping the fuel flow.

Once you finally sort what is stopping the flow, I would run a couple of cans of seafoam to clean the system. Best of luck! :cheers:
After i replaced the filter it would not properly hold prime and go hard until i had the car running, couple things there i havent checked. I ended up using air to see if there was a blockage in the fuel pickup, after a couple tries it sucked an absolute s***LOAD of rust through. So it mustve gotten really rusty since i last cleaned the tank and ill be pulling it out and sending it somewhere to be cleaned. Ill report back after thats done but thanks a tonne for the suggestions!

After i replaced the filter it would not properly hold prime and go hard until i had the car running, couple things there i havent checked. I ended up using air to see if there was a blockage in the fuel pickup, after a couple tries it sucked an absolute s***LOAD of rust through. So it mustve gotten really rusty since i last cleaned the tank and ill be pulling it out and sending it somewhere to be cleaned. Ill report back after thats done but thanks a tonne for the suggestions!
Yikes! That is weird that you would get RUST in a tank holding fuel oil. Somehow condensation or water got in there. I have only seen algae grow in diesel tanks that are left too long. I would be concerned about that tank now, but hopefully wherever you send it will be able to tell you if it just needs a good clean and will be fine, or you may be better getting a new tank.

I am hoping they can clean and recondition it for you nicely. :cheers:

That is yet another screen. But I was referring to a longer, narrower one under the banjo bolt where the fuel first enters the pump.

Might as well go through the system in order. The screen under the banjo bolt is quite difficult to remove

The banjo bolt actually has a filter built into as well. I took mine apart through brute force and then got a new banjo bolt.

I just looked at our message history and found this photo. Did you ever find a way to remove that long skinny filter? I don't even know where that one is one mine.

1686335011877.png

22160-64010

The banjo bolt actually has a filter built into as well. I took mine apart through brute force and then got a new banjo bolt.

I just looked at our message history and found this photo. Did you ever find a way to remove that long skinny filter? I don't even know where that one is one mine.

View attachment 3344866
22160-64010
Hey bud,

Yeah I do recall our conversation as well, and I was even using a dental style pick to try and grab the screen filter 22602-5B320 which is located below where the fuel first enters the pump. So this screen is the first to filter anything that gets past the main fuel filter. Going by your picture, it is below 90099-18022 which is a different style banjo bolt with a cap. The cap holds the fuel inlet line from the filter housing.

@TheMissingLINX - get all the other fuel related issues sorted first, and leave the fuel pump as a last resort. As you can see from the parts diagram, it is a complicated mess... lol.

EDIT: Sorry, never even answered your question! No, I did not end up popping it out. I was applying enough force that any more would start to damage things, so I elected to vacuum it out. It was actually quite clean, so I left it well enough alone after that. Still have the replacement screen filter I ordered... lol.

Yikes! That is weird that you would get RUST in a tank holding fuel oil. Somehow condensation or water got in there. I have only seen algae grow in diesel tanks that are left too long. I would be concerned about that tank now, but hopefully wherever you send it will be able to tell you if it just needs a good clean and will be fine, or you may be better getting a new tank.

I am hoping they can clean and recondition it for you nicely. :cheers:
Yeah im super surprised about the rust, there was a decent amount in there when i first cleaned it (its probably had s*** fuel in it and done a lot of sitting around in its past i reckon). Kinda strange that its built up so much since the last clean though, ill probably be adding pictures of it when i get it out

Hey bud,

Yeah I do recall our conversation as well, and I was even using a dental style pick to try and grab the screen filter 22602-5B320 which is located below where the fuel first enters the pump. So this screen is the first to filter anything that gets past the main fuel filter. Going by your picture, it is below 90099-18022 which is a different style banjo bolt with a cap. The cap holds the fuel inlet line from the filter housing.

@TheMissingLINX - get all the other fuel related issues sorted first, and leave the fuel pump as a last resort. As you can see from the parts diagram, it is a complicated mess... lol.

EDIT: Sorry, never even answered your question! No, I did not end up popping it out. I was applying enough force that any more would start to damage things, so I elected to vacuum it out. It was actually quite clean, so I left it well enough alone after that. Still have the replacement screen filter I ordered... lol.
Appreciate that parts blowout mate

So ive just pulled the tank and its not that bad, nowhere near as much crap compared to last time, there definitely is some in there shown in the photos (allbeit hard to see) thatll need purging, especially in that box section where the fuel pickup sucks the fuel through.

As for the pickup itself, it doesnt look like theres too much rust in it and the mesh filter is still pretty clear, same goes with the hoses from what i can tell.

Ill give it all another decent clean and put it back in but i have a feeling this wont solve my problem.

26355A34-8096-44A3-AB56-31077F4CD6C0.jpeg

C5DF22BF-0499-4A23-A456-6E91BA58E952.jpeg

70BF5F56-31D4-4EA6-8A28-D0C4A2222DC9.jpeg

B42926B7-2991-4917-A0DE-455973A28E17.jpeg

How are the hard lines on the pickup looking, just outside the tank? Mine had some rust and were allowing air in the system. I'd give them a careful once over just to be thorough... Since you're there.

I think it was @sleepydad69 or @ATL Cruiser that cleaned his tank out using several gallons of vinegar, so you might want to try that. And as @JDM Journeys has wisely pointed out, a weak point on these is the bend in the pickup just before it goes into the tank. I find a pressure or vacuum test works best to test the lines.

If your lines are full of gunk, you will want to clean those. If it were me, new fuel lines are not too expensive, so you might want to think about replacing them end to end. Far cheaper than a new fuel pump. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom