1HZ engine feels underpowered. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
ardnez.com
1HZ engine in HZJ73 feels underpowered when going up a road with a 7% - 9% grade incline hitting 2800-3200 rpm, doing 20-40 mph blowing black smoke, is this normal for a 1HZ, since it is a slow engine or is this a problem?

A 1HZ isn't a powerhouse, on a good day it makes 130 hp...

If it's blowing a lot of smoke, probably time for injector service. When was the air filter last replaced?

I'm guessing at those speeds vs RPM you're probably in 3rd gear? What tyre size are you running?

Lastly, are you at altitude?

Do the fuel and air filter. If the air filter is seriously blocked, it will cause black smoke as its strangling the amount of oxygen the engine has to burn the fuel with.

It should be able to rev to 4200 in neutral according to the FSM.
I can get down to 3rd gear at 7% and maintain 80kph but no serious smoke.

Not much smoke but noticeable.

Air filter is pretty new, only been on 2 dusty trails and have cleaned it out thoroughly right after.

I’m guessing I’m on 3rd gear, I’m driving an automatic haha.

Specific portion that I’m riding through is 13.6 miles gaining 5,093 ft of elevation at 7%-9% average grade.

Ah, I couldn’t find it on the FSM but I see now, very helpful, do you know the part number for the OEM Toyota fuel filter and air filter? Cant seem to find it on the manual.

74CDE69E-B844-4EF0-9CBB-6855BE65F3EA.jpeg

Last edited:
The air filter is 17801-61030 and its the same as a US 80 series. Fuel filter is 23303-64010
There is lots of aftermarket filters and they work as well as OEM in most cases.
They share the same engine and transmission parts as a HZJ75 which is probably the most numerous of the 7* series.

The automatic probably robs 5% or more power than the manual

Last edited:
Thank you for all the helpful suggestions, gonna start off with fuel filter and make my way to the other suggestions but like most of you mentioned, automatic 1HZ is the probable cause haha!

After driving 1HZ for a few hundred thousand klms, they will never get better than 12L/100klms, 13 is about average. Compared to a 3F that gets about 20/100, its not too bad.

And force it to downshift if you don’t.

Meaning don’t just shove it in drive and press that accelerator pedal. Down shift the trans manually on those grades to keep rpms and power band where it needs to be.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom