1HZ Coolant Over Flow Tank Boiling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
ardnez.com
So I noticed that my coolant overflow tank was boiling after i went up an extremely steep hill, temp gauge was slightly below the red, do you think this can be due to a cracked head gasket, other causes or is this normal? Also pretty sure my radiator has a tiny leak since i noticed dried up coolant in between radiator and shroud and splashed onto timing belt cover, not sure if this can also be a cause. Thanks!

you don't ever want to see the temp needle anywhere near the red line. if you install a stand alone water temp gauge and you drove the same scenario you would be shocked at how hot your engine is. my engine wasn't an HZ but same concern. you can go to a local parts store and get a head gasket leak test, this tests the coolant for exhaust in the coolant which would indicate a cracked head or damaged head gasket, unless there is another way for exhaust to get into the coolant. I would run that test first.

Sounds like your cooling system is in less than optimal shape. I would quit driving it ASAP.

You know it has a radiator leak and you have overflow boiling. Not a good sign. You "may" have already popped a headgasket, but maybe not. May have just got lucky an only started to overheat.

I'd pull the radiator and get it tested/repaired/replaced.
New water pump, flush system, new hoses

I'd probably even do a pressure check to make sure you don't have a headgasket blown.

The thing is that the coolant overflow tank only did this once ever since i’ve owned a 1HZ, and it was specifically over a 13% grade incline on a warm day for 7 miles, temp gauge slowly rose below the red mark and as i got to the very top i pulled over and opened the hood to check if anything was off and coolant was bubbling/boiling, this only happened once since 7 months of owning. Never again has the temp gauge rose over the half mark but radiator def needs to be replaced, small tiny crack, losing coolant at an extremely low rate but coolant overflow tank still stays above the low mark once the engine is warmed up.

The thing is that the coolant overflow tank only did this once ever since i’ve owned a 1HZ, and it was specifically over a 13% grade incline on a warm day for 7 miles, temp gauge slowly rose below the red mark and as i got to the very top i pulled over and opened the hood to check if anything was off and coolant was bubbling/boiling, this only happened once since 7 months of owning. Never again has the temp gauge rose over the half mark but radiator def needs to be replaced, small tiny crack, losing coolant at an extremely low rate but coolant overflow tank still stays above the low mark once the engine is warmed up.

I'd imagine you are fine on your headgasket then. I would however replace/repair radiator, flush coolant, replace hoses and waterpump and then not have to worry about it.

Hoping its nothing more than just the radiator system, I will get onto it asap, do any of you know the exact OEM part number for the 1HZ radiator, I got 2 different ones on megazip.net so I’m not 100% sure.

16400-17080 is the OEM PN for M/T 7x series with 1HX engines.

Available in US market from your local Toyota dealer.

Very nice T.Rad unit.
I had this number written down but wasn’t 100% sure because I got these as well from megazip.net

49399A64-772A-439E-B3C2-FD1D06C31F7C.jpeg

Yes it will do fine and it is the correct part number of you have a manual transmission. Correct and direct fit. You might need 16711-17011 though depending on the shroud you have in there now.

Shrouds are mated to radiators, design-wise.

Based on what’s happening, I’d highly recommend a cooling system overhaul at the same time— water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, all hoses. Don’t half-ass this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom