1HZ compression figures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

petermac said:
That should have been Kohei. He did some searching and spoke to a couple other mechanics in Japan who seem to think that with the gas not shut off, the figures are what you would expect. He promises the engine is good. If it isn't, he's going to pay for repairs - that's our agreement. We'll see what happens, either way.

I'm glad it's a 1HZ though...

Peter

Well if you get it if the engine is shot it will probably be cheaper to get an other engine than fixing the existing one.

The guys he was talking to were mainly the 80sfreaks guys. I got an email yesterday morning asking me if the compression check was done in the injector holes or the glow holes and if the fuel solenoid should be turned off. So I am 99.99% sure we are talking about the same truck.

Best of luck with that. I am off to Kyoto tomorrow to see a racing diesel shop.

Dave said:
Well if you get it if the engine is shot it will probably be cheaper to get an other engine than fixing the existing one.

The guys he was talking to were mainly the 80sfreaks guys. I got an email yesterday morning asking me if the compression check was done in the injector holes or the glow holes and if the fuel solenoid should be turned off. So I am 99.99% sure we are talking about the same truck.

Best of luck with that. I am off to Kyoto tomorrow to see a racing diesel shop.

Dave,

Why do you think it's cheaper to buy a new 1HZ? I have done complete overhauls to 1HZ's & 1HD-T's for under $2000 US, just parts though not counting machining. How much do 1HZ's go for in your area?

cheers,

tito

Petermac,

I'm an optimist so I believe that if you do the test with the considerations that I posted earlier your readings should be fine ... and if the engine were to be shot give me a holler and I can quote you genuine parts here in Panama.

Do you get Toyota diesel parts in Canada?

cheers,

tito

So, the truck is going to a Toyota dealer to have a second compression test done. Kohei is going to make certain that it is done correctly this time. He'll be emailing me a copy of the receipt from the dealership as well as photos of the the entire process - which he did last time incidently. Will post up with the results - should be done no later than Monday.

He's very confident that the engine is in excellent condition. I'm inclined to believe him since he has been very forthcoming and willing to go out of his way to answer all my concerns throughout this whole affair.

Thanks for all the replies - very helpful.

Peter

Last edited:
-uhuru- said:
Petermac,

I'm an optimist so I believe that if you do the test with the considerations that I posted earlier your readings should be fine ... and if the engine were to be shot give me a holler and I can quote you genuine parts here in Panama.

Do you get Toyota diesel parts in Canada?

cheers,

tito
Thanks for the offer Tito. Very kind of you. As Wayne has pointed out, I'm told it is very easy to get parts for the 1HZ through 4wheelauto and/or ENS Industrial.

I'll let you know though if I ever need anything that I am unable to find here.

Cheers!

Peter

-uhuru- said:
Dave,

Why do you think it's cheaper to buy a new 1HZ? I have done complete overhauls to 1HZ's & 1HD-T's for under $2000 US, just parts though not counting machining. How much do 1HZ's go for in your area?
tito

The "just parts" comment pretty much sums it up. Tally in the labour and the machining and presto you have a medium sized bill.

1HZ are not dropping from the trees here but they are not rare.

Kohei had the compression retested Friday at a Toyota shop in Japan. Here are the results - they're excellent:

1. 37kg/cm2
2. 36kg/cm2
3. 37kig/cm2
4. 36kg/cm2
5. 37kg/cm2
6. 37kg/cm2

Check the photos:
DSCN1077.jpg
DSCN1078.jpg
DSCN1079.jpg

good news!

I noticed 2 batteries ... is the truck 24V?

Tito

-uhuru- said:
good news!

I noticed 2 batteries ... is the truck 24V?

Tito

Yes, it is. I'll be installing a 24-12V converter for accessories once the truck arrives.

Great! Enjoy your rig when it gets here...

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom