1HDT or 1HZ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't put a H55 behind a 1HD-T, I suggest a H15#

That looks like a good deal, but remember that's an exchange engine, you'd need t find out the core charge.

The best way now days to source a 1hdt is to buy a running canadian import JDM 80 series that you can test drive. Many of the engines imported recently have be wasted (I fell victim to one with 4 spun bearings). Overhauling the engine will be all of $3,500 if not more parts and machining.

Setting the engine in the frame is 10% of the job. There are dozens of other items to make the truck run for a while. If you mechanic "says" he can make an adapter for the h55 run away from him.

H55 are the best choice in 40/70/60 series conversions in the US. The h150/1 is very rare and NONE of the parts are US items to rebuild or repair. It is also large and may not fit most bodies (certainly not a swb 40 or early 70 swb). We did not get the part time fully manual t case and most parts are offshore only.

be warned now, that toyota in the US is unlikely to deliver many hd/hz engine parts anymore to US customers. I am more than certain that timing belts, injection pump O rings, valve adjustment shims, and many other pieces are contraband at us dealers. Small minded toyota fails to realize the world is a lot smaller than it was 20 years ago and parts can be easily ordered (with 2 week lead time) from overseas- cheaper than stateside.

I have built and run a hdt/h55 for 8 years in a 70 series, I have built hdt/r151 and hdt/h151 trucks, and have driven one of the oldest hdt/h55 60 series conversions in the US (birth year 1996!).

Maybe I'm missing something but if you're spending the money on a 1HD-T why not spring for a 1HD-FT?

If my 1HD-T ever goes I'm swapping for the 24 valve in a heartbeat.

For ultimate reliability on the long trip south with excellent parts availability and easy to work on go with 1HZ. If you think at any time you will turbo it then go with a 1HD-T/FT since turboing a 1HZ is a costly proposition

Although I've never driven a 1HD-T powered Cruiser and therefore have no opinion, I'm very pleased with my turbocharged / Intercooled 1HZ. The power is good and the operating temps. are reasonably low.

you put effort and $$$ to push your 1HZ perform like any stock 1HD-T .. you loose something .. better have an stock reliable 1HD-T from the beginning . .

Maybe I'm missing something but if you're spending the money on a 1HD-T why not spring for a 1HD-FT?

If my 1HD-T ever goes I'm swapping for the 24 valve in a heartbeat.

In Australia, 1hd-ft are priced like unicorn s***!

There is not a lot of real benefit in the 24v hdft until right at the top of the rev range. There's not enough advantage to warrant the extra cost.

It may be beneficial to buy a RHD 80 series in Canada that was imported into Canada and part it out.

It's a big commitment to do a swap into an older 60 series, must be a nice one..

Thank you for all of the responses. I may have found a 1HD-T and am pursuing that now. I did not discount the 1HZ comments. That would likely be a very reliable engine but I will only be able to do this once and am afraid that if I do the HZ that I'll always have a "what if" lingering in the back of my mind.

The potential donor will come with a transmission so the discussion is to pull the H55 and go with the HDT transmission.

The HDT will also come with the full time 4wd transfer case. Is there a work around to make this part time 4wd? The 60 obviously has manual locking hubs but for a variety of reasons I'd like to keep the front driveline from spinning on pavement where it will spend 99% of its life.

Thanks again everyone. Really appreciate your insight.

You can make a HF2A full time case part time, requires the back half of the case to come off and a spool to be installed instead of the centre diff, then the CDL button engages the front axle.

1HZ- excellent motor, will go forever if maintained properly, which most are, decent on fuel, pretty high price though being as they dont break too often

1HZ w/ aftermarket turbo- decent motor, decent power can be achieved but at quite a cost..., will happily push a cruiser on 35's at 100kmh but dont mind drinking a bit of fuel

1HDT- easily the best diesel 4wd motor ever. high purchase price, costs quite a bit to get some power out of them, expensive when they break though.

If you can get/afford the 1 HDT, go for it. I couldn't so drove to Ontario bought a 1 HZ with a H55 and a broken cylinder ring for 2K. Brought it back, had it and the H55 rebuilt for about 10K by a great mechanic, sparing really no expense.

I am usually the slowest guy on the road, especially if when dealing with mountain passes or even big hills but will easily keep 65 on most highways. After years of driving with the 3FE, it totally changes the feel of the truck in the best way and I consider the 21-22 miles per gallon a huge improvement over the 10-12 of the 3 FE.

In the spring, the turbo goes in.

I drove my 1HZ powered 77 Series normally aspirated for several months and will readily admit it was a slug. After installing a Garrett turbo and Intercooler I can now run with the big dogs. (Well at least the smaller of the big dogs) :)

1HDT- easily the best diesel 4wd motor ever. high purchase price, costs quite a bit to get some power out of them, expensive when they break though.

So id have to say that statement doesn't agree with itself. I do agree that they are powerful well loved engines that have some major design issues and are expensive to fix. It takes a bit more im thinking to be the best 4wd engine ever. Keep in mind too that finding mechanics to work on them that have even heard of these engines in the States is not easy. Its not Australia. If you decide to buy one.... better buy two just in case.
g

If you are looking for the most straightforward setup possible in a 60 diesel conversion which will be factory-like, here is my $0.02 and reasoning.

• 1HD-T - Motor mounts are available from Valley Hybrids, already has the turbo and plenty of aftermarket parts available to up the HP, should you wish.
  • H55F - this transmission came in the 60 series, and has a bellhousing available to fit the 1HD-T, PN 31111-60230.
  • Splitcase - also part of the 60 series, and bolts onto the H55F. May be able to use the one currently in your truck.

Path of least resistance for not having to hack too much. No change needed to the cross-member, no change to the driveshafts, etc. I am essentially running this combo (with the -FT motor) in my 45, and agree with all the above who suggested the H151 will just give you headaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom