1HDT Oil Options in the US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

I'm getting ready to start up my 1HDT swap after an engine refresh and am unsure of what oil is the most appropriate in the US. BEBs were replaced etc so I'd like two give them the best chance at a long-isn life. Lol.

I've read some pretty old threads (most 10yrs old or more) on here and have heard a bunch of opinions from Aussies and Europeans (as markets of origin for these trucks). I know these things were designed for an oil using calcium based detergents.

Any updates on what to use? Are we rolling Full Synth? Rotella, Amsoil, Delo, Royal Purple? 15w-40 or 20w-50? Change interval 5000mi, 7000mi?

I'm running Rotella T6, I believe it's 5w40, on 10K km oil changes as recommended by Blackstone Labs following a few used oil analysis tests.

That being said, if the engine has been refreshed I'd run whatever oil for a few hundred kms and do an early oil change just to get any crap out of there from sitting/engine work.

@CaptBeardilocks , in the USA, I’d go full synthetic diesel Rotella, its only $18 per gallon at Walmart when it’s on sale. Hard to beat that for value. It’s always under $25/gallon when it isn’t on sale.

I’ve run Rotella synth & semi-synth in various vehicles for years. I’m usually an “oil is oil” kinda guy (to a degree at least). But I these Japanese diesels seem to be pickier.

@CaptBeardilocks , Well, we do have different motors, but both are Toyota. I tend to agree with you, if oil meets the spec, oil is oil. I recommendEd Fully Syn Rotella, based on “value“ in the USA. When I lived in Latin America I ran conventional because the price did not justify $12 -15 per quart for Synthetic. That’s just me though. My rig runs just fine with Syn Rotella and I’ll continue to use it, until Syn Mobil 1 is cheaper.

There is a reason Trucking Fleets and Airplanes use Fully Synthetic, it is just better.

Royal Purple seems to be a marketing gimic directed at the Fast & Furious crowd. I imagine it will work just fine, but price is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Don't run a synthetic for ~10,000 km in my opinion. You want the rings to seat properly.

Don't run a synthetic for ~10,000 km in my opinion. You want the rings to seat properly.
Engine was a refresh not a rebuild. Did BEBs but not pistons/rings. So I'm no worries there.

@CaptBeardilocks , Well, we do have different motors, but both are Toyota. I tend to agree with you, if oil meets the spec, oil is oil. I recommendEd Fully Syn Rotella, based on “value“ in the USA. When I lived in Latin America I ran conventional because the price did not justify $12 -15 per quart for Synthetic. That’s just me though. My rig runs just fine with Syn Rotella and I’ll continue to use it, until Syn Mobil 1 is cheaper.

There is a reason Trucking Fleets and Airplanes use Fully Synthetic, it is just better.

Royal Purple seems to be a marketing gimic directed at the Fast & Furious crowd. I imagine it will work just fine, but price is ridiculous.

While I don't like over spend on anything, I'll happily pay up on oil if it extends time btw changes or extends the time btw rebuilds on the motor. I know these HDTs like to eat certain metal parts and there's some muttering that it's partially due to the Japanese spec oils they were designed for which utilized calcium based detergents. But there seems to be more speculation than evidence on that.

personally i really just think it was a bad batch of bearings.

people can overthink a lot of stuff. we all pretty much use a 15/40 semi synth over here, we dont really see temps below -10c though. changes every 5000 miles.

I doubt it , it went on for a long time . Although there were upgrades there were still owners of 1HD FTEs (and 1HD FT) complaining about BEB wearing out. The numbers were much smaller than 1HD T owners. I read about a 1HD FTE owner who had delamination at least twice by 300000klms. The Toyota mechanic confided with him that he was not the only one. You may find the posts on the exploroz forum.

people can overthink a lot of stuff. we all pretty much use a 15/40 semi synth over here, we dont really see temps below -10c though. changes every 5000 miles.

Seen a number of folk with replacement bearings that have shown delamination (and some that are okay) and am hoping with enough participation over the years this thread may help. Will only build data if its added to though.

As for oils, I've been partial to the Rotella line (either 5/40 synth or 15/40 dino).

For any Canadians reading, it sure looks like the recent reformulation of the Canadian Tire house brand oil is made by Shell and the new formulation meets a lot of the same specs as the Rotella equivalent. The regular "on sale" price for bucket is good.

hth's
gb

Rotella 15w-40

change every 5000km

For my 12 years of ownership, I ran 10W30 Shell Rotella in summer and 5W40 Chevron Delo in winter (it can get really cold up here!). I NEVER had any problems and the engine was strong as can be. I used to change the oil every 5000km (3000 miles) sharp. More importantly, I used original Toyota oil filters in every oil change. (I bought them by the case)
This oil chart is from the 1HDT manual.

1619030303559.jpeg

For my 12 years of ownership, I ran 10W30 Shell Rotella in summer and 5W40 Chevron Delo in winter (it can get really cold up here!). I NEVER had any problems and the engine was strong as can be. I used to change the oil every 5000km (3000 miles) sharp. More importantly, I used original Toyota oil filters in every oil change. (I bought them by the case)
This oil chart is from the 1HDT manual.

View attachment 2651961
This chart is for conventional oils. Surely it should be updated for modern synthetics. AMSOIL Deisel Oils are up to 2X OEM intervals - No less than one year regardless of mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom