1HDT fuel filter change interval (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn't realize that the factory filter was such a large particle size

Old post but I think you could probably get these in various micron ratings. They are used on a wide variety of Japanese diesels

Bump - I'm retrofitting the hdj81 fuel filter heater, will it be compatible with the Racor filter?

Do you have the appropriate bits and pieces? My understanding is that the heater fits onto a special filter head with a recess for the heater

Bit of a thread revival, but simple question.

My HDJ81 has the factory only filter. I change it at every second oil change - so every 10-12,000 k.

I have found a second fuel filter head in my stash of parts, and was wondering if there's anything to be gained from running 2 factory filters? Would there being more filter media help anything? Or would one just clog before the other?

Or am I better of with a 30 micron racor or donaldson before the factory filter?

Cheers.

Yeah, I wouldn't run two of the Toyota ones in line. The racor is a good option and you can go 10 or i believe 2 micron as well and be in good shape.do you have a boost/lift pump in line as well?

Yeah, I wouldn't run two of the Toyota ones in line. The racor is a good option and you can go 10 or i believe 2 micron as well and be in good shape.do you have a boost/lift pump in line as well?

Awesome, this is what I what I was thinking. No inline lift pump, but that's coming.

I didn't realize that the factory filter was such a large particle size
Toyota designed it that way. If you want just retrofit a fass fuel system with a regulator down to 4-6psi. Abit Overkill but why not.

Toyota designed it that way. If you want just retrofit a fass fuel system with a regulator down to 4-6psi. Abit Overkill but why not.
I would just carry a walbro and a spare. No use going that level of overkill when a Racor and Walbro are $200 all in off eBay. Unless you really want to go overkill :)

I change my stock fuel filter every year, €15.00 job done! I am all for modifications that make sense, but I am not a lover of overkill, less is more comes to mind here.

For example the OE air filter is designed to be washable, perhaps 10 times? But I only do it three or four times before replacing, when off road I take a washed and ready spare with me, the dust here is like fine talcum powder. My point being that this facility more than allows for the cost of a yearly fuel filter change.

Where you purchase your fuel should also be taken into account and dictate when you change your fuel filter.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
has anyone fitted a fuel filter gauge so you know when to change it?

perhaps something like this https://www.parker.com/static_content/parkerimages/Racor/7700 (11-1676E Vacuum Gage).pdf

Whilst I am all in favour of modifications that benefit the engine, and of course the owner, a fuel filter gauge is IMO a fruitless exercise.

Change the filter once a year, this will allow for any crappy fuel you happen to have purchased, if I was to alter my opinion on that recommendation, then it would be to those owners using bio fuel of a mix of the same. Bio has a really good cleansing action however, usage in the early days can overwhelm the stock filter, so change after the first three months of bio use, the next change being six months and then yearly.

As an aside, remember the diesel fuel sold these days is pretty much bereft of the amount sulphur (lubricant) it had many years ago.

Regards

Dave

Whilst I am all in favour of modifications that benefit the engine, and of course the owner, a fuel filter gauge is IMO a fruitless exercise.

Change the filter once a year, this will allow for any crappy fuel you happen to have purchased, if I was to alter my opinion on that recommendation, then it would be to those owners using bio fuel of a mix of the same. Bio has a really good cleansing action however, usage in the early days can overwhelm the stock filter, so change after the first three months of bio use, the next change being six months and then yearly.

As an aside, remember the diesel fuel sold these days is pretty much bereft of the amount sulphur (lubricant) it had many years ago.

Regards

Dave
Sure change the filter once a year. But it’s just a guessing game at that point. It’s nice to know the data. Filters are expensive. And it would be nice to know if you need to change it earlier if you had to. I always carry a spare filter with me just in case.

Sure change the filter once a year. But it’s just a guessing game at that point. It’s nice to know the data. Filters are expensive. And it would be nice to know if you need to change it earlier if you had to. I always carry a spare filter with me just in case.
With respect, if you consider a fuel filter expensive then perhaps you have purchased the wrong vehicle? Sounds like I am being an arse, but read on.

Re knowing the data, take on board the following and actual fact, we know water is not great for diesels but unless you regularly visit third world countries where fuel quality is very poor with high water content being very common, and given there is a dashboard indicator for this and a drain on the filter that area is covered.

On the other hand, any data you acquire from your dirty fuel filter monitor would be of little use if any at all. If you feel your fuel filter may be become blocked within a year or even two, then your buying your fuel from a guy standing at the side of the road selling it from rusty cans. More relevant is the fitment of a gauge would have introduced another possible point for air to enter the system. A spare fuel filter being carried is a good thing and I fully agree with that way of thinking, when off road a spare filter is part of my kit, it is ready connected to a spare filter head, not so much the concerns for a blocked filter, more because the manual pump rubber diaphragm is more likely to fail without warning.

In general diesel fuel filters are changed every three years, modern diesel vehicles often four or five years before being changed despite the injectors having smaller and more precise spray patterns.

I am a belts and braces mechanic, in fact I would accept being called 'Mr picky' for example, my 80 had been standing for considerable time having lost my driving privileges, I had used an antibac in the fuel tank and the car has been started and used a few times (20 miles in 22 months), on the country tracks around my home with no issue. Other than an AC leak and failed alternator when my 80 was put back on the road just four weeks ago when my licence was returned, I will tomorrow morning be removing the centre set of seats and remove the access panel in the fuel tank and clean the fuel pick up tank filter, I will also syphon off a small amount of fuel from the bottom of the tank to clear out any debris inside the enclosed area where the fuel pick up is, I will also be fitting a new filter under the bonnet.

I have often pointed out that vehicles rarely breakdown outside your house on a nice Sunday morning, and of course the well stocked and knowledgeable staff at the Toyota dealership is a mere ten minutes walk down the road.

Preventative maintenance rocks.......period!

Regards

Dave

With respect, if you consider a fuel filter expensive then perhaps you have purchased the wrong vehicle? Sounds like I am being an arse, but read on.

Re knowing the data, take on board the following and actual fact, we know water is not great for diesels but unless you regularly visit third world countries where fuel quality is very poor with high water content being very common, and given there is a dashboard indicator for this and a drain on the filter that area is covered.

On the other hand, any data you acquire from your dirty fuel filter monitor would be of little use if any at all. If you feel your fuel filter may be become blocked within a year or even two, then your buying your fuel from a guy standing at the side of the road selling it from rusty cans. More relevant is the fitment of a gauge would have introduced another possible point for air to enter the system. A spare fuel filter being carried is a good thing and I fully agree with that way of thinking, when off road a spare filter is part of my kit, it is ready connected to a spare filter head, not so much the concerns for a blocked filter, more because the manual pump rubber diaphragm is more likely to fail without warning.

In general diesel fuel filters are changed every three years, modern diesel vehicles often four or five years before being changed despite the injectors having smaller and more precise spray patterns.

I am a belts and braces mechanic, in fact I would accept being called 'Mr picky' for example, my 80 had been standing for considerable time having lost my driving privileges, I had used an antibac in the fuel tank and the car has been started and used a few times (20 miles in 22 months), on the country tracks around my home with no issue. Other than an AC leak and failed alternator when my 80 was put back on the road just four weeks ago when my licence was returned, I will tomorrow morning be removing the centre set of seats and remove the access panel in the fuel tank and clean the fuel pick up tank filter, I will also syphon off a small amount of fuel from the bottom of the tank to clear out any debris inside the enclosed area where the fuel pick up is, I will also be fitting a new filter under the bonnet.

I have often pointed out that vehicles rarely breakdown outside your house on a nice Sunday morning, and of course the well stocked and knowledgeable staff at the Toyota dealership is a mere ten minutes walk down the road.

Preventative maintenance rocks.......period!

Regards

Dave
I like data and I already do preventative maintenance. Nothing wrong with wanting both. Each to there own opinion.

And a big FU to you. I buy filters by the case you saying I have the purchased the wrong vehicle.

“This is my 80. There are many others out there but this one is mine”

I change mine every other oil change. Once a year or a little more frequently. Carrying a spare in the truck is wise.

I changed all filters shortly after buying a new to me vehicle.
Diesels, I've run 3+ years on a fresh filter with no issues. Undo the drain at the bottom and drop some fuel and see what comes out.
Never had any indication they need to be changed more frequently for my use, which is mostly city with the occasional touring around regional/ country areas, or wheeling.
Most the time I'm able to fuel up in areas where fuel is gonna be turned over fairly quickly in servo tanks.

The filters are designed so you can drain/dump the contents of the filter if it has accumulated water and continue your journey.

I've never bothered to carry a spare. If I were doing an extended trip into remote areas where fuel quality is questionable then it would maybe be warranted.

In regards to filters being expensive, how much are you paying buying by the case?
How much is the filter gauge?
How many filters can you buy for the cost of the gauge?

Ultimately, up to you to decide if the filters are expensive or not, and if the gauge has any real benefit to justify the cost.

Edit: auto edit!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom