1HDT FT crank case filling up with diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Nostradamus I don’t know what the storms kick up on the NW coast of the country; the east coast & Gulf coast hurricanes are no joke. You can ride out a hurricane depending on your proximity to the storm and water/coast. The heavy rain/wind of a category 4 hurricane can easily rip a house to pieces.

@joekatana Do you think a pre-cleaner hat would have been enough to keep out the rain? Crazy to think the rain was blowing sideways to the extent a snorkel and a roof wasn’t enough protection.

When one of the storms was hoosing down I was working in the shop and the cruiser was parked in front of the shop under a 18 ft awning and water was passing the cruiser and blowing another 15ft in to the shop before I closed the doors , heavy rain and strong winds are never a good combination. I still haven't seen any proof of it entering trough the snorkel but I have no other explanation , I have that big scoop opening in my cruiser so enormous amounts of water passed trough there direct on to the engine also but I am flabbergasted as to how that rain water found it's way in to the turbo inlet ?

@Nostradamus I don’t know what the storms kick up on the NW coast of the country; the east coast & Gulf coast hurricanes are no joke. You can ride out a hurricane depending on your proximity to the storm and water/coast. The heavy rain/wind of a category 4 hurricane can easily rip a house to pieces.

@joekatana Do you think a pre-cleaner hat would have been enough to keep out the rain? Crazy to think the rain was blowing sideways to the extent a snorkel and a roof wasn’t enough protection.
Yeah. I wasn't too sure how windy it was during the most recent hurricane down there. I grew up in Florida, so totally understand what a mess hurricanes can make. Rain can certainly come at you sideways for hours.

I just pulled the injectors and turned the engine over by hand a few times , I might be lucky this time . Gonna send the injectors out for rebuild , I would like to do a compression test but haven't found a place where they sell the adaptor for the FT engines.

Snap-On M3585 with a bit of modifications works.

Fawking dorkel! I hope it isn't too badly damaged, Joe.

How'd this turn out?

Weirdly enough it turned out to be rainwater from the pounding storms that entered the engine trough the turbo ( hose clamp that connects turbo intake with airbox was loose) , drained everything pulled the injectors and had them rebuild and it's running fine now , got a bit more smoke at a cold start so I probably am gonna rebuild or replace the turbo soon , want to do a compression test also if I can get my hands on a compression tester for the FT.

Just returned from a 500 mile trip to the Lone Star Cruiser Roundup hauling a trailer with my HZJ73 crawler . Topped off all the fluids before I left and an happy to still see them at the exact same level after returning driving fighting tx headwinds with a heavy load on the trailer.
To celebrate I put one of @bottombracket 1HDTFT decals on the engine , thanks again buddy 🍻

IMG_2800.JPG
IMG_2780.JPG
EC6117F1-E274-4B23-A187-8BC5A5B1EC82.jpeg

Last edited:
Time for a decal field test. Drive that awesome rig and let’s make sure those stickers are up to the task!

Now make some for my 1HZ-T!!

Last edited:
Did a compression test today , special thanks to a good friend and Mud member who let me borrow his tester, not gonna mention you by name unless you want me to ;) .

The result was not great as it turns out that number 5 is only running on 140 psi.

Ever since I started up this FT for the first time it had a rough idle and strange vibration that I had not seen on any of the other Ft's I have owned and talking to some other cruiser heads some mentioned that this could be bad valve adjustment so while I was in there I set the valves but the engine runs still the same so I guess that number 5 compression issue has been going on for a longer time and was probably why this engine was sold in the first place , this is supposed to be a lower miles JDM spec engine but I will rebuild it and put it later in a 73 and sell the troopy next year with either a healthy 1HZ or 1HDT that I have in Europe .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom