1HDT FT crank case filling up with diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joekatana

GOLD Star
Threads
Recently I installed a used 1HDT FT engine in my troopy that I bought from another Mud member who bought it from another Mud member so this engine has passed a few hands without being used but some maintenance was done to it like new timing belt and waterpump , new oil pan and cleaned everything up . As far as I know injectors or IP where left alone and after putting maybe a 1000 miles on it I started it up this afternoon and it shut off again inmediatly , tried to crank it again but felt resistance and new something was wrong . I first thought a broken timing belt but that turned out to be ok . Checked the oil level and it was up way high , first gallon I drained was clear as water but since coolant is clean and correct level I assume this is Diesel . Anyone else experienced this on a FT ? Wonder how diesel can get in to the engine oil ?

Tried to put a wrench on the crank and turn it but no luck , I hope it didn't hydrolock and bend some valves or worse.

Its a common problem with many diesel engines. I agree with Onur.

X2 on what @Onur said, or, does the Injector return line run under the rocker cover on the FT? If so, could be something not sealing there

X2 on what @Onur said, or, does the Injector return line run under the rocker cover on the FT? If so, could be something not sealing there

There might be something to this as when I left it parked for a few days it would have a rough idle in the beginning kinda like what you get with air bubbles in your fuel system , gonna pull the valve cover today and start disassembling further , ordered a slide hammer to pull the injectors so I am waiting on that one to arrive before I can pull the injectors.

Everyone like pics so here goes
595A8017-291E-417A-9F32-6C21734693B8.jpeg

So it looks like I might have proffesionaly destroyed my engine with the help of a 40$ aftermarket snorkel head 🤬

We had some serious storms come by here and about 10 inch of rain in a few days and the cruiser was sitting under a roof but the hood was exposed and the snorkel also .

When I drained the oil I thought there was diesel in it but a quick test proved it to be rain water

I filled a cup with some drained oil and 2 other cups with oil where I added water to one and diesel to the other one.

Clearly looks like the one I added water to and when removing the airhose to the turbo I saw water sitting in the bottom elbow !

1AC81ED6-DEC8-4A47-8675-1BE800BB3908.jpeg
DE2C241A-C1E6-4042-B81D-8476A9B042DD.jpeg
24BBB9E4-36A7-4400-9CDF-EB7C234DCF73.jpeg

Yikes.:frown: How in the world would water get in thru that snorkel configuration?
Tropical storms are passing here and the water hosed on it for days , probably just enough to fill the airbox.

Tropical storms are passing here and the water hosed on it for days , probably just enough to fill the airbox.
That sucks. Given the compression ratio of diesel engines, it probably wouldn't take much water to hydro-lock a cylinder - gotta be only a small volume at TDC. Hopefully it's not too bad and nothing is seriously wrong.

That sucks. Given the compression ratio of diesel engines, it probably wouldn't take much water to hydro-lock a cylinder - gotta be only a small volume at TDC. Hopefully it's not too bad and nothing is seriously wrong.

No idea on the damage until I get the chance to pull the head , it happened right at start up so at very low rpm luckily. Weird thing is that oil found its way to the crankcase also , I wonder if that might have been to the oil return line from the turbo ?

Rather be lucky then good this time , keeping my fingers crossed on what kind of damage I will find

How did the water get into the turbo intake hose? Even when I've had water get into the airbox it just went out the water drain, did this not happen is it blocked.

How did the water get into the turbo intake hose? Even when I've had water get into the airbox it just went out the water drain, did this not happen is it blocked.

No idea as the airbox appeared to be dry on the inside, coolant is still at same level as before so somehow this must be rainwater that found its way in to the engine.

I had this problem on a diesel once. It was an injector.

Got injectors rebuilt and the problem was gone.

Cheers

I was thinking also that it was diesel but it was water in this case , gonna get the injectors rebuild anyways since I need to pull the head.

Any reason why you're jumping straight to removing the head? maybe you've got lucky. I'd remove the glow plugs and turn over the engine to remove any water remaining. Then run a compression/leak down test to see compression is good, and valves are sealing well. If so, you're good to go. Don't know how many miles are on the actual engine but you'll easily get 200,000 miles from a set of OEM injectors on decent fuel.

@Nostradamus I don’t know what the storms kick up on the NW coast of the country; the east coast & Gulf coast hurricanes are no joke. You can ride out a hurricane depending on your proximity to the storm and water/coast. The heavy rain/wind of a category 4 hurricane can easily rip a house to pieces.

@joekatana Do you think a pre-cleaner hat would have been enough to keep out the rain? Crazy to think the rain was blowing sideways to the extent a snorkel and a roof wasn’t enough protection.

Any reason why you're jumping straight to removing the head? maybe you've got lucky. I'd remove the glow plugs and turn over the engine to remove any water remaining. Then run a compression/leak down test to see compression is good, and valves are sealing well. If so, you're good to go. Don't know how many miles are on the actual engine but you'll easily get 200,000 miles from a set of OEM injectors on decent fuel.

I just pulled the injectors and turned the engine over by hand a few times , I might be lucky this time . Gonna send the injectors out for rebuild , I would like to do a compression test but haven't found a place where they sell the adaptor for the FT engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom