1HD-T rebuild and transplant into HZJ 105 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everybody,

As I am planning to show a diesel thread rather than a J10 engine swap, I finally decided to post this here, into the diesel tech section, rather than the 100 series section.
So, it all started almost two years ago when I got my hands on this:

thumb_IMG_4764_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_4765_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_4777_1024.jpg

This happened almost by accident, I was browsing into an Austrian classifieds website and bumped into it.
Called the seller, jumped into my car and drove to Innsbruck. And there it was, a genuine HZJ 105, original front solid axle and 1HZ engine. The owner had it since new, from 2004.
For Europe a registered 105 is such a rare find, I could not believe I got it. The legislation in Europe does not allow import of used cars that have a lower emission rate than EURO 5. These are more or less cars produced after 2012-2013. For new cars is even tougher, they must be at least EURO 6 compliant. For instance you cannot import anymore a used Landcruiser 200 series, it will not pass the emission regulation.
Anyway, i took it back home to Bucharest and felt irremediably for it.
The car was a GCC import back in 2004, and had a lot of features for driving in a warm climate. For instance, no de-foging for the rear windows. Or oversized air-conditioning which is ok for the hot summers we have.

It is slightly bigger than her mother, the J8:

thumb_IMG_4776_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4778_1024.jpg

Last edited:
So, at that moment I decided to do nothing. I used it for more than one year the way it was.
thumb_IMG_5887_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_5886_1024.jpg

Several weeks later I reached it's limits on the standard 235 85R16 tires...
thumb_IMG_5864_1024.jpg

I was here all alone, suspended on the diff, and no tree around me. Anyway, I did not had a winch, so there could have been hundreds of trees around. I took a long walk to the nearest village and 4 hours later I came back with a tractor.

I decided it was time to go for bigger tires. I got these rims:
thumb_IMG_6671_1024.jpg

And put 285 75R16 BFG MT's on them.

And had some more trips...
thumb_IMG_2639_1024.jpg

Beside reaching some very nice places, otherwise it was terrible. With the new tires I had enough clearance, but the "horses" were gone. There was a significant loss of power and torque. I could barely reach 110 km/h and going up hill was not anymore that easy.
I had to make a choice, either a more powerful engine or shorter diff gears. I already had 4.3 diffs, so I decided to explore the possibility to install a turbocharger on my 1HZ.
At that time I was "lurking" here on MUD without having an account, just reading and reading everything that was written about installing a turbocharger on the 1HZ. I finally decided NOT to do it.
The main "con" was that the 1HZ is a IDI engine with a very high compression ratio. I guess it is 22:1 or so. It is very sensitive to wrong timing, and even with a low supercharging pressure, you may heat it up irremediably fast.
I also had a friend who had installed a turbocharger on his almost new 1HZ and 5.000 km later the engine was gone.
So, the plan was to get a 1HD-T engine and install it. Why a 1HD-T instead of a 1HD-FT or FTE: because it will fit 100% with the original electric harness, no need for ECU's and doing no mess in the engine bay.
I am personally a fan of the clean, original condition, therefore this was quite an easy decision.

Looking forward to it

I found a 1HD-T engine in a parting out shop. It was not in such a good condition, all leaked out and presumably overheated, but in my country you do not have many choices for 1HD-T engines. In fact it was the only one available at that time.
So, I brought it to my garage and dismantled it until the last nut and bolt.

I find something remarkable about this engine type, please take a look at the following pic:
thumb_IMG_9418_1024.jpg

As I mentioned before, this engine was overheated, so the engine block had some marks (small ditches) on it. I had to slightly rectify the plane surface of the engine block. But inside the cylinders I had to do nothing! You may actually see the original honing marks of the factory. The engine was coming off a UK vehicle who allegedly had 145.000 miles on the clock.

The pump was leaking, so it was off to a diesel repair shop.
thumb_IMG_1348_1024.jpg

The rest of the engine parts were covered with love :); And fresh anti-rust paint;
thumb_IMG_9316_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9308_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9309_1024.jpg

Last edited:
The 1HD-T was still apart, so reassembling it was next. As I mentioned before, the engine block was rectified by 0.1 mm, so a new thicker head gasket was installed.

thumb_IMG_9414_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9415_1024.jpg

No need for new pistons, the old ones were just fine. I just exchanged the piston rings.
thumb_IMG_9416_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9417_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9419_1024.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! Is that oil pan suitable for the 105 series? I thought the shape of the one you have was off a Coaster engine.

Nice work! Is that oil pan suitable for the 105 series? I thought the shape of the one you have was off a Coaster engine.
The oil pan is the original HDJ80 part. It is identical with the one of the 1HZ installed in the 105.

Still assembling the engine, the 4.2 it's a lot of engine...:D

thumb_IMG_9420_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_9422_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9423_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9425_1024.jpg

And towards the engine bay...
thumb_IMG_9429_1024.jpg

We opted to install the engine head after installing the engine block, for two reasons:
1. The full engine is too heavy for our crane.
2. The full engine is too tall for our crane.
When we dismantled the 1HZ, we had to use the elevator, and we barely made it over the front radiator support. In fact we had to deflate the front tires, so that the engine would come out.

Which gearbox are you using? Sorry if I missed it.

Another excellent project! Thanks for providing all of this eye candy. Nice work!

Well, thanks for your appreciation !!!
@GTSSportCoupe , now you see why my other TOY that you asked me about, from the other topic in J7 section is parked in my garage.
@roscoFJ73 , regarding the gear box - I was coming to that. My original plan was to keep the original HZJ 105 gear box. However this is not an "H" series, it is in fact an "R" series. The HZJ 105 manual gearbox with part time 4X4 transmission is the R151F. This means the 275 mm clutch and the weaker gear box. For the original setting of the 1HD-T, that would be almost enough, but....; I will come later on to that. When I will tell you about that :D:
thumb_IMG_0371_1024.jpg

Nice work! Lots of great details being carried out.

Very nice work. Congrats on acquiring the ultimate wagon ever built and then the only logical major upgrade (multivalve aside ;)) - you’ll end up with a vehicle for life and completely unbeatable. What model Gturbo is that? Any injector/pump work? Intercooler?

Funny about the lack of rear windscreen Demister - 60 series with bar doors had them here, as do gxl 105s. I would have assumed standard 105d did too

Thanks everybody for the appreciations!

Very nice work. Congrats on acquiring the ultimate wagon ever built and then the only logical major upgrade (multivalve aside ;)) - you’ll end up with a vehicle for life and completely unbeatable. What model Gturbo is that? Any injector/pump work? Intercooler?

Funny about the lack of rear windscreen Demister - 60 series with bar doors had them here, as do gxl 105s. I would have assumed standard 105d did too

I'll come later on at the turbo upgrade and the rest, the story about that is too nice to spoil it. :)
So that thing which is drying the rear window is called a de-mister, not a de-fogger? English is not my mother tongue language, and I am lacking some of the correct terms, sorry for that.
The GCC TOY's have specific features for driving in the warm climate, the lack of the demister is one of them. They also do not have a cold start adjuster on the injection pump, the viscous-copling is different, the thermostat opens up at 68*C instead of 76*C, 3KW starter instead of normal 2,5KW, etc.
I saw once a HZJ105 originally produced for Russia, this was a cold spec vehicle. This was something really different, almost every sub-assembly was a "cold spec" item. I especially remember the starter and the alternator, they were completely different items.

As a result of the warm spec thermostat, I remember my car was going really cold in winter. At first I obstructed the radiator grille, but even so it was going cold. The temp needle was just going a little bit above the "C" mark. With the new engine I installed a normal 76*C thermostat, with this the cold functioning was finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom