1HD-T Pushing Coolant to Overflow after HG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bama4door

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Long story short, I bought this truck from a Mud guy this summer. He listed all the issues (which are the same ones it's having) and was very open and honest about it.

History before I bought it:

-short block rebuilt w/ 6 new sleeves/liners, new pistons, bearings, etc about 500 miles ago. Before it was rebuilt, there was a crack in cylinder wall #6 (therefore PO put in new sleeves)
-new OEM 5 notch HG
-reused OEM head bolts

Put back together. Ran fine for first 250 miles, then started building pressure and blowing coolant in overflow. Sold to me as is

History since I've had truck:

-New OEM 5 notch HG
-New OEM head bolts, retorqued to factory spec. 52 ft lbs, then 2 passes of 90*
-Head was pressure checked, magnafluxed and decked, came back with clean bill of health
-New thermostat
-New radiator

I buttoned everything back up last week. Filled the truck with coolant and had a burping funnel connected to the radiator. As soon as I cranked the truck up, bubbles started to come up through the funnel from combustion gases.

I have not done a compression check yet, but the truck runs fine and has plenty of power.

I have been driving it around town in ~20-30 minute intervals. It will fill the overflow tank up to the "Full" line in that time. I've been dumping it back into the radiator after it cools, but obviously something is messed up.

At this point, I am at a lose for what else could be the issue. The short block was just rebuilt w/ new sleeves, head checked out fine, new OEM HG and bolts.

Any ideas from anyone as what to do next? I will compression check it this weekend as well.

queen-of-hearts-helena-bonham-carter.gif

I think the head will have to come off. Was the top of the block checked? Possibly some obstruction in the water jacket. Maybe point one of those laser thermometers at the engine ,see if you can find a hot spot.
I know when I have had engines rebuilt they can run pretty hot for the first few hundred klms. Is there a proper temperature gauge on the engine?

I think the head will have to come off. Was the top of the block checked? Possibly some obstruction in the water jacket. Maybe point one of those laser thermometers at the engine ,see if you can find a hot spot.
I know when I have had engines rebuilt they can run pretty hot for the first few hundred klms. Is there a proper temperature gauge on the engine?
I didn't check the top of the block with a straight edge. Shame on me I guess, but just hard to believe it could have warped in 500 miles after a full rebuild.

I will grab a temp gun and see if I can find any irregularities, good suggestion.

Would a flush of the block (with head on) remove block drain plug, be worth doing? Somehow add compressed air to the flush to try and get out any blockage?

Shame on me I guess, but just hard to believe it could have warped in 500 miles after a full rebuild.
I was wondering if the problem was there before when the other owner had it.
With the temp gun, remember diesels have more localised heat around the combustion chamber and more cold spots. Petrol engines tend to heat more evenly. But the overall temps averaged out were about the same.
There were some videos on youtube of the entire engine viewed through an infra red camera
Would a flush of the block (with head on) remove block drain plug, be worth doing? Somehow add compressed air to the flush to try and get out any blockage?
I would take the top radiator hose and observe the flow. If there was an obstruction, its unlikely it is blocking the water jacket over a large area. The coolant would be flowing around it.

Apparently there are several folks with similar issues. I posted my symptoms (very similar to yours) and got similarly scary responses (looking at you @roscoFJ73 !) correctly pointing out how I should have checked the block surface more carefully before reinstalling the head.

Link to that thread here in case it helps. I decided to work on other projects so haven't solved it and can't offer much help. Hoping someone dreams up an answer that doesn't involve me removing the head again.

Must have been severely overheated in an earlier life to have a cracked block and need sleeves. May need a new short block...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom