1HD-T power steering pump (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The power steering pump in my HDJ81 has been weeping since i put it on the road a year ago, and its slowly turned into a leak. My question is has anyone had this problem and if so know the costs involved in re-sealing/repairing? Looks to be a gear drivin' setup, so chances of north american replacement look slim.

The power steering pump in my HDJ81 has been weeping since i put it on the road a year ago, and its slowly turned into a leak. My question is has anyone had this problem and if so know the costs involved in re-sealing/repairing? Looks to be a gear drivin' setup, so chances of north american replacement look slim.

I had mine rebuit in australia for about $250 or so inc a pressure test and you can get them from aussie ebay for about $440 sometimes.
There are kits available,I think they about $80,but could be a lot less.

Its highly likely it is the O ring where the metal tube from the reservoir plugs into the pump underneath.http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/diag_1riIftC.png

If its black oil ,it could be the large seal where the pump bolts into the timing cover.
Both of these jobs are easy DIY.
You can remove the pump without draining the engine oil.

If its not making groaning noises ,then you only need to do the seals/O ring
They use the same pump as the 1HZ.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/diag_2pEbJb.png

Thanks, thats good to know ..... ill check the tube o-ring first, that would be nice and easy. I have a tendency to go after the worst possible senereo so it would be great if this was the prob.

Mine also has a slow leak, I have just learned to live with it. I need to fill it up every 2 months or so. the cheapest one that i found to replace it was a used one for 300 buck and that buys allot to oil.

cheers

Wow guys, thanks for all the responses. Rosco that is an excellent looking deal i think thats the route i will take as it looks to have all the seals. Nothing worse than guessing and winding up needing that one o ring you didn't order!

Wow guys, thanks for all the responses. Rosco that is an excellent looking deal i think thats the route i will take as it looks to have all the seals. Nothing worse than guessing and winding up needing that one o ring you didn't order!

IMO you are better off using everything in the kit and be done with it. If one seal or O ring is perished,then the others wont be far behind

Just change the o ring (or seal it with UltraBlue) if its the suction pipe leaking. Rebuild it when your P.Steer fluid turns black.

Matt

My pump groans in the morning when it is "cold" (ie: under 75 degrees F, 25 degrees C)
but stops groaning within minutes.

Rebuild time?
Change fluid?

Advice?

Somtimes the PS additives will fix this,Ive used the Lucas brand and its ok,but your fluid is probably toast also.

I ended up order in the above mentioned kit that comes with all "o" ring seals, the main shaft and input bearing. I considered not bothering with the shaft but in past experiences i have seen groves put into shafts from seals, so figured since the unit would be taken apart i may as well be prepared. On ebay it was posted for 125AUZ requiring a ride from Australia= BLING-BLING, so i turned to John Hamelton at Rocky Mountain Imports. He did deliver, 150CAD at the door. I haven't received it yet as he just ordered it but ill post a reply on arrival and install. Apparently they are all OEM parts so as far as im concerned this is a more than fair price.

ok just in the process of rebuilding my power steer pump and bloody toyota wanted $60 for the shaft bearing so i said you can keep the bearing got one from cbc for $8 how do they justify $52 difference.

My pump groans in the morning when it is "cold" (ie: under 75 degrees F, 25 degrees C)
but stops groaning within minutes.

Rebuild time?
Change fluid?

Advice?

The rebuild kit that Toyota offer here are only a few seals .. IMOP it would not do anything with the groaning.. if it's me .. I will do a fluid change and that's it ..

just did a power steering pump rebuild myself. quite a simple but messy job. replaced the seals with OEM. Toyota sells it for $50+. and you are right, it only includes 3 big o-rings, a shaft seal, 2 small o-rings and the 2 c-clips. in my rebuild, i took extra care with the vanes. i didnt pull them out individually.
2.jpg
3.jpg

I've done this rebuild using a similar kit however what they don't include is the second bearing that's inside the vane rotor. It's a small needle bearing and when I pulled my pump apart and separated the shaft from the rotor some of those needle rollers were snapped in half and the shaft, thankfully, kept it inside the bearing housing. I cannot remember the part number but it will be stamped onto the bearing. Might be some peace of mind to change that out too, since you'll have the pump apart.

RADD Cruisers sells a rebuild kit at a reasonable price which is what I used.

RADD has the kit and the additional bearing that Gord mentioned on their website but are sold out...I've found an OEM pump online on partsdeal for about $270...might just get that and rebuild mine eventually as a spare...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom