1HD-T & H151F Swap: What Should I Refresh While They're Out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@CaptBeardilocks If you've got the whole engine and transmission out prepping for your swap, you might as well just do it once and refresh everything. Every seal, gasket and tube on that engine is 30 year old, regardless of the miles it's seen.

I don't like fooling with stuff twice. I did this (tore it down to the long block and rebuilt/replaced everything) during my 1HD-FT swap and I've had zero leaks and issues since, 60K+ miles later. Every single part number that i used during my swap is recorded in the build thread I did. Granted, some are different on the 1HD-T but many interchange.

Take the time to read the build that @CycloSteve and I did at basically the same time on our respective trucks as it'll answer just about every question you currently have and those you haven't thought of yet. I wish the swap information had been available when I went down this path several years ago.

I recently swapped a 1HDT for my 1HZ.

I replaced almost all soft rubber hoses whether fuel lines or vacuum.
Timing belt/tensioner pulley/etc.
Replace water pump! You dont know the condition of the current one.
Rear main seal.
Pilot bearing
The hose from the turbo to the oil pan.
May want to redo the oil pan gasket but not terrible to do after it's installed.
Any part you remove, go ahead and get new gaskets for.

*Dont forget to pull the hard fuel line off the firewall of the HDJ80.

1) Anyone have the part number for the hard line by the water pump?

B) Does anyone know if the turbo oil lines etc are the same for the GTurbo set-up?

4) What is the consensus on BEBs? Are we doing Toyota OEM now? Or is there a better option?

Thanks!

1) Anyone have the part number for the hard line by the water pump?

Is this the one that goes across the front of the engine with 2 mounts? If it is and it is also the same as the HDFT part number, I may have an extra.

B) Does anyone know if the turbo oil lines etc are the same for the GTurbo set-up?

They are the same. Just finished my install so I know firsthand.

4) What is the consensus on BEBs? Are we doing Toyota OEM now? Or is there a better option?
There is an aftermarket option that’s very high quality. The Canadian guys will have to chime in here for you. I can’t remember where I got mine from as it was 12 years ago. :)

Thanks!

Screenshot_20200711-165604~2.png

I think Taiho BEB bearings are the go to, but not 100% certain.
Taiho will narrow down the search if you want to check here

I needed up ordering Taihos. I did a lot of research and there seemed to be quite a bit of back and forth between them and ACL with very strong opinions on both sides.

I also put in a huge parts order but Dubai said the two-bolt pipe was unavailable. So I'm still on the hunt for that one.

Hey @Workhorse is the one pictured above the one you have a spare of?

I believe so. Mine is for an HDFT and I’m not sure it crosses over. I’m out of town but will check once I’m home.

What's everyone's opinion on the injectors @ 200k km? Run them until they act up? Or should I send them out for rebuild while I'm working on the rest of the engine and avoid the down time down the road (if that ever happens)?

What's everyone's opinion on the injectors @ 200k km? Run them until they act up? Or should I send them out for rebuild while I'm working on the rest of the engine and avoid the down time down the road (if that ever happens)?
If you have the T case out. Replace the seal and bearings. Mine has a slow leak.

Also, for the GTurbo, the coolant and oil lines all fit.
I bought all new from Amayama and PartSouq.

Also, recommend bead blasting the manifold and ceramic coating if you can.

Add the EGT probe to the manifold while you are at it.

I'd have them flow tested and rebuilt if needed.
Find a shop who knows how to rebuild 2 stage injectors.

Also, recommend bead blasting the manifold and ceramic coating if you can.

Add the EGT probe to the manifold while you are at it.

Where did you get your manifold ceramic coated? I've used Jet-Hot in the past but now they're quoting me $600 for just the exhaust manifold right now with their high temp turbo coating. Dang. I think it was like $175 for the last non-turbo manifold I did...

Where did you get your manifold ceramic coated? I've used Jet-Hot in the past but now they're quoting me $600 for just the exhaust manifold right now with their high temp turbo coating. Dang. I think it was like $175 for the last non-turbo manifold I did...
I got a quote from Jet-Hot myself for around $480 during March. This was after sweet talking to them.

I ended up doing it myself.
The blasting I had done at work.
The CCoat, I did using the spray cans and following the curing process.

20200504_095756.jpg

20200504_121242.jpg

20200504_173446.jpg

I ended up coating the exhaust side on the Turbo, Downpipe and Manifold.

I followed the instructions on the can.

I used the VHT brand High temp Primer and then Top coat.

I could have put the clearcoat but chose not to. Would do it next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom