1HD-T five speed conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.shopraddcruisers.ca
If anyone has read through Waggoners hardcore thread on his buggy, they may have seen the bit on his tcase conversion to manual.

Anyways if this makes the combo a possible install, does this make the engine not use the ECU.

Rob

I don't think there is an ECU in the 1HD-T, at least, I haven't yet found one in mine though I've been looking for one.

Kalawang

Your pretty much right, I guess it is called a throttle positions censore.

Pretty sure the Tcase still need some electrics to run.

Rob

That is an awesome thread. Brian Jowett's 6 speed thread is also another cool mod. I really gotta get out of International more often :D

Dave

That was what I was thinking Dave, cool idea to use the five speed with manual tcase.

I know G&S have hooked up a H55, but the venerable R151 (not sure if this is the correct trannsmission) and split case with not electrics would be way cool.

Have to admit the 1HD-T has become one of my favourite engines.

Rob

Radd Cruisers said:
That was what I was thinking Dave, cool idea to use the five speed with manual tcase.

I know G&S have hooked up a H55, but the venerable R151 (not sure if this is the correct trannsmission) and split case with not electrics would be way cool.

Rob

I don't know that a split case can be fitted to an R151. I thought that this was for an full time 4WD type Tcase.

M

all the LJ78/71 series come with the R151 and split case behind the smaller 4 and the R141 in my PZJ has the slpit case...

Yes your right, the full time case you are speaking of is the one I think that Waggoner is using in his project build. He mentioned slee has a kit to make them a manual case.

In that thread I think they called it a split case but not the case from the H55.

Is that confusing enought........

Mike S said:
I don't know that a split case can be fitted to an R151. I thought that this was for an full time 4WD type Tcase.

M

Mike S said:

M

As Wayne mentioned, the R151's can have split cases. In fact we have one off a LJ on consignment at the shop. I think you mean the H151 or H150 Radd?

I am not sure you would want to put a R tranny behind a 1HD-T, or even a 1HZ-T. I believe this is a "duty" level issue again, where Toyota decided to put the H150/H151 behind the Heavy Duty line. I imagine they did this for a reason, and this does not imply the R's are a bad tranny...simply "duty" service built and "duty" service installed.

Yes, I know they ran them in the mines, but look at the size of the R151 vs an H151...

I am not up on this info much, and would love for people in the know to pipe up. As always..open to info.

What is the word from Oz and Europe with these?

hth's

gb

Greg_B said:
I imagine they did this for a reason, and this does not imply the R's are a bad tranny...simply "duty" service built and "duty" service installed.

Yes, I know they ran them in the mines, but look at the size of the R151 vs an H151...

gb
you can not get much heavier duty then mine use, can you?
i have to agree i was shocked to find the R151 behind the HZJ...
if i had a choice i think i would go with the H151...

Radd Cruisers said:

Rob

Yeah for some funny reason it is my fav too.

Venerable R151? :D They make great trannies in a lighter vehicle like the minitruck or the Prado. But go to other forums, especially non-US ones, and see what people say about it. Enough said.

In my mind a nice drivetrain behind a Toyota turbo diesel would be an H150 (lower 1st than H151, same large case, internal oil pump, etc.) and an HF1A transfer case. If needed, add Marks4WD's crawler box for a ratio of 140:1.

Dave

Mike S said:

M

The later transfers are split, so to make the distinction I think we should call it by what Toyota calls them. The conventional split case, like the ones in a 60 series, is called the BF1A. A few Toyota literature refers to them by this name. I wish I know if the "A" stands for the ratio, but I know the 1.99:1 low is called the BF1A.

The new ones, like the ones in an 80 series, is called the HFxA. They share similar internals and gear ratio (2.48:1). There are at least three variants if not more:

- The HF1A is a fully manual part time case, most come with a PTO port and gear. These were not seen in any US market vehicles.
- The HF2A is a full time case, with electric hi-low shifting and a lockable center differential. In the US, these came in the early 80 series.
- The HF2AV is an HF2A with a viscous coupling in the center differential. These were used in the later 80 series and the 100 series in the US. I am sure an 80 series guy can give the particulars better than I can.

Dave

Here is an R151 coupled to a split case:
r151f_tranny.JPG

I believe this is the very same one that is for sale at G&S.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom