1HD-T 80 trip report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

70sguy

SILVER Star
Threads
OK kids, we did the shakedown road trip with the freshly 1HD-T swapped 93 FZJ80. Having only put about 600 miles on the truck post swap I was a little uneasy about Vancouver to Redding CA and back. I am back home and the truck performed flawlessly in spite of record high temps. It hit 117F (47C) in Redding this weekend; the only place hotter was Death Valley at 125F, even Baghdad was a chilly 114F.
I am extremely pleased with both the performance and fuel economy of the
1HD-T in the 80. I topped the tank right up to the tune of 22.5gal (85l) a
few days before leaving and it took me a total of 507miles (810kms) before
the light came on at Eugene OR and that is with 4 people and camping gear on
board, intermittent use of AC and a lot of congestion in the Seattle to
Portland corridor. Despite the extreme high temps the truck didn't miss a
beat. I ran the AC full time from the Oregon border south and through all
the passes,
Temp stayed at exactly at the mid mark over the Siskiyou Pass where at 110F
lesser vehicles were overheating in droves. The torque of the 1HD-T is
phenomenal! The ECT type A442F tranny with extreme valve body didn't even drop a gear, or come out of lock up once on the whole pass. I was able to maintain 65mph on the steepest grades and even accelerate had I wished. The grades and AC did shave a bit off the fuel economy. I topped the tank 22gal (83l)at Redding for the return trip and it took us 475 miles (760km) to Castle Rock WA. So my fuel consumption was 22.5 usmpg (10.5 Lper100) in the cooler, flatter parts and 21.5 usmpg (11Lper100) in the hot passes. Oil consumption was low, it dropped maybe a few millimeter on the dipstick when checked at Redding and down about 8mm back home.
What a machine!

Last edited:
Sounds awesome.
Would love to see some pics of the swap.

Cheers,
Nick

BTW:
I was about 1 hour away from Seattle over the weekend at a suzuki offroad event. It was hot, but I never new it was that hot.

Seattle broke records at 88F on sunday.. Redding CA hit 117. It was unbelievable.
Siskiyou pass is the big climb at the OR CA border. Lots O fun in a turbo diesel 80 with AC. Last time I did it was in 2000 with my loaded down stock 3B 86BJ70 towing a tent trailer. Uggg.. After this trip I am spoiled for good.

Pics.. hmm.. well I didn't take many of the truck, from the outside it really doesn't look much different than a bone stock 93 FZJ80 aside from the turbo decals on it.. The OME and other fun ARB accesories will come soon as will a separate thread with some engine bay pics.
It was a bit of a rush trip for a family function so not much time to stop and take pics of the cruiser against the scenic vistas etc.
Here is a boring pic at Whiskeytown lake, north west of Redding.
DSCN3878c.JPG

507 miles on 22.5 gallons of diesel....WOW!.... wish I had a 1HD-T .... we'd be lucky to hit 300+ miles with the 1FZ.

70sguy said:
Pics.. hmm.. well I didn't take many of the truck, from the outside it really doesn't look much different than a bone stock 93 FZJ80 aside from the turbo decals on it.. The OME and other fun ARB accesories will come soon as will a separate thread with some engine bay pics.
It was a bit of a rush trip for a family function so not much time to stop and take pics of the cruiser against the scenic vistas etc.
Here is a boring pic at Whiskeytown lake, north west of Redding.
The truck looks cool,don't put it down, LOL. The wheels are great better than sunnies and you have good wide flares by the look of it.Hoped to see a couple of the scenery also. :D :beer: :beer: :beer: thanks for sharing

70sguy said:
OK kids, we did the shakedown road trip with the freshly 1HD-T swapped 93 FZJ80. Having only put about 600 miles on the truck post swap I was a little uneasy about Vancouver to Redding CA and back. I am back home and the truck performed flawlessly in spite of record high temps. It hit 117F (47C) in Redding this weekend; the only place hotter was Death Valley at 125F, even Baghdad was a chilly 114F.
I am extremely pleased with both the performance and fuel economy of the
1HD-T in the 80. I topped the tank right up to the tune of 22.5gal (85l) a
few days before leaving and it took me a total of 507miles (810kms) before
the light came on at Eugene OR and that is with 4 people and camping gear on
board, intermittent use of AC and a lot of congestion in the Seattle to
Portland corridor. Despite the extreme high temps the truck didn't miss a
beat. I ran the AC full time from the Oregon border south and through all
the passes,
Temp stayed at exactly at the mid mark over the Siskiyou Pass where at 110F
lesser vehicles were overheating in droves. The torque of the 1HD-T is
phenomenal! The ECT type A442F tranny with extreme valve body didn't even drop a gear, or come out of lock up once on the whole pass. I was able to maintain 65mph on the steepest grades and even accelerate had I wished. The grades and AC did shave a bit off the fuel economy. I topped the tank 22gal (83l)at Redding for the return trip and it took us 475 miles (760km) to Castle Rock WA. So my fuel consumption was 22.5 usmpg (10.5 Lper100) in the cooler, flatter parts and 21.5 usmpg (11Lper100) in the hot passes. Oil consumption was low, it dropped maybe a few millimeter on the dipstick when checked at Redding and down about 8mm back home.
What a machine!
i have seen your work and it is impressive to say the least. i have no doubt the truck would run as good as, if not better than, new.
congrates on a sweet ride.
cheers

Thanks for posting all the details about your trip. The Cruiser looks great. Where did you purchase your HDT engine from?

Enjoy the ride!

rjones25 said:
Thanks for posting all the details about your trip. The Cruiser looks great. Where did you purchase your HDT engine from?

Enjoy the ride!

70'sguy is an importer of diesel engines from Japan. The company is called G&scruiserparts

That's right.. I ended up having to buy it from me! I think I got hosed!

LOL! hard to get a good deal is it?

Colr me green.

M

NICE............................................

I recently sent a person to MUD, he was thinking the 1HD-T in a 45 pickup.

Think your thread might clinch the sale.....

Guessing after the turbo rebuild you did not install a piro or boost gauge?

Rob

Radd Cruisers said:
Guessing after the turbo rebuild you did not install a piro or boost gauge?

Rob

Sheldon's got the pyrometer thermocouple plumbed into his exhaust manifold. I don't think he has the gauge mounted and hooked up yet though.

Yup.. gauges sitting up on my shelf awaiting instal. Not too woried about the EGTs since the fuel screw still has the factory tie wire on it. Injectors and turbo were both rebuilt prior to instal so everything should be AOk there.

any new report on the truck sheldon? Did you get the OME lift installed yet?

Tho OME 850/860 N73 N74E etc is still sitting beside the truck in the boxes. I have a few more details that I want to take care of in the engine bay before I put the lift on. 2" isn't much but it won't make it any easier to do harness work. I also want to check the valve clearances again now that it has had some run in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom