1HD-FTE Top speed governor/limiter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck is a LC 100 4.2TD manufactured 10/2003 with 5spd auto gearbox.

The speedo can easily reach ~178km/h where there is a noticeable deceleration from some sort of speed governor. Fuel injection is resumed when the speedo reaches ~174km/h... then again: reaches 178, cuts, then resumes at 174. The tachometer shows ~3200 RPM, this is 1000 RPM below the fuel cut of 4200 RPM.

I have contacted the local toyota represent, and they tell me there shouldn't be any speed governor so I should have my truck checked at the local dealer... But the DTC light remains off, so I suspect there is no problem with the engine. Furthemore, it is not an intermitent problem: the speed cut is always the same :hmm:

I don't know what to think. Is there any speed governor in these vehicles, or can it be programmed by software at the dealership? Otherwise I do have a problem. :bang:

Truck model is HDJ100L-GNAEZW
Engine 1HD-FTE 4.2 TD intercooled
Gearbox: 5spd auto

When I hiked around Argentina in 1994, and used buses, taxis etc., I would not like to have been traveling at 178 km/h or above.
So save your own life, as well as many others you don't know and slow down and enjoy the view........

Ok, thanks for the safety tips. But no one helped me with valuable info yet.

Last edited:
Did some reading. Can't find an absolute answer.
Vehicle speed is an input to the Engine ECU but max speed cutoff is not descibed in the list of functions.
The specifications says Max Speed is 175 km/h up to 7/2003 production and 180 km/h from 8/2003. That's for the 1HD-FTE in all markets foreign to JDM.
Unplug the speed sensor and see what you get it up to.

PS
How is your steering wheel telescoping motor getting along? Any luck?

Speed:
Braking distance increases by a factor of 4 when the speed doubles.
If the speed is higher than 70 km/h when you hit something hard, internal organs will rupture and bleeed.

Any fool can drive fast enough to be dangerous! . - . Drive and Stay Alive, will you?

Last edited:
Did some reading. Can't find an absolute answer.
Vehicle speed is an input to the Engine ECU but max speed cutoff is not descibed in the list of functions.
The specifications says Max Speed is 175 km/h up to 7/2003 production and 180 km/h from 8/2003. That's for the 1HD-FTE in all markets foreign to JDM.
Unplug the speed sensor and see what you get it up to.

PS
How is your steering wheel telescoping motor getting along? Any luck?

Sorry for the late reply.

I installed a switch in series with the speed signal coming from the rear of the gearbox (5-auto) to the ECU and it worked, no speed governor... the speedo reaches 190+ kph, which is actually 180 kph measured with a GPS... However, the CEL comes on. It turns off as soon as you reconnect the signal. No ill effects on ABS, suspension, etc. Only the cruise control and displayed statistics are affected (these don't work if no speed signal is present).

Regarding the motor, It does not have enough strength to move the steering wheel. Will post results if I ever get back to it and fix the problem.

I can't believe you actually tried taking your cruiser up to those speeds; especially the fact that it's a diesel; you're a crazy man!! :eek:

I can't believe you actually tried taking your cruiser up to those speeds; especially the fact that it's a diesel; you're a crazy man!! :eek:

Vehicle speed is not important. Engine speed is. Do you really think the 1HD-FTE will suffer at 3400 rpm when the fuel cut is at 4300 RPM and gear shifting under full load takes place at 3800 RPM ?

Vehicle speed is not important. Engine speed is. Do you really think the 1HD-FTE will suffer at 3400 rpm when the fuel cut is at 4300 RPM and gear shifting under full load takes place at 3800 RPM ?

Doubt it, but sustained revs at that rpm could be a problem, its not a boat engine. That said you should be getting PLENTY of air flow for cooling, which would be the main concern.

You like desert racing?

I do.....dream job

Personally i don't think he's that crazy, 180kph is about 111mph, on a straight road i don't see it as a big deal if the conditions are correct.

I read in a brochure one time that the LX is limited to 109mph, which is right around where you were experiencing the 'limiting' effect. I suspect that may be why you experienced that, i could see that being a common number on all cruisers. Plus the law in Japan is that all cars must be limited to 180kph/112mph and seeing as they are all built in Japan.....

you should be getting PLENTY of air flow for cooling, which would be the main concern.

I doubt that air flow could be a problem when the vehicle is moving at those speeds... Plus, the engine is way oversized for the output power (4.2L 200HP), running quite low boost pressure for today's standards.

Doubt it, but sustained revs at that rpm could be a problem, its not a boat engine....
It IS a boat engine. Comes as 320 HP. Nominal power-RPM 3600, limited at 4200.

See NanniDiesel.com

Last edited:
It IS a boat engine. Comes as 320 HP. Nominal power-RPM 3600, limited at 4200.

See NanniDiesel.com

Ya I knew that Yanmar uses them as the 6LP marine diesel.....Toyota is stamped on the block even uses the same oil filter. That said, they do marinize the engine.....which will have an impact on various things. Also boats have a much greater cooling capacity than a car since they have an unlimited supply of fresh (i.e. cold) coolant.

Diesels used in vehicles are not intended to be held at high RPMs for extended periods of time like a boat or tractor engine.

Caaarlo, I think you misunderstood me, I was saying that cooling is not going to be a problem cause the air flow will be very high.

Main point, have fun with your cruiser, your not gonna be able to hurt it by driving fast......the engine is built like a tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom