New owner of a ‘98 JDM 100 / 1HD-FTE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, wanted to introduce this hog. 220K km, fresh paint, headlight mod, pristine interior (cloth seats!), and new wheels/33 A/Ts.

It came with a seized up transfer case shifter so that’s the first project. Then new audio system, lift, and no links/bushings, and LED headlights (@alfaboss good to see the Super7s fit, I’ve been thinking about getting those). I’ll add weekend/camping stuff when the weather starts warming up.

This community’s been super addicting already, thanks for the awesome guides and project ideas, looking forward to many miles with this rig.

IMG_7845.jpeg

IMG_7844.jpeg

IMG_7847.jpeg

IMG_7846.jpeg

Gorgeous truck with what appears to be some NA/USA unobtanium.

The running boards are interesting and the headlight buckets suggest a "FLEX" offering?

And another member of Cloth Interior Conclave, NICE!

Welcome! :beer: Are you currently stationed over there?

Gorgeous truck with what appears to be some NA/USA unobtanium.

The running boards are interesting and the headlight buckets suggest a "FLEX" offering?

And another member of Cloth Interior Conclave, NICE!

Welcome! :beer: Are you currently stationed over there?
Thanks! I just left Japan after 3 years there and had to grab one of these to bring with me. Especially with US car prices right now… The yen exchange rate put this thing at an unreal price.

Yeah the front end is all done by “flexdream” I think. I love the aesthetic but feels like cheaper plastic, certainly not on par with the metal ones from @kelly saad

Interestingly, the ARB Japan site has flexdream’s logo at the top too, so my guess is they bridged the gap from Australia on 4x4 parts and mods. They run dealerships across Japan the mod/restore LCs.

Looks very nice and clean. Without side mouldings is much better, gives a clean look which enhances the great lines.
First thing to do is remove that EGR, before poluting the engine to death.
Is it a 99?

Looks very nice and clean. Without side mouldings is much better, gives a clean look which enhances the great lines.
First thing to do is remove that EGR, before poluting the engine to death.
Is it a 99?
‘98.

I was just reading about EGR delete. It’s my first diesel so I don’t totally understand what it does and what it gains but I see it’s a common thing to do

‘98.

I was just reading about EGR delete. It’s my first diesel so I don’t totally understand what it does and what it gains but I see it’s a common thing to do
It's pretty simple.

With an EGR, your exhaust gets recirculated back to the engine to fully burn off leftover stuff from previous combustion. This air is less oxygenated (I think) so it actually requires a bit more fuel to get it exploding. It generates a little less kick than regular air. Deleting the EGR just makes it run like a regular engine.

With EGR:
* Less unburned pollution particulates
* Less engine performance
* More fuel use

Without EGR:
* More unburned pollution particulates
* More engine performance
* Less fuel use.

I'm generally very sensitive to our environment and I like to take care of it because we only have one. That said, I don't think EGR really does much good because it ends up inducing more fuel use. It probably makes more sense to delete the EGR and install a fancy cat/filter device to sop up all the nasties that are unburned.

‘98.

In addition - most important - The exhaust gases that are reintroduced to the intake pipe and manifold contain lotsa oily soot that deposits inside the pipes. This will continue clogging the pipes until the engine gets problem breathing. You can find pics around showing how bad it can get. On long drives, when the engine always have full operating temperature, there is much less soot than with only short drives.
Without the EGR, this soot gets pushed out through the exhaust pipe into our environment instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom