1HD-FTE Top speed governor/limiter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Diesels used in vehicles are not intended to be held at high RPMs for extended periods of time like a boat or tractor engine.

I do not know about this statement ... quite a few modern diesel engines are mostly spec'd to run at or near the governed engine speed. The Cummins ISC 330 in my Haulmark motorhome has a recommended cruise RPM of 1950 - 2150 rpm with a governed speed of 2200 (2400 for engine braking). The same pretty much holds true for the ISB used in the Ram pickups.

Yes, having a heat sink the size of the ocean (literally) helps cool a marine diesel, but quite a few automotive and truck diesels are designed to be run flat out or close to it for extended periods of time, assuming collant and oil temps stay in range.

My $0.02 based upon a few years experience with light duty and medium duty diesel engines for on road applications ...

<required yota tech content> even the smaller 3 and 4 cylinder Yanmars utilize the same filter as some of the Toyota diesels </ tech content>

Last edited:
110 miles an hour is one hell of a speed for a 100 series. Fine until something unexpected happens. IMO the brakes, suspension and tyres are not up to quick lane changes and certainly not up to stopping it acceptably quickly without drama from that speed.

That's not the question though. Assuming the speed and more is attainable, there should be no problem with the engine IMO. But it is not a tractor engine and is not designed for pulling maximum power for hours on end. For the odd few minutes, full power at rated speed should not be an issue. I would worry about stopping, not going. :bounce2:

The 1hd-fte I have has been regularly used around 160km/h upto 250,000km here in Zim, the PO just kept it serviced every 5000km & did major services every 20,000 km. I have taken it upto 180km/hr, which is as high as the speedo goes, but I can only do this on a good road that has no traffic. I have heard from friends that these vehicles especially the uk spec amazon 1hd-fte should do over 200kph but mine was built in Japan. Maybe it's limited but I haven't noticed cut outs, that said I don't usually go over 160 and will sit at 140 comfortably based on these roads. The suspension needs to be clicked over to sport the faster you go and always know your tyre limits, but these vehicles sit very comfortably at 160 kph and feel like 100-120kph on smaller cars. I am currently running a new set of Pirelli at's I picked up in joburg 6 months ago and they are doing great

Sorry for the late reply.

I installed a switch in series with the speed signal coming from the rear of the gearbox (5-auto) to the ECU and it worked, no speed governor... the speedo reaches 190+ kph, which is actually 180 kph measured with a GPS... However, the CEL comes on. It turns off as soon as you reconnect the signal. No ill effects on ABS, suspension, etc. Only the cruise control and displayed statistics are affected (these don't work if no speed signal is present).

Regarding the motor, It does not have enough strength to move the steering wheel. Will post results if I ever get back to it and fix the problem.
My HDJ81 cruise control will not set above 115kph or so...

Is this normal for Japan or all diesel? Can it be removed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom