1HD-FT hose identification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,

I'm stumped trying to figure out what this coolant hose and... thing? is in my new-to-me 1HD-FT powered 80 series. The hose is the one coming out the left side middle of the head (from the viewer's perspective, the driver side on this RHD truck), going to the aluminum thing, then over to the air intake. I'm pretty sure it's coolant, not oil, based on the color I can see though the hose, but there is some oil on the outside of the hose by the engine. Ignore the expansion tank in the wrong spot :p

I can't find any diagram online that would give me a hint either, so if someone knows something I could look at to figure this out myself in the future that'd be great as well :)

Thanks

20210416_164339 (1).jpg

Ah interesting, explains the oil on the hoses. I suppose I should look for a drain plug then and see how much is in there.

Ah interesting, explains the oil on the hoses. I suppose I should look for a drain plug then and see how much is in there.
empty the can out from time to time or it will get back into the intake, mine is vented to atmosphere

Quick tip, inspect the hoses to see if it has any markings on it. A lot of people simply use water/coolant hose as it’s cheap, but it isn’t up to the job of dealing with oil vapour. Overtime the hose can break down and eventually start leaking, potentially meaning water getting in during river crossings.
If there is any swelling or the hose feels slimy I would replace with hose rated for oil.
Cheers

Thanks for the tip, it definitely feels slimy so I'll write that down as something to do this weekend then.

It can be a bit of a pain to find the right type of hose in that size, I ended up finding fuel and oil rated hose that works nicely. You may need to visit one of the bigger auto stores or just buy online

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom