1fz-fe oil catch can post up your set ups! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Be careful that your catch can isn't too restrictive.

Lots of turbo diesel guys here and on other cruiser forums around the webs creating oil consumption issues because catch cans are too restrictive, and pressurising the crank case

Reactions: CJK
Be careful that your catch can isn't too restrictive.

Lots of turbo diesel guys here and on other cruiser forums around the webs creating oil consumption issues because catch cans are too restrictive, and pressurising the crank case

+1 on that. I wanted to protect the turbo impeller so I dropped $500 in catch cans as insurance. Good news is that risk was mitigated and bought me time until I need to rebuilt top-end.

Also, make sure your catch can seals properly to prevent vacuum leaks (on PCV <> Intake Manifold circuit). You can also add an in-line valve between catch can and intake to isolate.

One quick question, can you keep the EGR system while adding an oil catch can as well? i have 1HD FTE engine. Thanks

Still running the same separator from 11 years ago. Prevented many miles and years worth of oil getting into the plenum. Not as pretty as the one I have in my tundra but it works the same.

AC71A190-DFB7-41D7-BC75-4FBD9909E009.jpeg

1653761742167.jpeg

Kinda dirty but I’ve had this KK Moon can in on the PCV side for a year +. Bout half full after 5k miles. Need to make it easier to remove and dump but it’s not often that it needs done either.

Still running the same separator from 11 years ago. Prevented many miles and years worth of oil getting into the plenum. Not as pretty as the one I have in my tundra but it works the same.

View attachment 3019852
Looks clean, do you remember the name of the brand for this can?

Wondering if a MUD vendor could come up with a catch can kit that worked well, not too big, not too small, looked kinda OEM, didn't have 6 feet of hoses draping over the engine, wasn't in the way when working on other components, and not crazy expensive, etc,etc

@NLXTACY

@cruiseroutfit

Here's my simple, effective 1FZ-FE solution. This is about how much oil vapor is condensed out of the breather tube over the course of 1 tank of gas, ~300mi of around town and mixed freeway driving, and has been consistent for quite some time now.
20220810_184208.jpg

I think the part was $20 on Amazon, and about 5 minutes to cut the breather and stick it in-line. You could spend a lot more, but Im frugal that way...

Amazon product ASIN B00CH2JSIY

Last edited:
The price is a bit steep when compared to the Amazon specials, but I’m going this route on my truck:
I like the radium cans, but I think I would want the standard catch can instead of the Air/Oil separator - Return. To do it properly, you’d have to drill a hole in your oil pan for the oil to return, and splice into your coolant lines on the throttle body as well. I like the thought, just not the complexity.

I like the radium cans, but I think I would want the standard catch can instead of the Air/Oil separator - Return. To do it properly, you’d have to drill a hole in your oil pan for the oil to return, and splice into your coolant lines on the throttle body as well. I like the thought, just not the complexity.

I think Air/Oil separator isn’t necessary. I’d rather remove the fuel, oil, junk mixture than let it go back into oil pan to circulate in the motor and turbo.

I’ve got 188K miles on a turbo’d motor that wasn’t rebuilt or even HG replaced. I empty my catch cans like once a year when I change the oil.

If you’re blowing by sufficient vol to fill catch cans every month or so, you probably need a top-end rebuild not a bandaid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom