1FZ Coolant overflowing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently had a shop replace my big radiator hoses and do a coolant flush and replace with red coolant. Yesterday i went outside and checked my car and there was coolant on the ground after sitting for a day. I turned the car on with the rad cap off (which is also brand new) and it kept overflowing out of the radiator cap, then sort of burping itself out and redoing it. The three photos are within about 5 seconds. There’s also nothing going through the coolant overflow pipe. I have no real idea about anything on cars so any help would be good thanks. ALSO I had a mechanic mate tell me it’s just the water pump doing it’s thing and it wouldn’t be a HG due to there being no air bubbles

6E902CC7-05EF-4EA6-BD0F-016EB92B6479.png

7EE9E5E7-F767-4AAA-9228-6460CD0F08A0.png

AE9A2896-B371-4E3A-8A8F-DF8295717B39.png

Fill the overflow tank to the Full line (using the same type of coolant) then put the (correct/OEM) cap back on snugly, and drive it with the heat control level on HOT (you don't need to run the fan). Then check the coolant level in the overflow tank the next morning on a cold engine. Refill the overflow tank as needed.

Last edited:
definitly not toyota coolant

Dingo, you need to confirm that the overflow hose is not blocked so coolant can pass through to the overflow bottle when it gets warm / hot and then get sucked back to the radiator when it cools off. Is the new cap the correct pressure rating 0.9bar & sealing properly?

The color looks like Toyota red mixed with rust. A little bit of Thermocure should address the rust but will turn rust dark gray. It's safe to run Thermocure for a few weeks to months but the whole system will need to be flushed with distilled and Toyota red.

I agree with others that the tubing to the overflow might be clogged causing the leaking.

Agree, check to see that the overflow hose/valve is working, once had a situation
where the plastic inside the reservoir cap had melted not allowing coolant to flow in both directions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom