1999 Landcruiser New Member Introduction (Los Angeles) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, my name's Daniel and I just recently acquired a white 1999 LC with about 192k miles. I used to own a TJ Wrangler (1998 Sahara) and it had chromoly axles, 3.5" lift, 4.88 gears, air lockers front and rear, 35in KO2's, and it did the Rubicon Trail like it was butter. Anyway, I was tired of the Jeep's reliability so I got behind the wheel of a 100 series and it was completely bone stock when I got it and have already installed the Bilstein lift kit from Slee, SPC upper control arms, 33in KO2's (285/65/18) on Method 701s, Slee rocksliders, painted the front grill, removed the old gross fake wood trim, and also cut and installed the Huracan Fabrication tailgate storage system.

I installed the lift kit myself and it took awhile. It took me like 10 hours but if I had help it would have taken alot less time. I'm happy with the lift, I think the rears are a little high but once I get bumpers I think it'll even out the rake a bit. The torsion bars are pretty much cranked up to the SPC UCA's maximum capability, which I find odd. The front only went up about 1.5" and I wish I could crank them up another inch. I wonder if the front will go up a bit once the weight of the rear bumper plus spare tire is introduced because if the rear goes down, it might pull the front end up.

I've already ordered a Dissent rear bumper with a tire swingout but the lead time is several months for this. With this order I also purchased full skids.
Also, I ordered a TJM T17 front bumper with winch frame from Slee a couple of days ago.
Once the bumpers get here I'll install them and share some photos again.

At the moment I'm just focusing on some little things like fixing my master window switch, researching, selecting, and installing a deck of some sort that has Apple CarPlay, installing a better sound system, and most importantly I'll have to go through the service records and see what needs to be serviced. My alternator died on me the other day on a trip, which kind of sucked. Other than that I love the truck and I'm stoked to be a part of this community! Here are some photos of the truck the day I got it and then a few photos of the truck as it sits now.

62A3938E-D3E1-4ADF-B70D-4233BA635780.JPG

B6E8DB28-41D9-40EE-87DD-965EED515E19.JPG

E136F39E-81FC-4246-B10D-207542F17C94.JPG

FC96A321-8701-4ABD-9371-193AD935F609.JPG

IMG_5977.jpg

Cool truck. Seems like you might need to re-index the torsion bars to get more lift up front.

Nice looking truck! it does look high in the back, but maybe the springs will settle some, and the added bumper weight should bring it down at least a bit.

Welcome ! Nice truck and good mods so far !

Welcome. When I bought my 100 it was supposed to replace the TJ Rubi I've had since 2003. I kept both of them. It's a perfect combination :) Looks like you are well on your way to a nice 100 build!

Cool truck. Seems like you might need to re-index the torsion bars to get more lift up front.
If the UCA’s are maxed out, re-indexing wouldn’t really do anything would it? I’d imagine if I kept cranking on the bars with the UCA’s maxed out I’d end up just getting a bunch of positive camber.

Welcome. When I bought my 100 it was supposed to replace the TJ Rubi I've had since 2003. I kept both of them. It's a perfect combination :) Looks like you are well on your way to a nice 100 build!
Yeah, honestly that is the perfect combo but I don’t have the space for another vehicle in addition to my two motorcycles and LC :( one day I’ll have another TJ though! I miss the TJ and it’s rock crawling ability. Once my skids and bumpers get here I’m going to test out the rock crawling capabilities of the LC. I’m sure it won’t compare to the TJ.

If the UCA’s are maxed out, re-indexing wouldn’t really do anything would it? I’d imagine if I kept cranking on the bars with the UCA’s maxed out I’d end up just getting a bunch of positive camber.
Yep, Sounds reasonable.

Yeah, honestly that is the perfect combo but I don’t have the space for another vehicle in addition to my two motorcycles and LC :( one day I’ll have another TJ though! I miss the TJ and it’s rock crawling ability. Once my skids and bumpers get here I’m going to test out the rock crawling capabilities of the LC. I’m sure it won’t compare to the TJ.
Locker, no locker?

Either way, be careful with the front diff. It is a known weak point, especially if you use the skinny pedal a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom