1999 Cruiser brakes dragging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MCJ

Threads
About 3 years ago I replaced front and rear calipers, rotors and fluid and I would notice every once in a while the brakes were slow to release. The problem is getting worse with the brakes staying applied even after the petal is released. It seems like it is happening to all of the wheels at the same time. Any suggestions?

You are not alone so I am interested in hearing what the cause is. In my case, it was the right rear that was (might still be) staying on - there was always more visible brake dust and two weeks ago it was worn out completely. Needed new rotors because of it also. When I took it in, they said the left rear was perfectly fine, and that the caliper on the right was retracting like normal. They couldn’t reccomend new calipers since it was newer (3 years) but there has to be something else going on.

What he said ☝🏾

The pistons are seizing/seized. Need to get them out, clean em up, regrease, and add new seals. Good as new.
The calipers were rebuilt units that came with the pads installed and the rotors were new. This dragging started a little bit when they were new but now is progressively getting worse. It is even on all for wheels as the car does not pull to either side. Sometimes it will drag and sometime not. I am beginning to think it is the master cylinder and booster unit.

The calipers were rebuilt units that came with the pads installed and the rotors were new. This dragging started a little bit when they were new but now is progressively getting worse. It is even on all for wheels as the car does not pull to either side. Sometimes it will drag and sometime not. I am beginning to think it is the master cylinder and booster unit.

the master cylinder doesn't have the power to make one pad drag while the others do not. it's easy and simple enough to pull apart and rebuild a caliper, the parts are cheap... if it's your master cylinder.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

What brand? Not all rebuilds are the same quality. @Somebodyelse5 is right - the MC would not cause all 4 calipers to drag. A failing booster could tho, which is indeed $$$$$$$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom