1998 Lexus LX 470 - Second AC Lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me is it common for a second set of AC lines (connected to nothing) to be present in a non-rear AC unit model?

im pretty sure that all of them in the us have factory dual ac coils and a lot of people have the rear one bypassed. You should see 2 High Pressure lines coming out of the compressor one going underneath the firewall and one going through it. If not than whoever owned it b4 u prolly had it bypassed. honestly ive thought of doing it to mine cuz i dont see a use for it.

im pretty sure that all of them in the us have factory dual ac coils and a lot of people have the rear one bypassed. You should see 2 High Pressure lines coming out of the compressor one going underneath the firewall and one going through it. If not than whoever owned it b4 u prolly had it bypassed. honestly ive thought of doing it to mine cuz i dont see a use for it.
The previous owner said the AC worked well and I just had it at my mechanics for the once over before buying - he provided a list of maintenance issues to address and the AC or any codes related to its function were not present. I also had it on my ODB2 Sensor and didn’t see any codes related to the AC. Will it trip a code it low on pressure or Freon? Perhaps it’s was conveyed to the new R12? / R16? When bypassed or bypassed when converted - which would seem logical.

The previous owner said the AC worked well and I just had it at my mechanics for the once over before buying - he provided a list of maintenance issues to address and the AC or any codes related to its function were not present. I also had it on my ODB2 Sensor and didn’t see any codes related to the AC. Will it trip a code it low on pressure or Freon? Perhaps it’s was conveyed to the new R12? / R16? When bypassed or bypassed when converted - which would seem logical.

Let's establish a couple of things before we go any further and this gets confusing.

You have an LX470....not Land Cruiser....right?

Do you have the Rear A/C button on the center dash area (see pic below):

Rear Air1.jpg

And IF so....do you also have 'controls' in the rear drivers side head liner area:

Rear AC controls.jpg

People in rusty climates often have the rear lines Rust out and opt to have them capped off rather than replace them.

Edit: just read your other post abt. AHC maintenance where you state you will be dealing with a rusty truck. Check your brake lines over real well as those are know to rust out along with the AHC lines and AC lines.

Last edited:
Let's establish a couple of things before we go any further and this gets confusing.

You have an LX470....not Land Cruiser....right?

Do you have the Rear A/C button on the center dash area (see pic below):

View attachment 2587668

And IF so....do you also have 'controls' in the rear drivers side head liner area:

View attachment 2587669
I do have the button but no rear controls. The truck was in the North so I am dealing with the rust quickly. In fact next to the base line maintenance - it's the main thing I'm tackling. I've coated the undercarriage with lubricant and making my way around the trucks underbelly. The rust has been mostly confined to the wheel wheels. All that being said, it's not the worst undercarriage I've seen - all in all pretty solid. The frame is good and the tubs are good. I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE AND INSPECT THE BREAK LINES NEXT. Once completed I'll coat everything I can reach! Oh and yes it is a 1998 Lexus LX 470.

Last edited:

Todd certain types of issues (low refrigerant charge for example) would not throw any codes for you to detect with an OBDII scanner.

Your system should be R134a (from the factory). Toyota made the transition from R12 to R134a somewhere around 1993....so there should not have been a conversion on your vehicle.

I'm not aware of an LX (U.S. Market) that didn't come with rear air....but perhaps it was possible to order one that way.

In any case....it sounds rather like your vehicle might have had the rear lines capped off. Not an uncommon thing to see when/if rusted lines were present. The difficulty and expense to replace them moves most folks to just do away with their rear air. But I AM puzzled that you would not have rear controls.

To confirm whether or not the vehicle was ever equipped.....you can look behind the passenger side rear panels and you'll find the Evaporator back there.

Unless you want/need rear air.....I wouldn't give it any more thought. Just get about base lining the vehicle and enjoy. Check those Heater Tee's first thing.

Thanks Flint... I do have other things to worry about. LOL! Though I was curious - I look for the evaporator - I have the PS Side panel loose to do some minor body work on the back rear panel. I have plans to do the Belt, H20, Pump, Serp Belt and T-hoses next month. This is not a daily driver - so the miles will be minimal even after base line stuff is completed. She will be our summer camper / sailboat hauler replacing the beat down Jeep Commander.

Thanks Flint... I do have other things to worry about. LOL! Though I was curious - I look for the evaporator - I have the PS Side panel loose to do some minor body work on the back rear panel. I have plans to do the Belt, H20, Pump, Serp Belt and T-hoses next month. This is not a daily driver - so the miles will be minimal even after base line stuff is completed. She will be our summer camper / sailboat hauler replacing the beat down Jeep Commander.

Good job. You'll love it....once all is done.

Thanks Flint... I do have other things to worry about. LOL! Though I was curious - I look for the evaporator - I have the PS Side panel loose to do some minor body work on the back rear panel. I have plans to do the Belt, H20, Pump, Serp Belt and T-hoses next month. This is not a daily driver - so the miles will be minimal even after base line stuff is completed. She will be our summer camper / sailboat hauler replacing the beat down Jeep
ADBC724B-9A3E-4169-A918-AC79FAB7954F.jpeg

Hopefully I'm moving on to a more reliable Tow Vehicle - I'm leaving the Jeep Commander with 171K and lots of new and or replaced parts. She is starting to smell "oily" so I suspect a value seat is going and the 4.7 is worth rebuilding.... I get attached to my trucks so after wanting a Land Cruiser since I was a young man I settled on this one:

6349774A-ADE0-4F6D-B693-47B44650A346.jpeg

She is a 1998 with 237K - She had a very good maintenance record so I jumped. The price was right at $4100 - took it strait to my Toyota guy and he gave it a thumbs up and we made a list of baseline stuff we will tackle together. Hopefully this will be a better investment over the long haul. Like I said, she won't be a daily - only towing, sailing and camping. She will rarely if ever go off road - though it's nice to be able to have the option to hit some more "rugged" roads on our adventures. I have a very specific purpose and build (stay tuned for a custom overland rack made to handle a SunFish). Thanks again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom