1997 Land Cruiser Throttle Position Sensor Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a 1997 land cruiser! Previous owner had a shop do all the work. However, there's lots of little things that were left unfixed.

So, I have read the threads about adjusting the TPS with feeler gauges. However, since I'm a 97, i just used a scanner to read TP %. At idle, it reads 9%. At full throttle, it only reads 75%. Is this normal, or should I replace the TPS? Can anyone else with a 97 do the same and tell me what they get?

After I replaced the battery it was very hesitant to downshift. However, it seems to be doing ok now. Not sure if anything changed or the ECU is just compensating.

On page DI-36 of the 1996 FSM, it states that if you use a scanner to measure throttle position opening %, anywhere around 10% with no depression is good, and when fully depressed around 75% is acceptable.

I have an irregular idle - it’s smooth, but goes from around 700 rpm to around 1000 rpm with an audible click sound near glove box region while in the drivers seat. Changed iacv, did not fix. Please help. # 97fzj80 owner

I have an irregular idle - it’s smooth, but goes from around 700 rpm to around 1000 rpm with an audible click sound near glove box region while in the drivers seat. Changed iacv, did not fix. Please help. # 97fzj80 owner
What year and model is your truck? If it has the auto climate control, then you are hearing the relay click to engage the AC during the defrost mode.

What year and model is your truck? If it has the auto climate control, then you are hearing the relay click to engage the AC during the defrost mode.
It’s a 97 land cruiser. This issue is new and persisting. Are you suggesting there is a relay that I need to replace ?

It’s a 97 land cruiser. This issue is new and persisting. Are you suggesting there is a relay that I need to replace ?
No, I'm not suggesting it's a relay.

Is this a 40th anniversary edition.or a Collector's Edition?

Those have a auto climate control system that may be engaging the sir conditioning compressor and causing it to cycle to 1000 rpm and back to 600 or 700.

No, I'm not suggesting it's a relay.

Is this a 40th anniversary edition.or a Collector's Edition?

Those have a auto climate control system that may be engaging the sir conditioning compressor and causing it to cycle to 1000 rpm and back to 600 or 700.
To my knowledge, it is not an anniversary edition nor a collectors edition. Throttle position sensor possibly ? Driving me nuts. Click rev click relax click rev click relax. Did not have this issue untill a couple weeks ago. I’ll try to read more about what you’re saying in regards to it engaging the ac.

It does sound like it is just the AC engaging on and off. Does your climate control area have an "AUTO" button as already mentioned? If it does, and the little light is green, it will use AC even if your AC button is turned off (if I remember correctly). Try playing with your climate control a bit and see if it helps.

I’ll do some tinkering with the climate control. Thanks you for your efforts and replies. I’ll let you know what I figure out.

So I cycled through all possible climate settings, turning the ac on, turning the ‘only’ defrost on which does engage ac etcetera. I also switched between fresh and recirculate air. Heard an audible shift of something at that point. May have been stuck in one position or another. I now have the climate set on floor/defrost (which does not simultaneously engage the ac) and the idle seems to be behaving normally again. Odd to say the least. Fingers crossed it was something wonky ‘sticking’ so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom