Ford 1997 Ford Explorer, is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
A good friend of mine went into the Army in December, and he will be going to Iraq for 1yr after AIT. Given that he will be away for so long he wants to sell his 1997 Explorer. He owes $6,200 on the truck and that's what he wants for it. The truck is in good shape, and it has 55,000 miles. He is the second owner, and he got it from a decent used car place about two years ago, and he did meet the orig owner who used it as his weekend vehicle since he lived in NYC. It spent most of it's time in a garage in NYC. So enter my mom. The Chevy Beretta that she drives is not great, and it's not worth dumping any cash into it, so do you think the 97 Explorer would be a good vehicle for her? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zack

The transmissions are junk, but you should be able to get 20-50,000 out of that one yet.

They have squat for resale value.

Kelly Blue Book value for trade in on that truck is about half of what he wants.

Straight up private party sale is only $4800 for good and $5200 for excellent.

It's not even a good deal.

Buy a 4Runner. Twice as old and twice the mileage will run twice as long. And you'll get better fuel mileage.

Gumby said:
The transmissions are junk, but you should be able to get 20-50,000 out of that one yet.

They have squat for resale value.

Kelly Blue Book value for trade in on that truck is about half of what he wants.

Straight up private party sale is only $4800 for good and $5200 for excellent.

It's not even a good deal.

Buy a 4Runner. Twice as old and twice the mileage will run twice as long. And you'll get better fuel mileage.

listen to gumby, the explorer came with my wife i didn't buy it.

Does not sound like a good deal at all to me, too much $$$. Get your mom a mid 90s Camry, better mpg, probably same price, will last longer, doesn't show it's age like a domestic (my buddys 97 Explorer, seemed to be twice as old as my 93 LC and 96 LX)

Exploders are worth almost zero. However if the vehicle has had no stress whatsoever it might work for a while.
Cheers,
Sean

Run, run very fast from that deal.

No on the Exploder. cbmontgo, that avatar weirds me out.

whodat said:
No on the Exploder. cbmontgo, that avatar weirds me out.

x2 (on both points)

I found it mildly interesting that U-haul have a no ford explorer policy, that is the only model, it isn't like there is a list of banned vehicles, just the ford explorer and this from U-haul, (who might have a few issues of their own)

That's remarkable... Courtesy of the U-Haul web site:

Ford Explorer owners: U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul – we have built our success for over 59 years by saying "yes" to our customers, and do not like saying "no" instead. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move. Please contact 1-800-GO-UHAUL (1-800-468-4285) for assistance with alternative options.

Funny, because I CAN rent from U-Haul with my Ford Ranger...

;)

Oh man, everyone I know that has owned that vehicle has regretted it. I mean REALLY REALLY regretted it.... Run far, far away.....

Well she got a brand new 2006 Highlander, and the Exploder is in Texas with my buddy in the Army. The military will store it while he is in Iraq, 1 year.

zack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom