Builds 1996 LX450 6.0L LQ9 Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice work on the shroud and additions. How the hell did you pull the binks unit off? Seems he pulled production once he got the whole community excited.

I had a pretty good noise going in the front driveshaft so I pulled it out and am having Phoenix Rack and Driveline put a DC in to help with the angle/vibration.

Nice work on the shroud and additions. How the hell did you pull the binks unit off? Seems he pulled production once he got the whole community excited.
Lol wasn't that hard... I called him and said "please ship me one". I was a little surprised myself that he had one on-hand as I had heard rumors of the same...

Last edited:
Also realized I forgot to post up the glamor shots of the axles. This is what kept the beast up on jackstands for almost a year!

Before

photo-1-jpg.955137

After

2015-01-15 20.07.24.jpg

2015-06-29 16.18.35.jpg

sexy, i'll take one please

Holy Balls...first time seeing this thread...Nice rig!!

Much better, looks great

So its been a really long time (2015) since I updated this thread, and its high-time to bring it up to current.

Since I received the truck back I struggled with cooling issues. I attempted several fan shrouds, fan controller setups, etc. Finally replaced the stock-ish radiator with a Ron Davis aluminum radiator and finally got the temps under control.

Also sent the truck out to be painted and am in the process of reattaching the cladding and putting the trim/handles/mirrors back on.

I was under the impression the stock radiator was adequate? I’m guessing not
How pricey was Ron Davis? If you don’t mind
Nope, not adequate. Especially not in AZ in the summer...

It was so long ago that I bet the price has changed by now. It was at least 1K. I will look through old emails to see if I can find the exact amount.

Wow it lives!! I'm glad to hear its moving forward Mike!

After I "solved" the cooling problem I noticed the engine was running super rough. Started when I ran her out of gas on the way back from the paint shop. I thought I had clogged the filter or an injector, but after replacing both she was still running like she had a misfire.

I wound up taking her down to NicD at Cordes Performance Racing in Tempe. That guy knows how to tune LS engines, especially swaps. She is running good again and I am hoping it will stay that way so I can focus on the other bits that need to get finished. Look him up if you have an LS engine in your LC and need help with tuning it. nicdtuning@gmail.com.

Another radiator option to consider is Steel Nutz in Murrieta, CA.

I’m running their radiator including two 13” Spal fans controlled by water temp probes. Never had a cooling issue, love my setup.

Another radiator option to consider is Steel Nutz in Murrieta, CA.

I’m running their radiator including two 13” Spal fans controlled by water temp probes. Never had a cooling issue, love my setup.
I actually had Steel Nutz build a radiator for me, however it was one of the first they had built for this application and wound up needing to be reworked several times. I lost confidence after a while and decided to go another route. I’m sure they probably have it down pat by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom