Builds 1996 Land Cruiser Build - "Kronk" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wish we could have crossed paths 10 yrs ago when I was working down there. Didn’t meet any cruiserheads but had a ton of fun on my KTM!

Very strange to have vertical marks like that on only one cylinder.

There are a few 80 series running around down here - some are pretty modified. Hoping to get out on the trails soon.

I see you are in Denver - I grew up near Steamboat Springs and still visit Colorado frequently. Looking forward to getting the Cruiser up there.

Got a little done yesterday. Frustrating waiting for the machine shop, but what can I do?

Anyway, during the removal, I couldn't get the alternator plug out of the back of the alternator. Spent a good chunk of time trying to pull it. I finally said eff it and crunched it up a bit with some channel locks to get it to come out. I fixed that one yesterday. Also replaced my high pressure power steering line.

1579012248995.png

1579012278667.png

Just called the machine shop to get an update. They said maybe next Wednesday it will be done. These guys are supposed to be really good. Maybe their massive backlog is a sign of that, but good grief, this is taking a long time. :bang:

Santa Fe auto machine. The PO recommended that if I ever need mechanic help to contact Michael Potter at Aztec auto in Santa Fe. It appears that he specializes in Land Cruisers, and I have heard more than one person recommend him. So, I called him and asked what machine shop he uses - and he said he would only work with Santa Fe auto machine. So, I took it there. They got the head done relatively quickly and it looks like they did a good job, but this engine block work is really dragging out.

I went to tinker some more on Kronk, just tacking some small stuff while waiting on the engine block. Today I created quite a bit more work for myself, though. As I was going to replace coolant hoses, I crunched the end of one of the tubes that go to the heater core. I grabbed the hose with a pair of pliers to give it a twist and it just crushed up - sound like I was crushing styrafoam. So, it looks like I will be pulling the dash now. :bang:

I am having a hard time finding a good write-up on the heater core replacement - anybody have a link?

Also got the valve cover painted.

1579561198355.png

1579561231283.png

The ends of the tubes are very malleable and can be carefully restored to round in place without the need for removal.

I went to tinker some more on Kronk, just tacking some small stuff while waiting on the engine block. Today I created quite a bit more work for myself, though. As I was going to replace coolant hoses, I crunched the end of one of the tubes that go to the heater core. I grabbed the hose with a pair of pliers to give it a twist and it just crushed up - sound like I was crushing styrafoam. So, it looks like I will be pulling the dash now. :bang:

I am having a hard time finding a good write-up on the heater core replacement - anybody have a link?

Also got the valve cover painted.

View attachment 2188283

View attachment 2188286

I did the same thing almost 15 years ago. I was pissed and panicked as I was headed out that afternoon. I called CDan and he talked me off the ledge and I ordered the pipe. This pipe was a first for him. He suggested I try to reform the pipe for an interim fix. I gently got it as round as possible with pliers. Then I stuck in a socket and used a standard hose clamp to gently get it back to round. I used ever increasing sized sockets as the pipe became rounder. I had to use a magnet one or twice for a socket that tried to go down the rabbit hole. In retrospect I should have had an extension on the socket or used deep well sockets. I did get it pretty round. I put on my new hose and used two hose clamps. The work trip was saved with no leaks. I've replaced that hose again in the interim and still no leaks 15 years later. I do still have that pipe if I ever have the dash apart far enough to reach the heater core.

Bottom line, as long as you don't crack or crease that pipe, you are very likely to get it back to round.

Thanks for the tips. Never had a heater core pipe be so flimsy on other vehicles - of course they were a lot older. I will try to work it back into shape. It looks like those parts aren't available for 1996.5 and older. My production date is June of 1996, so I am not sure if I have the "new" one or not.

Anyway, I will try to work it back into shape.

Just got off the phone with the machine shop. Apparently I hosed up one of the cylinders with the ridge reamer too much to clean up. Would have been nice if he would have told me that 6 weeks ago when I dropped the damn thing off.

Looking at just buying a short block assembly at this point. I'm sure it will get here lightning fast :)sarcasm:). Patience is a virtue, no? :confused:

funny, I literally did the same stupid thing two nights ago. I was able to get it back to mostly round and I’m going to put the hose on with a little rtv and hope for the best. I might pull the day when I get to the interior but for now I’ll let it ride. Those connectors are way too flimsy.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a new short block. Pretty pricey, and honestly a different path than I thought I would end up going down than when I first bought this rig. Good thing is the dealership said they think they can get it in by next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Really looking forward to getting back on the road.

Just got word that the short block assembly arrived at the dealership in Santa Fe. Probably won't be able to get down to pick it up until Friday - but I am still stoked.

Well, I think I finally got all of the "extra" parts ordered that I need to put the engine back together. In the meantime, I did start putting some things back together. New timing chain is on, and when I went to take the oil pump cover off to replace the gasket, 4 of the screws stripped. So, I drilled them out and backed them out with an extractor. Good to finally be putting parts back on.

1581724227675.png

Still waiting on parts. They were supposed to show up today according to the tracking number. Checked on the status - they are in GUAM! Seriously? Guam? Gotta love USPS. :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom